If Bosa and Allen go 1 - 2?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Harpua, Mar 7, 2019.

?

Who is your third choice

1. Jonah Williams

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Quinnen Williams

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. DK Metcalf

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Ed Oliver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jawaan Taylor

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Brian Burns

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Other

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

There seems to be a bit of a consensus that Bosa or Allen are the top Edge guys among Jets fans and seem to be among most of the top choices around from us. So simply put, our worst case scenario, if they are gone and we don’t trade back, who’s your number 3 pick?

2. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

Just an FYI. Since 2000, there have been only 2 drafts (2000) and (2013), where a QB has not been drafted in the top 3 picks. Odds are one of the two fall to the Jets. In the unlikely scenario that nobody trades up for a QB, you draft Q. Williams.

stinkyB, themorey, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Both Allen and Bosa being taken and not being able to trade back would suck!! Who I would take would depend upon how I had them rated, what the team's needs are, and how much of a difference maker that player would be in our systems.

I don't think Quinnen Williams is a fit in our 3-4 D, and he had only one year of top level production in college, so he wouldn't be a consideration at all for me even though others think he is one of the 3 best or perhaps the best player in the draft.

I wouldn't consider Metcalf at all because of his lack of production, his injury history, and the probability of his being a one-trick pony. I think that he is a classic boom or bust prospect. We already have a one-trick pony deep threat in Anderson, and imo when you have as little talent as we have, you can't risk your first round pick on a boom or bust prospect or take a one-trick pony so high, so Metcalf wouldn't be a consideration for me, either.

I think that Ed Oliver is also a boom or bust prospect and not a good fit for our D, so he wouldn't be a consideration either.

I think Jonah Williams will be an OG in the NFL, and imo no OG not named Quenton Nelson is worthy of being taken in the first round, so he wouldn't be a consideration, either.

That leaves Brian Burns and Jawaan Taylor. Most draft sites have Taylor rated higher, but RT isn't as important as edge rusher, and the Jets already have a decent RT in Shell if he will not suffer any lasting effects from his injury. Either player would be a reach at #3, but reaching for a player one really likes, that will fit one's system, and is rated a top 10 or 20 player is better than taking a player that doesn't fit your system and then trying to force him in somehow. More than likely, I would go with Burns unless I had Taylor rated that much higher than Burns as a prospect. I think Taylor would definitely upgrade the RT position and Shell would provide very good depth at RT. Taylor may even be able to play LT with some further development.

#3 NCJetsfan, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Why not just say "Since 2001, there's only been 1 draft?"

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jonah Williams, at worst he can be a potential all pro at guard. Burns is right there, but I think 3 is a little too high.

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

In this situation it would be wonderful to trade down with a team looking for a QB. If we couldn't do that, it would be great if Mac had the balls to draft Murray anyway and make a team trade for him.

If we absolutely couldn't trade down, I would draft Williams.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This would be a worst case scenario I think. If Bosa and Allen go 1-2 and nobody wants to trade up to 3, I think you have to take the BPA in Q. Williams.

I wouldn't be happy, but I would understand the pick.

cgrec likes this.
  8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Jonah looks meh to me. Not strong, not big. I assume he must be good with his hands/technique. I would pass on him at 3.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Trade down. No way I take Q. Williams, or Metcalf, and the others aren't worth the #3 pick. This would be draft hell.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If you are using the College Football Championship as your main scouting on Jonah, then yeah he would be a meh prospect. He's pretty strong, especially in the run game. He's had success against speed rushers when he's using the right technique. Ferrel made him his bitch, but I don't think that Jawaan Taylor is a LT. Ed Oliver I might be intrigued with. I love Brian Burns, 3 might be too high

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

If Bosa and Allen go 1-2 I'm just going to go and fuck myself.

12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

This.

I'd rather move down and take Sweat and grab Olinemen and WRs or RBs with extra picks.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Take Q, I don’t believe this situation has a chance of happening but playing along with the scenario he’s the right pick.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Your missing the entire point of this

FJF likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Since Quinnen Williams isn't a fit for the 3-4 D alignment and is basically the same player as Leon, he wouldn't be the BPA for the Jets. While I can understand why fans might like the pick, unless the Jets have plans to change to the 4-3 base next season, I can see no reason why Mac would draft him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

You're right that it would be draft hell if we couldn't trade down. While the others aren't worth the #3 pick, I'd rather reach for a player that is rated as a top 10 pick and fits the Jets' scheme than take a player that isn't a scheme fit, no matter how good he may be.

NYJetsO12 and mrjet80 like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

likely won't happen. rumor is murray is going 1st overall. If it does happen though that's great for the jets as we can still trade down which is really our best play regardless at the moment and get more for a team in love with a QB like murray or haskins. Raiders at 4 may take a QB and TB at 5 may trade down to a QB hungry team so it benefits us that the giants won't want to be jumped in front of

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

How many days to go until we pick?

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

20. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Any chance of trading up?