Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He's had 4 years to build the team into a playoff/Super Bowl contender and they've gone 14-34 after going 10-6 and narrowly missing the playoffs in 2015. Without looking at his draft record, that's enough reason to be on the hot seat. The team has gone backwards during his tenure. For every good draft pick he's made, there's 2 bad ones.

NYJetsO12, Brook!, dogg and 2 others like this.
  2. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I hope this whole front office is fired and burns to the ground. I literally despise every single person Who is involved with the draft decision making. Gase should hire his own gm make the picks with him. He is smarter then Mac

CBG and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

[​IMG]

AJW, NYJetsO12, HomeoftheJets and 3 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In fairness I don't think they've necessarily gone backward but they haven't progressed far or fast enough. I still don't see an coherent plan.

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

6. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

If he is saying Mac is in trouble and should be gone then he clearly loves the jets

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I totally agree but why now, why not fire at the same time as Bowles? What changed is the head coach so I if its true, Gase probably told the owner, who he reports directly, how unhappy he was with FA. I hope he gets fired and Hemmidenger takes over

CBG and stinkyB like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why Heimerdinger? Why not go with someone outside this failing organization?

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Both should've been fired after last season. What happens if Maccagnan gets the axe after this upcoming season, but Gase is retained? A new GM will likely want his HC and we'll have another Rex/Idzik situation where an unqualified candidate agrees to keep the HC and sets us back even more.

#49 CotcheryFan, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

100% correct.
    I'll add that coaching staffs will always want immediate action, while it's the job of the FO to plan long term.
    It's all part of the balance between the two roles.

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He's also found a legit QB, a bunch of blue chip young prospects, some really good FA's, and has done well with the cap.

Seat is definitely warm, but that's a solid foundation and I think the W/L record is about to start trending in the right direction.
    Besides, it's impossible to have gone backward from Idzik ;)

Attackett likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sometimes guys like that work out, other times they don't. Our problem is we don't have anyone qualified to figure that out in advance.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Our HC ran the operation in Miami and look how that worked out. I don't give a shit if he is pissed off …. ….I am not a fan of MAC either but I am pretty sure that CJ isn't about to can the guy now …

14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Weird stuff.

Mac was hired as a novice GM, like Bowles was hired as a novice Head Coach. It was hoped Mac would grow into the position. He's made many mistakes, but also achieved some notable success.
    • He got our FQB. Just having Darnold run the offense for the next 15 years is reason enough to support Mac. Herndon and Anderson are good young offensive talents to develop with Darnold.
    • Adams appears to be cornerstone for the Jets defense for a decade.
    • Hate them all you want, but Leo Williams, Jordan Jenkins, Marcus Maye and even Darron Lee are not busts. They are all contributors and starting players that just havent played up to their potential. Hopefully the new defensive coordinator can get more out of each of them.
    • Mac brought in all-pros like Bell and Mosely and some good talent like Crowder and Osemele and he hasnt busted the cap to do it.
    • Mac brought in Gase and G. Williams. I think most on this board now agree these were decent calls to develop Darnold and run a great defense.

OL is Mac's biggest weakness and he has a few days to address it. He needs to bring in a starting caliber center and another tackle to compete with Beachum. He also needs a CB.

Not sure why last nights draft would be a reason to fire Mac. Q Williams was considered a top 1-2 talent and he can pressure the QB and disrupt the backfield like no other draft prospect.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

Haven't heard it put that way but makes plenty of sense.

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Tony Pauline and Lombardi are like Manish... Just throw shit at the wall till it sticks.

17. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

If im the coach i want every good player i can get my hands on.

I dont care about contracts, bonuses and risks. Thats the GMs job.

No one has ever denied thay paradis was not good. But more than one team including denver could of given a larger contract than he got.

Im glad theres tension but its a coaches job to look at next week/ season and the GM to look at the project for the next 3 years.

However the rest of the draft has to be oline, TE and CB.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm grateful to Mac for drafting Darnold (and I hope I still am in a year from now). And he does a good job when he has a top 10 pick. But drafting a QB and picking in the top 10 are the two responsibilities he no longer has going forward (i.e. if we need to draft another QB or end up picking in the top 10 again, he's getting fired). What's most important from here on out is drafting in the middle rounds, which is exactly what he's worst at. That's why I wanted him gone after last season.

legler82, NYJetsO12, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

White I am not a huge fan of Mac, if the Jets really choose to go with Gase over him it just shows that we truly are still dysfunctional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.