Classic Sci-Fi weekend!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Gotta give TCM their props. Lots of great classic Sci Fi yesterday. THEM, FORBIDDEN PLANET, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, TIME MACHINE, DESTINATION MOON. All presented in their original formats. Nothing like watching a classic movie on a 70" HDTV. Wifey even joined me for a few of them.. That means a lot considering she's not a Sci Fi buff at all..

I wish they would do a tribute to Ray Harryhausen one day. He was the master of stop action special effects. Watching those movies yesterday really made me appreciate what those guys went thru with what they had to work with to obtain those results. Those were the days before CGI for all you youngins..You had to do it the hard way and it had to be done right... :)

Noam, Brook!, Faux machine and 3 others like this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

So many people don't know the absolute genius of Ray Harryhausen @Cman60 . Fck CGI, it bores me to death. Everything Harryhausen did was magical, it is magical, and it always will be magical

September 12th, 1999, Vinny Testaverde:

EDIT: It auto-corrected to Larry Harryhausen. I just couldn't leave it like that. Hahaha, FML.

#2 jetophile, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Leicester Jet, nycarl and Cman68 like this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Wow Cman I just saw this thread between snow flakes at 2 a.m.,,,,,I honestly am not familiar with that guy but I have seen just about all those movies, had I known I would have recorded a few,,,,good stuff

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You had me at Them and Forbidden Planet. What a treat that lineup must have been.

If you have Amazon Prime you can frequently find old classics free in their video library. Ones that they do not advertise because they don't mean much to the primary consumers of 2019. I caught The Fearless Vampire Killers a few weeks ago and it's still great.

5. jetophile

6. Cman68

Before there was "Independence Day", there was "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers". Before there was "Clash of the Titans", there was "Clash of the Titans". Both Harryhausen masterpieces.

CBG likes this.
  7. Cman68

Br4d, they ran them all back to back. I was in heaven! Just kicked back, put the IR down and watched in awe. Those special EFX guys were all legends. I wonder if the CGI crowd can appreciate what had to be done frame by frame by frame for an entire sequence complete with editing..

Br4d and CBG like this.
  8. Cman68

that was from Jason and the Argonauts..?

9. jetophile

No. The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad.

#9 jetophile, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Cman68 likes this.
  10. Cman68

Of Course! I have that on BD!

11. jetophile

I should add a Harryhausen collection to my Vincent Price collection. : ) It's not as if most of the films were particularly good, you were just in it for the creatures. A friend of mine and his Dad made a short stop action claymation dinosaur fight film when my friend was a kid (the dinosaurs were simple, nothing fancy, more like on the level of Gumby).

For 2 minutes of film, it took hours and hours and hours and hours just to give you a rough idea of what was involved. Beaucoup love and respect for Harryhausen. I was really sad when he died. Thanks for the childhood wonder, Ray. Fun fact: Ray Harryhausen and Ray Bradbury were best buddies.

Also loved all of the Godzilla movies and the entire genre. The monsters were so laughably bad, but we loved it, anyway, and we always cracked up at the horrible dubbing, you know when the Japanese people stop talking but their mouths keep moving?

Who can forget War of the Gargantuas? Good monster versus bad monster, and the bad one used to eat people then spit their clothes out. And that stupid woman in the yellow dress singing in that Japanese nightclub, "The words get stuck in my throat. The words get stuck in my throat. The words . . ." I know I posted about this before about a year ago but who knows with thread it was at this point.

Hahahaha. I think this lady actually had an album or something, if you can believe that.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. jetophile

All of those movies were great, even the "crappy" ones. So many of them had to do with radiation, radioactive fallout, aliens, it was all during the Red Scare and the McCarthy era. The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the original War of the Worlds still stand up to this day.

Noam, Br4d and nycarl like this.
  13. jetophile

@Cman60: TCM is having a Godzilla Fest tonight. Godzilla (1954), Godzilla King of the Monsters! (1956), Godzilla Raids Again (1955), Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964), and Mothra (1961). Started at 8:00 p.m. EST.

14. Cman68

shit.. I missed it! :(

15. jetophile

Damn, @Cman60, you're missing it again! Tonight on TCM we have Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965), Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966), Son of Godzilla (1959), and Destroy All Monsters! (1968). It's all running until basically 4:30 in the morning.

CBG likes this.
  16. Cman68

Caught the last two Jeto... Funny as hell! Wifey and I were like the 3 guys in MST3000 we laughed so hard! :)

nycarl and CBG like this.
  17. jetophile

Japanese Cheese as I call it, hahahaha. "The Monster is attacking the city (mouth keeps moving for a good 5 seconds after the guy stops talking)!" It's definitely a major hoot and a half. We laughed when we were KIDS for crying out loud.

CBG and Cman68 like this.
  18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

It was hard to watch with sub titles,,,,,,but I watched some of Destroy All Monsters = how did Godzilla get from destroying New York City and moments later he was in the Pacific flame throwing a ship ? Regardless GREAT STUFF lol

19. jetophile

It is great stuff, haha. How about Son of Godzilla? Did they ever explain where Mrs. Godzilla is or did I miss that? Probably out grocery shopping with Mrs. King Kong. I mean, they never say what they eat, either. Atomic Rays or some shit that doesn't translate dubbing from Japanese to English? o_O

20. jetophile

#20 jetophile, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019