Which prospects are visiting with the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 1, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Thanks for the analysis. Have you studied the tier 2 TE prospects?

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am sorry, I can't get behind the idea of drafting Fant. The explanations you all are offering are well researched, but the fact of the matter is that TE should be way down the list as far as positions drafted. I can't support it.

Our pass rush simply has to be addressed in one of the strongest drafts for EDGE/Dline prospects in a long time. The Jets have numerous weapons on offense, but the offensive line is an enormous concern. Young QB's careers have been ruined due to teams ignoring the Oline. Andrew Luck is an amazing QB, but with the lack of investment in the oline, he nearly had his career derailed.

If they don't improve the line play on both sides of the ball, this team isn't going anywhere.

Leicester Jet, jilozzo and FJF like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Herndon is OK at blocking, but he's not great at it. Hockenson would be the better pairing ala Gronk / Hernandez ... 2 TEs that can catch but cannot block at an elite level out there at the same time ... not a huge fan as it limits the number of things you can do when both are on the field.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's fine. No one said that you had to agree. I can understand your objections to it. I agree that our pass rush must be addressed.

The thing is the OL isn't going to get fixed this year even if one of McCoy or Jenkins fall to us at our 3a pick (and the odds of that are slim), and Mac drafts OL with both the 3b and 4th round draft picks. The odds of the OL taken at 3b and 4 replacing Winters are slim. They might improve depth this season and provide a replacement for Winters in a year or two.

They can add an NT like Olive Sagapolu who is a space-eating, run-stuffing NT quite possibly in the 6th round.

5. Ive seen a handful of the TEs including Sternberger,Wilson,Smith Jr.,& Nauta

Its a very good group overall.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

- Kahale Warring (San Diego St.) all-around, athletic sleeper.
    - Josh Oliver (San Jose St.) poor man's Noah Fant speed and matchup-wise..
    - Trevon Wesco (W. Va.) classic 2ndTE blocking beast who could be a day 3 steal. .

7. Fant is likely a similar level blocker to Herndon but comes from an Iowa team that pounds the football rain or shine.He’ll know how to stack the pads if called upon.

I think it depends on the offense & circumstances. But i think Herndon & Fant have different skill sets as receivers.Herndon has a thicker build quicker than fast & more short area in terms of route tree as well as an YAC threat.Fant is functional in short area but is at his best attacking the seam as well as deep portions of the field where he has elite ability based on Acceleration, fluidity,catching radius & body control. His movements on deep patterns is Shannon Sharp-esque.

Herndon can split out into the slot,Fant can split out to X. Both can box defenders out coming back to the football. The formations/Route combos/RPO’s Fant would add to whats already in place would be significant to say the least.

With what the Jets already have it’d easily catapult the overall talent level of the team. Maybe not in the spots we all would like..but the jets would have a top 10 skill group going away w a OL heavy 2020 class right around the corner..yea in a perfect world you build inside out..but if presented w an alternative that might be just as effective in the short or long term? In a trade down scenario where we’re landing a pass rusher and at least a 2nd rounder..Fant would be a good pick.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

We could also land a #1 WR in next year's draft which would elevate the offense even higher. I'm almost willing to forgo getting a WR this year if it means we land a 2nd TE who can be a receiving threat. Looks like there are some blue chip WR prospects who can make an immediate impact in 2020.

#28 CotcheryFan, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

What do you think of Myles Boykin ? I’d like to see him last into the late third round and have the Jets pluck him. I watched him play a few times and was impressed with his size and speed. I envision him becoming a # 1 WR with a little coaching . Imagine if the Jets plucked him with their late third or early fourth and he turned out to be better than advertised ? He probably won’t last that long.

One can dream ...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think Fant could have the same impact as a #1 WR, but even if that isn't the case, don't forget that we have to get our future LT next year, and hopefully, will be looking to add a new starting OG to replace Winters, and maybe even a RT to replace Shell. It will be a great draft for WRs and also for RBs, but OL needs to take the priority next year.

KurtTheJetsFan and CotcheryFan like this.
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Bosa not visiting.

12. CotcheryFan

He's raw when it comes to routes running and getting separation, but with some development can become a #1 WR. There's definitely the potential. Not sure he isn't taken by the time we pick in round 3.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think its pretty noteworthy that they are hosting Ed Oliver today, it may be a sign that a potential trade down is in order...

actually though, what would be interesting would be to look back at McCagnan's draft picks over the years and see if they visited with the player. Some GMs visit players for smokescreen/intel reasons only and rely on their draft board. Others you can gain great insight into who they are going to draft from their visits. Tannenbaum, you could practically predict who he was going to draft he valued the visits so much. Not sure which camp maccagnan is in