Would Sam Darnold Have Gone #1 Overall in the 2019 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by The Dark Knight, Feb 28, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure where to put this question, wasn't sure if it needed it's own thread, but I can't figure out where to ask. :D

Would Sam Darnold have gone #1 overall in the 2019 Draft if he went back to school? I feel like he would be head and shoulders above all the QB's this year, but I honestly have not kept up with them since they clearly won't be options for the Jets.

Also, where would Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson have ranked compared to this 2019 class?

I assume the Top 5 QB's of this year's class are Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock and Will Grier?

Thanks guys!

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I don't have much of an Opinion on Kyler Murray right now. I didn't watch much of him and have not had much reason to.

With him taken out, I think Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen are all ahead of the rest of these guys as prospects in their draft year by a lot. Jackson was and still is a boom or bust type project, but his talent would have put him near the top of this class. I think Allen would, for me, fit in along the likes of Jones and Lock, that is talent of a late first or early second that is going to be over drafted.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Scott mcloughan is in tecord as saying Murray is the top qb in the draft and would be the 5th best last year

Mr mittens and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

We're all just guessing but I would put Sam easily number 1 over all the QBs in this draft.

I still think he was the best QB last year notwithstanding how well Mayfield played but Baker was a close 2nd.

Baker would be the second QB in this draft IMHO and then it starts to get a little murky when you get to Rosen Allen Lamar compared to this class.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

Wow, that is interesting. I guess this question needs to be asked again closer to the draft too since so much changed last year from February to Draft Night. Never know which one of the 2019 class QB's will impress before then. Or the opposite and all of the Top 5 QB's clearly look worse than last year's.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Remember, Murray who is the top QB prospect in this class, is extremely polarizing, more so than even Baker was last year. The old schoool NFL camp says this kid is small, far too small. New school spread option people think small QBs are fine if they are an explosive athlete, throw accurately, and can process quickly. Some people love him and think he's in the realm of Baker and Darnold, some think he is bound to bust and/or get hurt and there is not much middle ground.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

People in this thread sleeping on Haskins, I think he's the better prospect but Murray has more potential.

The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

Yep, all it takes is two teams liking him and he could end up the #1 overall pick. That is what happened with Mayfield last year. I truly believe most teams had Sam #1 on their board or at least the #1 QB, but the Browns somehow preferred Baker. That is all it takes. I hope Murray does that this year, as it will help the Jets be able to trade down or have Bosa/Allen drop to them.

Yeah, I am interested to watch him and Murray's Pro Days. Don't know too much about either besides the Ohio State and Oklahoma games I watched while not focusing on either.

9. 101GangGreen101

It's possible 2 QBs go in the top 7. Jets are in prime position for a trade-back, Josh Allen and even Bosa.

Bosa, I would go insane. Mac would be the luckiest GM in Jets history. Williams dropped, Adams dropped, Darnold dropped, could it happen again?

FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

He was lucky Darnold even declared for the draft last year too. I was thinking about how things would have turned out if Sam did go back to USC in 2018 and he was in the draft this year instead for him, but everything would have been different for the Jets too. Maybe they have Rosen or Allen right now. Maybe they wouldn't have traded up to #3. We will never know. If Bosa does drop to #3, that would be crazy though.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. Bucky Brooks said on CMB that Haskins wouldve went 1st overall in last years grouping.

I dont always agree w Brooks & i dont here either.

CotcheryFan, Harpua, FJF and 2 others like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

horrible, but I would like to add his mock drafts are just as bad as CBS mock drafts

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yes Sam would go #1 overall this year.

That said, listening to various sources, very good chance Rosen is traded and AZ takes Kyler.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Bucky is currently trying to make the combine coverage enticing to watch. Haskins is not near the top prospect in this class but may end up the top QB. He is far inferior to last years crop.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sam D and Mayfield have it all over this Class..a few floors above the .Murry, Haskins, Lock. Will Grier group of this draft

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Rosen, see ya. People should never run their mouths about how great they are. I realize AZ is somewhat in shambles, but from what I've seen, he just isn't very good at the NFL level. Imagine if the Jets had taken him?! GAH. I'll give Rosen another two years to prove me wrong, but he looks like crappy back up material if you ask me. Did you ask me? No, but I'm saying it, anyway.

I know it's the off-season so I don't mind the thread at all and it's fun sometimes to speculate, but the Jets landed Shoe Booty and that's all I really care about. I just hope come training camp that Sam Darnold doesn't look fat to me.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Not that I care and a bit off-topic (?), but I wonder what the Giants are going to do about Shelijah? He's the highest paid player of all time (correct me if I'm wrong), and he just sucks at this point (although I do have to say the Giants squandered several very winnable games because of poor D). Do they hold onto him another year or do they trade him and go QB in the draft? Saquon Barkley's talent will be withering away there in either scenario more or less (Eli vs. having to develop a QB), but I think they need to go QB . . . which means I hope they don't because I hate them.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

All 4 QBs from last year would be the top QB this year. This is the worst QB class since the EJ Manuel/ Geno Smith class.

19. The Dark Knight

Yeah, see I am just not sure. I keep hearing different reports. Some say this class is great, but then I wonder if they are just hyping it up? Some say it is terrible. I guess I will watch the combine and Pro Days to see for myself. No one stood out to me at the college level like Sam did in the past few years.

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

From what I heard on ESPN radio, as prospects based on draft rankings, Darnold and Mayfield were in their own tier. Below that you have Rosen / Allen / Haskins / Murray / Jackson. The rest are below that level.

So it is similar to:

1. Darnold
    2. Mayfield

3. Rosen
    4. Allen
    5. Haskins
    6. Murray
    7. Jackson

8. the other guys

If Darnold was in this year's draft, teams would be bending over backwards to trade up for him.

#20 Sam Hammer, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    The Dark Knight and CotcheryFan like this.