Another tie between the Jets and Ed Oliver

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 19, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I sure hope that you're right!

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

all of those picks have disappointed, some slightly, some majorly, but all of them have been disappointing picks

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Thomas was a defensive end/edge rusher, not a DT. And while he lasted 11 years, he had 33 sacks in his career - or 3 a season. For a DE/pass rusher, that is horrible. I don't care how long he lasted in the league and as a Jet, he was a JAG. And a JAG who is a first round pick is a miss. And Dwayne Robertson was a bust. He had bone on bone arthritis and had a pedestrian 5-6 year career. That is also a bust for a first round pick and the #4 pick after a trade up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If we take Oliver with any two of Bosa, Williams and Allen still on the board then Gaggy should be fired on the spot. If you pick the consensus player and he doesn't work out then everybody got it wrong. If you go out on the limb and get it wrong then you should be instantly fired and I don't think Oliver matches up with any of the others even remotely but that is Gaggy's way.

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

So we are left with another year of drafting a DT who likely will disappoint and won't be on the team in 5 years. Who needs sacks???

6-10 once again and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

being disappointed is relative. some jet fans may be disappointed if darnold is "only a top 10 QB" and not a top 5 QB. some fans may be disappointed if darnold is a top 3 QB but allen, rosen, or mayfield wind up being the best QB in the NFL. disappointed is a relative term based on expectations. that's why a 4th rounder can be slightly worse then a 1st rounder but treated as a better player because they exceeded expectations when the 1st rounder fell short

7. GasedAndConfused

i never said he was DT? I said he was a solid starter for a long career. he also was a DE and then we switched systems and he basically beat out the better pass rushers for us to keep him and move him to OLB and trade the ones that didn't fit our system anymore. robertson we knew had a knee condition before drafting i'm not sure you can blame him for having somehting everyone knew about. we also again miscast him as a3-4 NT when that wasn't his string suit. blame the GM/coahcing staff for picking players that didnt' fit our system and forcing a square peg into a ronud hole

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

yes, but those were all first round picks and a reasonable expectation for a first round pick is that they should be (at least) a very solid starter for a long period of time - how many of those selections met that base level? None (with the jury still out on Williams), hence they were all disappointing picks

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Shouldn't the better help off the edge come from this draft? Bosa or Alllen? Where is the help on the edge for Williams? Year after year, the Jets load up on interior defensive linemen while ignoring the pass rush. Yes Donald is a rare talent, but other interior DL seem to move around quite a bit. Suh looked like an a one man wrecking crew coming out of college and he has been on numerous teams already, many of whom were happy to get rid of him after overpaying. It's time to draft someone to get after the passer. I'll be pissed if its Williams or Oliver. How many times can the same team make the same mistake?

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

I don't blame the player. I blame the FO for taking the player. That is exactly what everyone is doing here- blaming the front office for a string of bad DL picks. And you are not insinuating that Thomas "beat out" Abraham, are you?

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

with this team I would say the answer to that question is - many, many times.

6-10 once again likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

everyone but robertson (knee forced early retirement) and gholston (major bust) as i said in an earlier post

13. GasedAndConfused

i think you replied to the wrong post? i never said i wanted Q. i want an edge rusher or LT depending on who is there and if we can trade down.

with that said it seems to all be fake news. from what i gather the jets will take bosa if he falls to 3 (which is very possible) and if he doens't that means either Q or murray will be there and we can slide down and get a diferent edge rusher or even taylor at LT, but i think this year is the year to go edge and go LT next year

14. GasedAndConfused

that FO is long and gone and most of the picks werent' as bad as we made them out to be. and yes abraham was a much better edge rusher but he couldn't play OLB well so we traded him for mangold basically which was a great trade for us. and worked out well for ATL too as he still was a great edge rusher for them for 7 years and magold anchored our o-line for a decade. win win

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Thomas, Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson were all very solid starters for the Jets for a long time? I must have missed it.

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

He's confused. He thinks the Jets were not looking for Pro-Bowl players in the first round of drafts, only players that will stick on the roster for a few years, regardless of production.

17. GasedAndConfused

wilkerson was a stud and a pro bowler for us for 5 seasons. then he suffered a freak injury and was never the same or got lazy after his contract. either way it was a freak situation and wilkerson was a great player for us for 5 years. Thomas was here for 11 years and like 9 were as a starter. he moved from DE to OLB when we switched defenses and was solid all around. richardson was DROTY and a pro bwoler in his time here. not sure why he fell off so hard or what his deal is but he is still a starter in the NFL (just signed with cleveland after starting 1 season in minn and 1 in seattle) and is an above average player. we also traded him for a 2nd round pick (which helped us get darnold) and a slot WR who was decent. would you say ODB was a bad pick becuase he didn't start 10 years for the giants? or landry because he didn't start 10 years for the fins?

coples obviously was a huge bust

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

OK if you feel that our track record of drafting defensive linemen in the first round isn't poor then nothing i say is going to convince you :)

19. GasedAndConfused

i didn't say that at all. overall MT, idzik, TB and even Parcells didn't draft well. but none of that matter now and i do think mac has drafted well and i trust his judgement especially in the 1st round. all things considered I believe he has nailed 4 in a row (williams, lee, adams, darnold) so i trust his judgement here. doens't matter how other GMs did in the past for us

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

i am confused? my post was that we had drafted badly when it comes to DL and you seemed to be arguing with that point?