Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

What leads you to believe that not getting hit for a year could lead to injury? You think he's going to be out of shape or something?

I don't mean this to be a smart ass, but have you watched Bell play much? When I watch him play and run the ball, to me he looks like a guy who is going to have a long career, regardless of usage. He runs upright in the open field but when he hits the hole he gets low and he takes hits around his shoulders, which saves his legs. He also has great anticipatory vision, the find the open space and be less likely to not be prepared for a big hit. Watch him. Curtis Martin was like that. Frank Gore is like that. Those guys were effective runners for a long time for a reason.

----

Who knows how much Bell wants in free agency to make him worthy of a signing, but I really disagree with the idea that he's gonna break down soon. I think someone is going to get a fresh, hungry, talented running back that can play ALL 3 downs.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Susceptible to injury because he hasn't played. Not in playing shape. People who know better than me say that can lead to injury. I suppose this wouldn't really be an issue since he would have an entire offseason, but I would still be nervous for even those workouts.

You don't come off as a smart ass lol. Yes, I watch a ton of football and I have seen the way he plays. The strengths of his that you highlighted I completely agree with. This doesn't change my mindset/view of him. The touches are adding up and that isn't a good thing. Curtis Martin was a warrior. Frank Gore is an anomaly. There are very few Rb's that last as long as they did. Just my take.

#282 PennyandtheJets, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

But now he has averaged 256 touches a season, which isn’t really too bad, 16 touches a game. Elite talent, not much wear , by all accounts a hard worker and should have something to prove after Connor had the season he had.
    This is really an easy signing. We need elite talent , he is elite talent. We need to liste to teddy kgb:
    [​IMG]

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Of course FA is at risk!

Alot of people here visualize Bell and Sam Darnold nuking the Pats and stepping right into a Super Bowl lol

Of course, no one considers the OL that has to move people out of the way for Bell or protecting Darnold or even getting the vet edge rusher to keep you in the game

If someone can come up with a plan to pay Bell get a Lawrence edge rusher and a Golden Tate WR ill listen..but TonyFtL already broke the bad financial news we/you cant have it all

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  5. PennyandtheJets

Lol I enjoy your enthusiasm. An Elite RB for sure, but I think there are better options in free agency and the draft. Marlon Mack looked great this past year. I wonder why.....

6. PennyandtheJets

I get that people want to help the offense and I do too, but that defensive class in free agency is very talented. I say use free agency for depth on offense (Tate, Tyrell Williams, Tevin Coleman, OL), but get the top talent on defense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What makes you think we’re going to pluck the next Marlon Mack from out of nowhere though?

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What may be available in the draft is irrelevant. You don’t wait for the draft to address a need. We can sign Bell and still come out of the draft with a good younger rb.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Lotsa good pass rushers could be available in free agency. The Cowboys guy, Ansah etc.

Sign two of 'em and Leveon Bell.

10. WarriorRB28

I don't get all the hate for the Jets OL.

I remember Crowell setting the franchise single game rushing record this past season, he averaged 4.8 ypc behind the Jets o-line. Crowell can run behind the Jets o-line but not Bell?

Crowell's blocking was abominable. Other stuff he did too like the penalty in the Cleveland game.

Bell is a faaaaaaaaar better player he'd be a enormous upgrade at RB for the Jets.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I think in most categories the Jets OL ranked near the bottom of the league. Sure they had a few good games, but consistency is more important than putting it together and having an awesome game once in a while.

M00ndawg and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. WarriorRB28

The Jets wr corps was decimated by injuries and they lost Powell. That changed how teams defended them and made the OLs job much harder.

Some spots can be improved. Overall I don't think they're nearly as bad as many people say.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Of course ..Bell is a tremendous talent and upgrade ..no one is arguing that

But paying one guy 19 million?

Then if you want anybody else in FA whos a mega star there will be nothing left in the Piggy Bank..I mean that slacker Trumain Johnson cost us 70 plus million investment smh

You sign Bell you will forfeit other needs..and there are alot on this team..Maybe Gase and Mike m want to do that ..who knows ?

Thats why commentators have been praising Tom Brady up and down ad naseum this week because he takes a pay cut so management can buy good players around him

M00ndawg likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Blatantly false.

NYJFOREVER and Mr mittens like this.
  15. WarriorRB28

The money is irrelevant if the signings pay off. Totally worth it.

The probem is like you pointed out they break the bank and the player turns out to be a dog.

Almost 10 years without a playoff appearance, almost 20 years of NE dominating this division, MacCagnan doesn't get eternity to get this thing going in the right direction, Adams & Darnold still playing on rookie deals NOW is the time for the Jets to make their move.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO, We have seen enough of Mac to know that he will use free agency to plug what " they deem" as immiddiate holes and the draft to pick best available to leverage future growth, often not in the position of most need if the value is not there. So IMO if we don't move down with a willing partner at a good value his first pick will be a Defensive player.
    As for free agency, he will make one splash on a big name, and look for value in the rest of the areas. I can't see RB being his first priority, but it all depends on who is available and willing to sign with us. I can see the priorities along the lines of C,pass rusher, OL depth, and may be slot corner. Then RB and may be WR if the value is there. He repeteadly stated he wants to enter the draft with all options opened.
    Our best option if we get lucky is a trade down.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. PennyandtheJets

That’s what you would do. Got it.

18. PennyandtheJets

I don’t think that. I think we need to pluck some Olineman in free agency and in draft. A lot of RBs can work behind a good oline.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

Why can’t we do this and also sign Bell?

20. PennyandtheJets

You could. I just wouldn’t.