General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I wanted to see First Man but due the reviews and some of the political shit I decided not to but I think I'm going to see this in IMAX this weekend:

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Posted this in the July 20th, 1969 thread the other day. I am all over this documentary. I'm dying to see it.

3. Rollo Tomassi

As a 10 year old this was one of my most vivid childhood memories--whole family sitting around the black and white TV watching the moon landing.

Life Magazine was incredible back then with all the photos.

4. jetophile

Yep, same except I was 5. Check out the other thread. Unfortunately a couple of pictures and videos disappeared, most notably Buzz Aldrin punching out some pain in the ass.

5. Rollo Tomassi

Lol I seen it.

6. jetophile

Hahaha, it never gets old; but it might disappear again. The other one that I had up showed the punch in slow motion 3 times. Look at that stance. What a pugilist.

7. jetophile

Hahahahahahahaha. "Take your stuff and get the fck out." I have to cross post this in there, I'm dying here.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Looks good. First Man was great too. Not sure why there was negativity around it.

9. Rollo Tomassi

We’re seeing Apollo 11 in IMAX today at 3:00.

10. Rollo Tomassi

Apollo 11. If you were alive back then and/or was a fan of the early space program, definitely see it. On the big screen. Moving the monstrous Saturn 5 rocket to the launch site and the takeoff scenes were great. Some of the inflight shots and moon shots were never seen before and were spectacular.

Having said that, it is pretty slow in parts which is surprising for an 1:30 minute film.

Lots of split screen shots of the thousands of people working behind the scenes at Cape Canaveral, Houston Space Center and the rows upon rows of computers and terminals and reporters and people watching the launch, which could have been cut back.

Good movie but it helps if you were a fan back then.

#250 Rollo Tomassi, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  11. jetophile

'The Killing Fields' (1984) with Sam Waterston, Haing S. Ngor, John Malkovich, Julian Sands, Craig T. Nelson, and Spalding Gray. What a harrowing movie. I'm talking harrowing. I was speechless walking out of the movies when I saw it. The craziest thing aside from the fact the Haing S. Ngor never acted professionally in his life (he won Best Supporting Actor) is that in REAL life he suffered horribly under Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. I have no idea how he had the psychological fortitude to re-live ANY of that. Read up on the guy, it's amazing stuff. Then of course he comes to the U.S. and gets gunned down during a mugging, but there are a lot of theories that it wasn't a robbery gone bad but a hit. It wouldn't surprise me. Anyway, put it on your list. Just be prepared to lose some sleep.

12. The Dark Knight

Finally watched Green Book last night. It really was a great film and deserving of Best Picture. Viggo Mortenson deserved Best Actor too, though Rami Malek did a great job. Mahershala Ali also deserved his second Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 3 years as he was fantastic. Still hard to believe Green Book was directed by the same guy who directed Dumb and Dumber, but in some ways it actually makes sense. Both films are more similar than you would think. Both are road trip movies, both about two guys bonding, and having great chemistry on screen together. Highly recommend Green Book.

13. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I'm thinking John Wick is back!!! Can't wait for this. Really enjoyed 1 and 2.

14. Rollo Tomassi

Looks pretty good. Loved 1, 2 was a bit meh. This looks closer to 1 than 2.

15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

2 was all set up for the third one in my opinion.

16. The Dark Knight

I liked Chapter 2 a lot. Great action movie.

17. jetophile

The documentary 'Music for Elephants'. There are no words, and I can't recommend this film enough. Right up there with my love for raptors and whales, but my love for elephants surpasses them. Given their cognizance and a form of intelligence that we'll never be able to fully understand makes it all the more shameful the way we abuse and mistreat them.

It's such an amazing movie, uplifting and devastating at the same time. You can't see this film and not feel a little changed somehow. The elephants at the sanctuary in Thailand where it was filmed did destroy the piano because, well, size, and they were really depressed and demanding when his concert piano was being salvaged and repaired, so the pianist had to up his flute game for a while.

The elephants that are blind at the sanctuary are blind from years of abuse from logging forests. Website:

http://www.musicforelephants.com/

And guess what Creationists? Evolution is happening before your very eyes. Male African elephants are being born tuskless in response to poaching and scientists are in agreement that it ain't no fluke. Opinion has it when the poaching levels drop considerably - which is questionable - the tusks will re-appear in populations in heavily poached areas. Ask me if I feel bad when canned hunts/trophy hunting and poaching go wrong and the elephants say fck you, you killed our leader and stomp the shit out of them. "jeto, do you feel bad?" "Not really." It's a very complicated social issue and I realize that poaching is often fueled by desperate people, but don't believe everything you're told to the letter.

This is an excellent organization re: African elephants. Mods can remove link if they feel it's "promoting" or whatever that rule used to be.

https://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

EDIT: GAH! I left out my love for primates!!! How is that possible?! Ask me anything!

#257 jetophile, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Avengers Endgame tickets are up. Hour long waits on Fandango, AMC website crashing, Regal taking forever to load. The local theater pulled a quick one on me and didn't release their tickets on Fandango, I had to go to the Regal website to buy them and I ended up having to drive to a Regal 30 minutes away... Not too bad for a midnight premiere.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I was furiously pressing F5 until I was able to pick my seats and purchase them. This movie is going to be huge

NYJFOREVER and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. The Dark Knight

I have never ordered tickets early for The Avengers, Age of Ultron, or Infinity War. I think I may have to for End Game with all the craziness I am hearing about. Can't be too careful.