Another tie between the Jets and Ed Oliver

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 19, 2019.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Lions had picked 3 consecutive WRs with their first pick during 02-04 and then has a number 3 pick I believe (or 5?)in 2005, Marucci though an offensive guru at the time preferred DE Demarcus Ware because he was a cant miss prospect and everyone was on board with that. Then just just minutes before their pick, Matt Millen and group changes their minds and drafted WR Michael Williams.

The point of this? Mac not going to give a shit who Gregg Williams wants for the first pick. This is all on him. He ll pick the BPA.

FJF likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t know if I’ll ever forgive my dad for raising me a Jets fan.

NCJetsfan and 6-10 once again like this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

if nothing else this is a litmus test for Macc and his excuses

How he survived this long is a mystery to me but it has all the earmarks of throwing Bowles under the buss (who btw was already there through his own incompetence)

if the supposed missing ingredient was lack of CS input (a theory that has been contested) then Macc should want the CS to explain which players they want and why; not that he must follow them but he should be on the same page

Voices he should ignore are the fans and media, each of which are literally amateurs at this.

Regardless he needs to nail this pick w an immediate impact player or he's toast. Personally I expect him to trade back so that when he drafts at 15 or wherever he has a built in excuse that a player at that slot needs time to develop (ala Darron Lee)

When you look at Macc there is absolutely nothing that suggests "winner"

4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Ed Oliver’s trainer just posted a video of himself in a jets shirt saying that jets were definitely going to take Special Ed at 3... Ed put that video up on his Instagram story.

Seems like it’s all over folks. DT wins the day again

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

IMO, he survived Black Monday by selling a vision that the Johnsons bought into. What that vision is, I have no idea.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's not completely fair though.

thomas wasn't a difference maker, but he was at least a solid starter and lasted 11 years with us then retired. He wasn't a bad pick at all

robertson was misused in our defense sadly and never lived up to the "next warren sapp" label put on him, but again wasn't a terrible player or a bust. just wasn't worth where we drafted him

wilkerson was a beast and a pro bowler while playing on his rookie deal. IDK what happened with him but either a combination of getting his big contract and/or the major injury he suffered but he wasnt the same after that. still wilkerson for his 1st 5 seasons was a beast

richardson is an odd one. his 1st 2 years was great. he won DROTY and 1st team all rookie. in year 2 he made the pro bowl. yeah 3 he was ok but missed 5 games (4 was due to suspension not sure why he missed the 5th one, can't remember) but for the games he played he was good. then he just fell off but we were able to trade him for a 2nd round pick (and kearse) which we used to get darnold so overall not a bad pick

williams i don't get the hate on either. he's a great player. he made the all rookie team in 2015 and was a pro bowler in 2016. his stats aren't high because he's always getting doubled and tripled but his numbers will go up when he gets some better help off the edge

the only 2 busts on that list are gholston and coples IMO

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The sad thing is, I did it to myself.

9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I'm all aboard the Ed Oliver train if it happens. Gregg Williams will take his exceptional natural talents and l cater to them while minimizing exposure to his shortcomings.

10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

If you play DT, fuck yourself, we don’t want you.

Biggs and 6-10 once again like this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Williams is a very good DC. I agree completely hell figure it out. Great talent, great burst and motor and great leverage. I think he's going to be a great player.

Very few guys will remember this player. One of the best interior lineman the Jets ever had was John Elliot. He was often injured but he was an absolute impact player on our SB team. Relentless and at the time was one of the quickest interior lineman in football. He looked like a safety next to Defensive end Verlon Biggs. We don't get to the SB without Elliot. He created a different kind of mismatch and was really fun to watch when he was healthy. Oliver is big enough.

We draft Oliver will figure out how to use him and he will be a difference maker.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A HOFer that was a position of huge need was staring Bradway & Herm in the face...... Bryan Thomas will always be the guy "who wasnt Ed Reed".... it's ok, they got "John Lynch Lite" in the next round..... DILLY DILLY :mad::mad::mad:

13. GasedAndConfused

yeah that's the big issue is we could have had reed. but overall it was actually a really good draft for the jets believe it or not.

1st round: BT solid starter
    2nd round: mcgraw bust
    3rd round: chris baker - solid starter
    4th round: alan harper bust

so it does start off a little bad but then

5th round: goodwin pro bowl guard
    6th and 7th: no picks
    UDFA: Moore Pro bowl guard

so while people will focus on the 2 busts in the 2nd and 4th rounds and the fact BT was only a solid player and we passed on HOFer ed reed (not to mention right after we took mcgraw another pro bowl safety was drafted with the next pick so we could have had a "adams and maye" 2 pro bowl safties with our top 2 picks we did walk away with 2 pro bowl guards.

so with only having 5 picks we still walked away with 2 solid starters and 2 pro bowlers. not bad at all.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Thomas wasn't a bust but he was a very unpolished project coming into the NFL. He had no technique at all and it took him years to become more than a situational player. He wasn't a solid starter until his 5th year in the league. He had 5 solid seasons after his first 4 years. He wasn't exactly a starting player for 11 years.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

yeah he took a while to develop for sure. it was one of those draft the athlete who isn't a player things that rarely works out. but to be fair to BT as well remember he was drafted as a 4-3 DE and then we switched to a 3-4 defense after a couple of years and he moved to OLB and played well. not a lot of players can do that

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

After Idzik a retard gets at least 5 years.

17. I think hes an underrated Jet. Certainly not a ring of honor candidate but a reliable well rounded player who is green & white all the way.

He was also very generous & kind to fans as i witnessed many times at Training camp. He did however decline my request for a replacement to my #91 jersey(His originally picked # his rookie year) to the #99 he ended up wearing

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I've decided I won't flip out if we take Q Williams. But if we take Oliver, then well...

19. GasedAndConfused

lol yeah the only knock on him was that he wasn't ed reed. plus while he was a 1st rounder it was a pretty late one. had he been a 2nd rounder most would have said he was good pick. It's the same treatment lee is getting now form the fanbase. we seem to have this ongoing thing where if the jets take you in the 1st round and 2-3 years later you aren't a top 5 player at your position it was an awful pick, the player sucks, and the GM sucks.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dewayne Robertson... that is all...