Which prospects are visiting with the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 1, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...fl-draft-prospects-are-visiting-with-the-jets

With that said, here are the prospects we know about so far.

Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky

[​IMG]
    Rich Cimini

✔@RichCimini

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan not in attendance at Kentucky pro day, but the #Jets have a pre-draft visit scheduled with star pass rusher Josh Allen, who is from Montclair, NJ.

12:32 PM - Mar 22, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan

[​IMG]
    Andrew Siciliano

✔@AndrewSiciliano

Michigan DL Rashan Gary tells me @nflnetwork that he's already visited the Jets. He also has meetings scheduled with the Buccaneers, Jaguars, Bengals , Seahawks, 49ers and Raiders.#UpToTheMinute

4:21 PM - Mar 28, 2019
    See Andrew Siciliano's other Tweets

Ed Oliver, DL, Houston

[​IMG]
    Aaron Wilson@AaronWilson_NFL

Ed Oliver to visit Saints, Bills Falcons, Giants, Jets, Raiders, among several others, met privately with Ravens DL coach Joe Cullen here in Houston

1:04 PM - Mar 28, 2019

“Well Dressed” Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State

[​IMG]
    Matt Lombardo

✔@MattLombardoNFL

I’m told talented #PennState CB Amani Oruwariye has local workouts scheduled with the #Giants and #Jets. One of the rangiest CBs in this #NFLDraft class, here’s what you need to know, including the All-Pros he models his game after. https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/03/nfl-draft-2019-penn-state-cb-amani-oruwariye-set-to-workout-for-giants-jets.html …

6:55 AM - Mar 20, 2019
    [​IMG]
    NFL Draft 2019: Penn State CB Amani Oruwariye set to work out for Giants, Jets
    Penn State's Amani Oruwariye is among the top cornerback prospects in the 2019 NFL Draft class.

nj.com

Erik McCoy, C, Texas A&M

Link

Yeah, I have quite a few over the next month. I have some private visits set up with the Ravens, Panthers, Rams, Cardinals and Jets.

Yodny Cajuste, T, West Virginia

[​IMG]
    Manish Mehta

✔@MMehtaNYDN

West Virginia OT Yodny Cajuste is an interesting prospect. He will be making a pre-draft visit to the Jets soon, per source.

Ian Rapoport

✔@RapSheet

West Virginia offensive tackle prospect Yodny Cajuste underwent surgery to repair his quad muscle yesterday from Dr. William Meyers in Philly, source said. Surgery went as expected and the Big 12 co-O-lineman of the year should be fully cleared in three months.

9:57 AM - Mar 29, 2019

Ugo Amadi, DB, Oregon

[​IMG]
    Ian Rapoport

✔@RapSheet

#Oregon’s versatile DB Ugo Amadi, the 2018 Lombardi Award winner, is visiting the #Bears today on a pre-draft visit, source said. He’s got the #Jets and #Steelers this week, as well.

10:58 AM - Apr 1, 2019

Shareef Miller, EDGE, Penn State

[​IMG]
    Adam Schefter

✔@AdamSchefter

Penn St. DE Shareef Miller starts his visits Monday with the Baltimore Ravens, before going on to the Arizona Cardinals and the NY Jets.

11:34 AM - Mar 31, 2019

Albert Huggins, DL, Clemson

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sports Illustrated

✔@SInow
    Clemson DT Albert Huggins, who boosted his stock filling in for Dexter Lawrence in the national title game, has worked out for the Falcons and Bengals, and will visit the Jets.
    @KalynKahler’s Friday draft notes: http://go.si.com/ZNE14Qw
    6:20 PM - Mar 30, 2019

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is a small window into what I was saying in a previous post. Evaluating (bashing?) a GM after the draft, after seeing where all 1200 players went, seeing how they all did in their rookie seasons, is super easy.

But looking at a long list of 500 players and figuring out which one(s) to take over some other players, it really really tough. I'm surprised GM EVER get it right!

Such a crap shoot.

3. NCJetsfan

The draft is a crapshoot anyway, but it's made even moreso by the way it unveils. A GM can have all the right or best players for his team prior to the draft, and he may not have the opportunity to draft even one of them, unless he trades up/down, or reaches for one/some of the players. Then he's having to go his 2nd options, or perhaps going in a totally different direction. Because GMs have varying philosophies and priorities, their teams have different systems and different needs, it can be very difficult to project where a player might fall in the draft. That's why it's wise not to "fall in love" with a prospect. Identify several players at a position that you hope to draft that you think can help your team, then go with your team's ranking system and hope for the best. Just going strictly BPA can work, and it can also not work for a team. While one might be less likely to miss going strictly BPA, one might not ever be able to upgrade certain positions in the draft. Team needs also "need" to be taken into account.

westiedog1, NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.
  4. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Holy crap, how did I not know Allen went to Montclair High?!? I grew up around that town and had absolutely no clue.

5. NCJetsfan

Josh Allen is visiting today. Noah Fant visited yesterday. I'm sure it was just due diligence on the Jets' part, but this board would explode if the Jets traded down with Washington to #15, eschewed taking an elite edge rusher and took Noah Fant! Fant would be a huge add to our offense, but I can't imagine passing up on the opportunity to take an elite edge-rushing prospect, especially one who is equally adept at dropping into coverage.

Pepsiguy5, K'OB and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In the unlikely scenario that both Allen and Bosa are taken 1,2

In the extremely unlikely event that both Allen and Bosa are drafted ..Fant could be in play ..I saw some tape on him he's great but can he also block??

Sams going to have a smorgasbord of backs and receivers to throw to..wow

7. NCJetsfan

No, he's not much of a blocker. He's pretty much pure receiver and is a deep threat.

8. He has a shannon sharpe feel to his game.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If they can trade down to get Fant in the first, one if the good centers in the 2nd, and then a cornerback in the 3rd. This offense would have to potential to be top 5. Mac would completely change the narrative of himself. Sure I guess we wouldn’t have solved the pass rusher need but they would have essentially filled every hole besides that and I figured we weren’t going to fill every need this year anyway.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do we need Fant? I thought folks where high on Herndon and he was set to be our star TE for ages.
    I don't think there is any need whatsoever to be throwing away a first round draft pick on a TE.

DefenseWinsChampionships and FJF like this.
  11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I know little to nothing about Noah Fant, but I don’t like the idea of us drafting a TE in the first half of the 1st round this year. That would flat out suck. Center, Tackle, OLB, CB are all bigger needs by far.

Jets drafting their backup TE in round 1? Let’s forget about this idea so we don’t will it into existence...

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You are right..

I am just being hypothetical here with no pass rushers available

What I don't want is Mac pushing the Doody button and once again getting a DL in Q Williams (even though he's supposed to be very talented)

So in this scenario will Mac draft a Center or Tackle ??? The guy never does what he is supposed to do!

So Based on his recent history in FA that's why maybe he takes a flashier player and leave us all speechless...ahahahaha

less than 2 weeks to go before Music Time in Nashville

#13 NYJetsO12, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  13. NCJetsfan

As I said above, I'm not advocating this, but rest assured that it wouldn't be throwing away our first round pick taking Fant. Do we need Fant? Does any offense need a dynamic TE with perennial All Pro if not HOF potential? Herndon's a nice player, but I don't think he has anywhere near the receiving talent that Fant does. Please see the rest off my response below.

Fant would NOT be the backup TE, I assure you. Fant and Hockenson are not your two average TEs who come into the draft. Both are projected to be very good NFL players if not stars and perennial All Pros. If you have time and the interest, I recommend you look at some video of them. They are dynamic players, and I would LOVE to have one of them on the Jets.

While I am not in favor of trading down and taking Fant, he would in effect be our #1 receiver, much like Gronk became for the Pats. Fant could easily become the best TE in the NFL within a couple of years. Yes, we have bigger needs, but don't forget, the draft isn't just about needs. It's about upgrading the talent level of the team, and Fant would certainly do that. Remember also that Gase likes to run two TE sets.

In fact, with a tandem of Fant and Herndon, depending upon whom drafts Hockenson, we'd probably have the best TE corps in the NFL. Those two would be lethal, much like having Allen and Houston at OLB would be for the D in pressuring opposing QBs. Also, think of how much that would help Sam, and the nightmares that opposing DCs would have trying to stop Bell, Fant, Herndon, Crowder, and Anderson or Enunwa. Finish fixing/upgrading the OL next year, and we could have one of the best, most dynamic offenses in the NFL.

Since we'd be trading down to #15, we'd be getting their 2nd round pick so we would have a good chance of getting one of McCoy and Jenkins, and if not, we'd get a very good CB or WR prospect. With their first next year, we'd pretty much be assured of getting our future LT and maybe future RT or a stud shut down CB, or anything else we wanted out of that draft.

As far as Tackle goes, we probably aren't getting one of those anyway, unless Tytus Howard, Greg Little, or Yodney Cajuste happen to still be there at one of the Jets 3rd round picks, and even then, I'm not sure Mac would pull the trigger.

There are by far worse moves Mac could make in the draft, like staying put and taking Q. Williams over Allen

#14 NCJetsfan, Apr 14, 2019
  14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am not a supporter of taking Q. Williams, but I favor that move over taking a TE. Q. Williams is viewed by many as the best player in the draft. TE would be a luxury pick and no way do I support that. Chris Herndon is going to be a stud.

#15 PennyandtheJets, Apr 14, 2019
  15. Q williams is just as much of a luxury pick if not more. Fant & Herndon can both split out wide & all over offensive formations.This is positionless football.Weapons for match ups.”We already have a tight end” need not apply

16. NCJetsfan

I totally agree! I think Q. Williams will only be a stud in the right defensive alignment (4-3, where he is playing the 3 technique). Any other alignment and his talents will be wasted. He doesn't have a position on the Jets, and would be a MUCH worse pick than Fant imo.

CotcheryFan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. I think Fant would be a really interesting pick if we trade down.He’d fit w whats already here & would give Gase a ton of flexibility schematically.

It also indirectly protects Darnold.Any second level box defender is gonna have to think twice before blitzing w both Herndon & Fant being able to split out at any given time & execute any route.

Fant has the potential to be a #1 weapon for an offense

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Isn't Hockenson the better TE prospect? Anyways, we need skill players who can cause mismatches and strike fear into opposing defenses.

I've been looking at the 2nd tier of TE prospects because I assume Edge will be the round 1 selection. I like Wilson, Oliver, and Sternberger as possible options in rounds 3 and 4. Any one of these guys can become an impact player with some development IMO. I'm probably overlooking a few prospects here.

#19 CotcheryFan, Apr 14, 2019
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. Theyre both legit prospects who are versatile in their own way but Hockenson is more of an H back w plus blocking skills, Fant is a true hybrid w ability down the seam as well as split wide over the top.Fant isnt the blocker Hockenson is however

NCJetsfan likes this.