Another Case for Quinnen Williams at #3

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Feb 24, 2019.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

About this time of the year I begin doing some deeper dives into prospective draft candidates, especially the 1st round selections. Quinnen has been tied to a potential Jets selection since draft order was established.

An interesting thing occurred while looking deeper into the research on Williams, normally you begin to uncover all of their flaws and things they will have to work on at the next level. This is just not the case with Williams, he seems to have a nearly perfect set of skills and fundamentals tied into the sized frame with the willingness and motor to get the job done.
    I won't make the Aaron Donald comparison because I think it's unfair to someone who has never taken a snap in the NFL to compare them to the best defensive player in the NFL.

What I will say is there's a strong case to be made to take him at #3.
    Chiefly among those reasons being the need to NOT miss on any high profile FA's or in this case 1st round selections so that the team can capitalize on the cap mobility of Sam still being on his rookie deal, and Williams might just be the most fool proof player available.
    Williams also will provide a significant boost to the other Williams, Leo. The combination of the two of them on the line only bolsters the other, while also allowing for a true evaluation of Leo in regards to a deal or if we let him walk we have his replacement already on the roster.

Coming off of Wilkerson, Richardson, and Leo all being taken in the 1st round with only moderate success overall from these players, I understand the hesitation and I feel it to. But, it is also much easier to miss on an edge player or them need more time to develop in the case of an Allen or Bosa with all of his injuries as well.

Ideally if the team could trade back with the Jaguars, Giants, or Raiders and still be in a position to draft Quinnen would be the most ideal and preferred option. I think a lot of this will come down to if we're able to obtain any form of edge rusher in FA, if we are then this makes even more sense.

almbleamal likes this.
  2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I don’t see a scenario where Q Williams falls past the top 5. It could happen as anything can on draft day, but I would much rather Jonah Williams in the 6-12 pick range than Q Williams at 3.

Pepsiguy5 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Agreed, let's say for arguments sake. Bosa and Allen go 1 and 2. Hopefully the Jets can pull a draft day trade, but if we were stuck, I think I would still pick Jonah Williams over Q in terms of BPA / Need formula.

Q is a great prospect, but just think we can do better in this draft.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  4. PennyandtheJets

That is a tricky spot if they are stuck.

I love Oline and the Mangold/Brick draft was still one of the best in NYJ history, but those players were excellent values at both spots (6 and 29 I believe).

I don't see McCagnan "reaching" for a need. I think if it falls that way and he can't trade out, he would likely take Q Williams. Who knows though lol. I am just hoping the Jags, Giants, and/or Redskins get in a bidding war for Haskins and the Jets pick is the hot spot.

5. 101GangGreen101

Being stuck is something you absolutely have to prepare for. I think to myself now, "how the hell could the Jets not make a trade to get more value"? He could take Ed Oliver after watching him in the draft.

6. PennyandtheJets

Oh they will definitely have a plan for that scenario. NFL front offices have plans for situations that never arise. They prepare/over prepare with the best of them.

7. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

if they get stuck they grab allen, bosa or Q. not the worst thing but probably a little bit of a bummer.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Ideally we trade down.

But if we are sitting at #3 with Bosa and Allen off the board, I would be okay taking Quinnen. We still need a pass rusher though so if we could get Lawrence as well that D-line would be sick!

Leonard, Quinnen, and Demarcus would be a top 5 line for sure. I love to think how the Pats would be worrying about how to protect Brady against that pass rush.

9. To me Oliver is the top 5 perhaps top 3 sleeping giant in this draft.If hes 285+ at combine & performs well which he surely willl hes just as good a prospect as Q w a larger body of work & far less help around him in college

101GangGreen101 and b.reyes16 like this.
  10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If Bosa and Allen are gone, and they arent able to find a suitable trade down, I'm fine with Q.Williams.

11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I've been surprised by just how much hype he's lost since the end of the college season. Oliver might be a bit of a tweener, but he's a dominant run defender with the tools to develop as a pass rusher. He won't be locking down anyone's edge, but I could see him thriving as a 3 tech or undersized 5 tech. To me, there's Bosa-Allen-Williams and a very slight drop off to Oliver--then a huge dropoff after that.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I really want no part of Jonah Williams in the top ten. I don't even think he's the best tackle in this class let alone a high first round value. If your going tackle go Jawaan Taylor.

13. 101GangGreen101

He's going to break the combine, and he can play anywhere on that line. He's so freaking explosive, a little undersized, but he's a monster

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

I'd take Jonah over Quinnen ... if I had to choose.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Absolutely not

16. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Less solid on JW. He might not be a tackle, but a guard. Can't draft an "OK" guard that high.

Bosa or Allen at #3. Williams ONLY if you are sure he is closer to Donald than L. Williams or Wilkerson.

Or DeWayne Robertson.

CotcheryFan and PennyandtheJets like this.
  17. PennyandtheJets

I am definitely drifting on JW as well. I don't think he will be strong enough at the point of attack.

18. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Him or Gary is doomsday scenario for me as a fan... 10 career sacks whopdeee dooo. 0 career forced fumbles is a little odd as well.

Neutralized in the biggest game of his life.

Comparing anyone to Aaron Donald is ridiculous, Aaron Donald is the definition of an anomaly at the DT position.

You can find DT in the later rounds, please don’t do this jets

19. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Where have we heard this story before? Oh yeah Leonard Williams!

But seriously, I know he is probably the most safe/solid pick at #3, but unless we move to a 4-3 then I don't know how much value bringing in another defensive linemen would bring. We seem to do every this ever other year and we can't seem to win more than 5 games in the past 8 years.

Give me Allen at that pick if hes available or trade down.

tomdeb, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

When you start hearing comparisons to Aaron Donald, you have to sit up and take notice. Whether or not those comparisons are valid, there is no way of knowing at this point. What we know, is that the Jets rushing defense was pretty porous last season, from a few years ago when it was the strength of the team. If the two top PR's are gone and the Jets have to choose someone at three, then picking a player who has the potential to immediately close that defensive gap is a sound choice.

LAJet likes this.