Entirely Hypothetical: Darnold or Mayfield?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Apr 10, 2019.

?

Trade Darnold for Mayfield?

1. Yes

8.0%
  2. No

92.0%
  1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Only time will tell, and I’m not even saying which is better or which will be better. Just my personal preference.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wanted Rosen because he was the most polished passer, with Mayfield being my second choice. I had soured on Darnold because of his turnovers and throwing motion. After he was announced as the pick, I put any disappointment I had from not taking Rosen aside and rooted for him. His personality made it easy to support him. I still needed to see him play well in games that count and he was inconsistent in his first 9 games. But, after his 4 game stretch to close the season, I became convinced that we took the right QB. With better weapons and more consistency(which should come over time), Darnold can ascend to the top QB from the 2018 class in a year or two. His plays in and out of the pocket were impressive. The throwing motion is no longer a concern. So, right now, I wouldn't trade Sam for Baker.

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Not a chance.

I firmly believe in 5 years people will think this was a ridiculous question.

Sam Hammer and Attackett like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mayfield could have easily started day one. Their genius HC decided it would be better to start the veteran. Mayfield was patient and bided his time. He didn't create any waves AFAIK.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Baker is likely going to be a top 5 QB but I question how well he would fit in NY. I dont think he would handle the media well and he would be causing constant drama. He is where he belongs in Cleveland.

No QB outside maybe Rosen had it worse than Darnold last year. Darnold was constantly throwing in 3rd and long situations with no pass protection. His ability to feel the rush, and create time is what makes him a potentially great QB. Last year he created offense by himself with little to no help. I cant wait to see what he does this year. His personality also fits NY. Of the top 3 QBs only Darnold can handle NY.

That being said I will root for Baker and for Sam. Both Cleveland and Jet fans deserve to win.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I wanted Mayfield last year but didn't think we had a shot at Darnold. I'm happy with what we have now.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Posts like this really let you know it's the middle of the off-season.

abyzmul and PennyandtheJets like this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Darnold, Mayfield and Allen I believe will all have varying degrees of success in this league.
    They were all in sketchy situations at best in their rookies seasons, and still managed to progress as the year went on.
    Mayfield was clearly the most NFL ready, as he's a little older and more experienced, but that learning gap is going to close somewhat quickly.

Darnold is the best of the bunch for me though, and I can't believe we got him.
    I wouldn't change anything in that regard.

Brook! likes this.
  9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Agreed on both points. If you look back on my posts this time last year, I was rarely (if ever) mentioning Sam's name bc I thought he was going to be a Brown or Giant. I was always in on the Rosen vs Baker chats because that's the two we were linked to.

With that said, in a perfect world, I see Darnold having more longevity.

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

It certainly does, but it is fun/harmless.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

How so?

Not saying I don't agree...just wondering why you think that.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Think it's wishful thinking more than anything haha. I think age, stature, and playing style are all factors.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

This will be a fun thread in about 3 years. I wouldn't sleep on Rosen or Allen at this point. It's a little early to anoint anyone from last years draft class as an elite NFL QB or a bust. As bad as we think the situation Darnold was in last year, it was miles better than the situation both Allen and Rosen were in. Mayfield walked into a terrific situation. Zero expectations on a team loaded with talent from drafting early for years.

It looks like the Bills have put some money into the OL in the offseason. Rosen is in limbo until the draft. I could easily see this entire class do well or bust out. I don't think Darnold has the bust potential as the other 3. I still think Allen, Darnold and Rosen have great upside. I think Darnold is ahead of all 4 guys right now. I have a feeling Mayfield is a lot closer to his top than to his bottom. He will be under enormous pressure to stack wins next year. The Browns have no excuses not to win the division with the talent they have collected.

abyzmul and Dierking like this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I wouldn't write the career of Rosen off, but it would be a bad sign if they take a QB with the #1 overall pick. Means they quit on him after only his rookie season...

Sam Hammer likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

In his defense, they did absolutely nothing to help him. He needs to get out of there honestly, but I don't even know which situation would benefit him the most. Certainly not the Giants. Maybe the Skins? Although they've been losing talent left and right too. It's funny, Buffalo is doing all they can to help their guy and he probably won't even make it to a second contract while the Cardinals had the better QB and gave him a pile of shit to work with.

Noam likes this.
  16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I say no but merely bc I don't have enough information to decide.

Darnold joined a team with an outbound coaching staff and limited weapons, with a span of time missing all of his starting WRs.

Baker joined a team with far more immediate weapons, and closer to winning.

Taking stats aside, I like what my eye has shown me on both of these guys. So I wouldn't trade Darnold for Baker no. But I think they both shape up as studs.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I'll give you my QB take Monday morning. . Have a nice weekend.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No it doesnt.. dysfunctional organizations do dysfunctional shit. Arizona is just on board the Kingsbury circus ride.

Idk if Rosen will pan out or not, but someone is gonna get a steal. The previous year’s arguably top QB going into the draft for a second round pick!

I hope it’s the Giants because Darnold/Rosen we’re rivals in the same city in college, would be cool if it was the same in the NFL

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The level of homerism in this thread is both hilarious and scary.

No one outside of NYC would take Darnold over Mayfield.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm from CT. Shockingly, you are wrong.

Brook! likes this.