Gase Press Conference 3/26

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Mar 26, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't want to insult or put down Bowles, but watching that Gase press conference made me feel like the Jets replaced their 2nd grade Math teacher with a Calculus Professor.

Royal Tee, NYJetsO12, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

A lot more energetic and that jumped right out at me

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

One thing I got out of that conference - I am pretty sure the Jets are looking for another RB - most likely third or fourth round. After all that talk of not wearing Bell out. McGuire is OK but probably more of a third option rather than a second option.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The guy did have a great record in close games. Hopefully he really is a genius coach who was hampered by terrible QB play and a terrible roster. I'd prefer not to think about the alternative.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He’s definitely a top football mind...sharp and thoughtful answers

I’m on the side of him overachieving with the Dolphins roster so I feel pretty optimistic about our chances going forward

SOJAZ, b.reyes16, Mr mittens and 2 others like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Seemed like he actually cared about football. Somehow the Jets haven't had that for awhile at Head Coach.
    He definitely is an intelligent coach, who understands the game of football, but that does not mean he can relate to the players or bring together the team as a unit to rally around him. That is the part I am worried about, but I am optimistic he can.
    Agreed.

7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think this would be taking openness and honesty too far.

8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

At this point in their careers, they all sound great, don't they? Rex's enthusiasm was so refreshing after the staid Mangini, the somber Bowles was so refreshing after the circus of Rex. If this guy is so great, how come he wasn't wearing a Jets cap?

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I like that he was a little more open than most coaches. I liked hearing talk about zone and man and how he'd use Bell Herndon and Crowder. Like many said it gives you a little incite to his thought process. Like what I hear. My bigger fear is relating to the players and not upsetting them like what happened in Miami. If he can get Darnold and Adams on board then he should be ok. I think Darnold and him will be good. Like to see how Adams and him relate. He reminds me a little of Mangini. I'd be happy if he is. I thought Mangini was a good coach but not winning enough and inexperience and upsetting players sunk him. Hopefully Gase learned from his first expereince and he relates better to the players and wins. We'll see but a few good steps since January.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

new unis haven't dropped yet

Mr mittens likes this.
  11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I remember when we lost at home to the Dolphins last year

I specifically out loud said to myself

“Damn their coach is shredding our coach “

Watching all these crazy semi tricky plays getting the ball quickly into the hands of their speed demons any way possible

I specifically wondered why more coaches don’t game plan like this

Whatever
    We will see

Royal Tee likes this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I liked what he had to say, but the baseball cap is definitely a security blanket and a comfort zone thing because . . .

If Gase turns out to be a good coach and the Jets didn't actually fck up (imagine that) Gase's tic could become legend for all the right reasons. I hope he comes out and talks about it at some point. It could be a real morale booster for people who have to live with the adversity of something like this. There's no denying at this point that something's going on there.

Maybe he doesn't feel it's necessary because it's rather obvious, may be he's sensitive about it and it rattles his cage to even go there. What was this about again?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Glad your open minded but this post is about comparing his media skills to our last coach. As a fan, I would like to know how my coach feels about the team and mission accomplished. That's all, nobody is anointed him coach of the year or giving him a pass on winning games. BTW, the Dolphins are a horror show and have been before for years. There owner is a rich fool who hired Mr. T to over pay for aging players so there cap situation could become obscene. So I would wear it as a badge of honor to be let go by the team and fans I hate more then any in sports.

14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Excellent repsonse

15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

A coaches "media skills" are completely meaningless to me--win on Sundays, and I don't care if he just stands silently at the podium for the duration of a press conference. Lose on Sundays, and he can give world-class soliloquies to the press all he wants, he's useless to me.

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Coach speak does very little for me. I generally prefer the Bowles approach of saying nothing during press conferences. Unfortunately, he compounded terrible press conferences with very little success.

I'm keeping an open mind on Gase, but I'm not going to pretend he isn't coming to the Jets as a sub .500 coach.

Just win. Thats literally all I care about.

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

From what I hear Belicheck is great away from the cameras. Great sense of humor likable relatable etc. In front of the cameras he is a snooze fest and cranky. Like you say. Media skills is part of what a coach does but if that is there least effective skill and they excel at everything else who cares. Gase says more than Bowles so I think we'll like that. On the other hand he does seem uncomfortable up there that will make for some interesting outtakes. Hopefully he gets more comfortable so there aren't that many outtakes and we all can just focus on wins and improving the team.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I like a coach with good media skills. I like him to be entertaining (especially to me!). I watched ALL of Rex's pressers, only watched 1 or 2 of Bowles.

19. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I have high hopes, but.......

Imma need to see a winning season first.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

How about losing and sucking with media skills for 4 years? Well until we start playing ball this is all we got and your in the minority my friend because it does not matter that he communicates well with the fan base. And it won’t make losing any better but it will add to our winning ways which will be 2019. You and Beningo can feel sorry for yourselves while we enjoy the present