Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He is, but during the SB on the biggest play, he beat Marcus Cannon (a guard) for the strip sack while playing inside as a DT. Chris Long and Derek Barnett were on the outside DE spots. Jets should look to rotate 5 or 6 guys on that defensive line to keep everyone fresh. You can kick Graham inside on passing downs, or outside. Anyway to get the best pass rushers on the field.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Jenkins and Anderson both outperformed him this season. He played on 2 of the best Days in the league. 7 games with the Rams and only 2 sacks. Opposite Donald, Suh and Brockets. He wasn't facing tackles, he was 1 on 1 vs RBs, TEs or WRs while his teammates drew double teams. He should have put up #s with the Rams. He wasn't getting hits, pressures or tackles vs the run. He's had every opportunity to produce and has failed. Drafting for potential rarely works out, overpaying a FA for potential ? Just a bad idea

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk if Fowler would be a good signing or not, a lot of it will depend on the financials. But criticizing him for how he performed with the L.A. Rams is unfair. He was a midseason acquisition. He didn't have an offseason to learn the defense, time to gel with his teammates or anything. It was a luxury move for the Rams and a whirlwind for Fowler.

I mean the 1st two games they hardly played him while he got adjusted. So down the stretch he played he played pretty well, 2 sacks - final 6 games. 2 sacks in the 3 playoff games, not bad.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. We can agree to disagree.I thought he played just fine for the Rams.theres more to rushing the passer than stats.Fowler is legit at bending the edge & comparing him to Jenkins in that regard isnt even close.

5. I dont want Brandon Graham.He’ll be 31 before the season starts & for the deal he’ll command if he could still rush the passer the Eagles would be Re-signing him.

He isnt a long term fixture & we arent even sure he’ll be a legit pass rushing threat at this stage.

Id be furious if this was one of the big moves..which likely means it’s whats coming.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We need dogs Kurt. We need dogs. Free Agency acquisitions aren't your core players. The players that come from the draft are your young players, your core players. I think Graham is a guy with a non-stop motor, that this team needs. He shouldn't command much money, he only had 4 sacks last year. As your guy off the bench or a 3rd pass rusher I dont see why not. 2 year deal, why not?

PJ4Ever, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

He's a situational pass rusher who went to a very similar D with one assignment. He didn't have to learn stunts,coverages , etc.
    The first 2 weeks he played 62% and 72.1% of the defensive snaps in week 8 and week 9 that's not being barely used. 1 of his 2 sacks came, his second game with LA. The second 2 games later. 1.5 sacks in the playoffs, and the 1/2 sack came on a play where Donald and Suh had Brees wrapped up .
    He was in the Ideal situation to shine in LA and didn't. Same in Jax.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I have a feeling some team will overpay him because of his age and I hope it's not us.

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

They are talking about transition tagging him. I think he would get traded if that were case. I do not foresee us sending any picks for him. Additionally, it seems we are not even at the top of his list. It seems like a foregone conclusion that we will not land Bell. Rapoport is on the segment.

#369 Martin&theJETS, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

My bad. Its not really concrete. Just after listening to this, it seems like we won't land him. Rapoport is on the segment.

#370 Martin&theJETS, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think Tevin Coleman would be a much better signing than Lev Bell.

1) Tevin won't cost a QB price against the cap
    2) our coach historically runs RBBC. So Lev doesn't seem to fit that philosophy anyway.

I'd be pretty surprised if we signed Bell TBH.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

It's free agency. He's definitely going to be over paid.
    Don't think Lawrence or Clowney hit the Market. Ziggy Ansah will be the big name but I'd prefer Frank Clark, Preston Smith, ZaDarius Smith Trey Flowers, or Dee Ford , all much better players than Fowler IMO

FJF likes this.
  13. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

This doesn't say anything.

If the Steelers place the transition tag on Bell, it just gives them the right to match any deal. Considering they didn't pay him last year when they were the only bidder, they certainly wont now.

What the video alludes to would help the Steelers, not Bell It would require Bell to sign a 1 year transition tag for $10M and wait for the Steelers to then trade him. He'd likely get less money in this scenario as he'd be traded to the team that offered the most to Pittsburgh and not the one that offered the most money. He didn't sign a $14.5M deal last year, and he is not signing a $10M deal.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Agreed. I'd rather give big money to a proven player who still has good years left than to one who has been underwhelming for 2 teams.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

The Steelers tried to pay Bell last year but he turned down the deal. 5 years avg 17.5 mill per year 33 mil guaranteed the first 2 years. Then they tagged him.
    If the Steelers do Franchise tag him, he really has to sign it. Sitting out another season would mean his opportunity to get paid is gone. The transition tag would likely be 14.5 million. It will be a fight over the amount but Bell will win that.
    Once he signs he can negotiate with other teams, the Steelers can match but teams can easily structure a deal Pitt can't match, and if the do match a mega deal and trade him, he still gets the mega deal.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think Humphries WR Tampa would be a great signing for us... dynamic potential in the slot with great YAC skills.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Closed minded way of thinking.

We have two recent HOF players Martin & Mawae both arrived as free agents. The Giants found key players on their 2007 team Burress, Mckenzie, Pierce in free agency.

The Jets have always sucked at drafting which is one reason why they haven't won a title in so long. Free agency works for the Jets.

When was the last time the Jets had a HOF player that they drafted?

18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

John Riggins? (nearly 50 years ago) And of course we let him walk after 4 years.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Shortly, they’ll have Revis and hopefully Mangold.

I do agree with the premise that you can and usually do build winners through FA though. The Pats are the outlier. Most other teams have had major players that arrived via free agency. Maybe the Packers were the last team that didn’t.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If you want yac, we have one of the best in recent years and 2 more are available that are better than humphries

101GangGreen101 likes this.