General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I did end up seeing Civil War early as I didn't want spoilers as I thought they may kill someone. Did go early for IW and bought tickets for Endgame. I never really did early tickets until the reserved seating started. Now it is so easy to just buy tickets to seats you want at a time you want. If you can't get decent seats, just go to a different show.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Might be close to a billion dollar opening weekend

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

More footage and it looks awesome!

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I deleted the Internet from my life when Infinity War premiered internationally since we had to wait a week for it to release in the US, and I'm planning to do the same here.

phubbadaman likes this.
  5. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

6. The Dark Knight

It looks like a serious movie. Heavy. Creepy. Eerie. I'm looking forward to it.

7. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

Yeah but is anyone gonna play batman in it? Or its all pre-,joker history..kind of a constant tease

8. The Dark Knight

I know Thomas Wayne (Batman's Dad) is in it. I think a young Bruce Wayne is also rumored. So Batman will be much younger than this version of The Joker.

Hackenberg likes this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Finally saw the Apollo 11 documentary this weekend. Terrific movie that documents the greatest single achievement of humanity since ice cream.

10. The Dark Knight

Anyone see Shazam! yet? I might go this week. Not sure what is out right now. Dumbo? No thanks. Hellboy? @Cman60 said was awful. So I think the only choice is Shazam! which got pretty good reviews.

11. phubbadaman

Shazam looks fun, but I'm too uninterested in DC movies to go to the theater. Will watch once it becomes available to stream/buy. My boys are going to see Missing Link tomorrow with my wife's cousin. It is getting decent reviews, but performed terribly at the box office.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I was pleasantly surprised by Shazam. Wifey even enjoyed it. We weren't expecting anything and got entertained for our movie dollar. Plot was ok. CGI was ok and honestly, just a tad bit understated for modern super hero movies which actually added to the movie's charm. It didn't hurt that the entire movie was shot against a Philly backdrop so we knew were a few of the things were. The producers played it safe with this and it succeeded. Unlike Hellboy. (Red Alert!)

13. The Dark Knight

Good review of Shazam! You explained it well. I saw it today and had fun. Nothing special or serious, but still they did a good job for a character like Shazam. I'd probably give it a B or B-.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

When it comes to CGI, I'm slowly moving into the less is more camp.

stinkyB and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

Agreed. The CGI in Shazam! was okay, except for those 7 deadly sins creatures. They looked pretty weak. That would be my complaint about the film. Sometimes it is funny, then other times it feels like a horror movie a little too intense for children. They should have balanced the tone a little better.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

17. phubbadaman

This movie looks like it is for kids and my kids want to see it based on that preview.

18. The Dark Knight

Haha, definitely for kids. I just don't like how Sonic looks. Jim Carey looks like his old self in this at least. Over the top!

19. The Dark Knight

Looks good. I enjoyed IT, so a sequel that adds Jessica Chastain, Bill Hader and James McAvoy sounds great to me! The kids were great in the first one. I never saw the tv mini-series or read the book, so I don't know how it ends. Hopefully it is good.

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'A Rape in a Small Town: The Florence Holway Story'. What a gut-wrenching documentary. Not an easy watch. I felt so much anger, sadness (I flinched more than once and cried), pity, and disgust, but it's a very important film and Florence and her spirit are beyond awe-inspiring. It's also beyond infuriating. I wanted to punch the prosecutor in the face repeatedly.

Florence was brutally beaten to within an inch of her life and brutally raped when she was 75. I'm talking hogtied, the worst you could possibly imagine. She managed to escape by keeping her wits about her. I don't know how she did it, especially given how wounded she was and she was very physically frail to be to begin with.

Anyway, flat out attempted murder IMO, but the moronic prosecutor only went for 12 years because it was a 'first offense'. Hell no it wasn't, it was just the first time that he got caught. She kept petitioning and petitioning and petitioning and he wasn't hearing any of it.

Florence said he's done it before and he will do it again as soon as he's released. Yep, you guessed it, he was right back at it like clockwork. I hated her rapist so much I could barely breathe. At his parole hearing, smug, unremorseful, scripted answers. Florence with a spirit of steel said (not verbatim, but close enough), "Would you please look at me? You're talking as if I'm not even in the room. You never even apologized to me for harming me and raping me." What does this POS do? Turns around like a real smartass to face her and says all snotty-like, "I'm sorry Florence." I wanted to hit him in the face with a hammer.

I'm pretty sure the full movie is available on YouTube. Good luck with not wanting to kill that fckn guy. All I kept thinking about was my Grandma even though she's no longer here and it made me feel homicidal. It's more about Florence's fight, spirit, and injustice than the savagery and depravity of the crime, but obviously the story couldn't have been told without it. Recommended for importance even though the subject matter is pretty hard to take.