Jets Fans...Take a Deep Breath

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 12, 2019.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I get it. I'm a Jets fan too. But my god, does a large portion of our fanbase need meds. We've gotten into a habit of absolutely going bonkers over signings, moves etc, before they do anything. Take a breath. Let's see what happens with Gase. The guy is a really solid offensive mind, McCarthy is stale, let's stop pretending he is the second coming of Christ. He was fired mid season for goodness sake, and he doesn't have a job, for a good reason.

In fact I'd argue the most Jets thing to do would have been to hire McCarthy. A man who only managed to win 1 Lombardi in 13 seasons with the best QB in the league. A man who's offense is as stale as week old white bread. A man notorious for making zero adjustments. A man who took 10 weeks to see Aaron Jones was the best RB on his team. He was apparently the last person to know. A man who got into play calling competitions with Arod in games.

THAT friends, would have been the popular hire somehow. And also the wrong one. I commend the Jets for making the right decision. The decision to win and not to appease all of you in the news cycle.

Now, it's apparent that most Jets fans are for some reason losing their absolute marbles over Gase. I think the reaction is absurd. How about we don't run the guy halfway out of town before his press conference? Maybe let's see how this shapes up? He's had some good success in his career. We now have arguably the best DC in the NFL. Our staff is looking sharp. Gase not 3 years ago was the most sought after offensive mind in the NFL. He made the absolute most of that shitshow in Miami and it should tell you something that the majority of Fins fans are furious he was fired and even more so furious we hired him.

He's young, he adjusts his schemes to his players (he re-worked an entire playbook mid season for Tebow), etc. I mean here we are WHINING that Bowles never adjusts a thing, and now we have a guy who not only is offensive minded but has made his career on ADJUSTMENTS, and we are freaking losing our minds? Sometimes I think we deep down prefer to complain and proclaim suffering than find success....

There is no reason to believe he cannot succeed here. But I'll tell you this. If the fan base boo's him before he boards a plane to NY, then I can assure you he will fail. Give the man a chance.

We have a new contingent of coaches, we have REAL coaches, not Todd Bowles and his pals. We have $100M in cap space. We have a top 3 pick. Things are looking up whether you like it or not. And you can stop complaining we've been bad the last 2 years. We have been rebuilding to get here. You know it. So with that comes bad seasons. We are past the worst part of it.

And just remember, not too long ago Howie Roseman was getting run out of town in Philly, and Doug Pederman was considered the worst head coach hire in the history of ever....1 Lombardi later....

Just take a breath. We ARE on the right track.

2. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

There is plenty of reason to doubt this administration. MM has proven not to be able to procure elite talent nor draft efficiently. He seems to prioritize BPA instead of need ( i.e. leaving us with 2 safeties at the top of a draft instead of beefing up the line, consistently whiffing on wr prospects etc.) There is no forward thinking within this organization. They acted like we were not going to be bringing in a new qb ( Cousins or a rookie) the year before and didn't even bother to prep the team to aide in their development or success. There are multiple other examples of the ineptitude but these are some of the "low lights" that are on full display.

The $100 million in cap space is also a myth. We barely have a team signed and most of what we have is back up quality at best. A majority of that $100 million is going to be needed just to resign scrubs in order to fill the roster and not on making huge splash signings. Years of horrible middle round drafting has left the team with such a lack of developing talent is shocking. There isn't a single elite player on offense ( Sam may develop into one by the grace of god) and there isn't a single elite player on defense. ( People will point to Adams but he is not a game changer and plays a position that has very little impact on the game today)

The criticism on Gase is completely warranted. We keep harreling this guy as an offensive genius but where was that ingenuity in Miami when he was the head honcho? The offense we trotted out this year looks almost identical to the offense Miami trotted out last year. Also be prepared for the awesome wr bubble screens that have blocking by an even smaller wr who has no chance at deffering the defender. Get ready for more runs up the middle on 2nd and long, get ready for never moving the pocket when you witness your qb get sacked 10 times in a game. I just don't see it, maybe I am wrong but the guy is as cookie cutter of an "offensive genius" as I have seen in a long time.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're right, I need to take deep breaths. Preferably in a brown paper bag so I don't hyperventilate. Where can I find one of those? Oh yeah of course...

Peebag likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

YOU’RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH:mad::mad::mad:

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Now that I’ve taken my meds I’m actually warming up to this quite nicely.

Type A personality, a young innovative offensive mind?

From all accounts will be a great choice to develop Sam which is the Prime Objective?

Yeah I’m giving this a shot.

Burnz and NYJFOREVER like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I have no choice but to give it a shot so I will. But you have to understand the skepticism that more than half of the fam base has over this hire.

We keep being told that Gase is an innovative offensive mind… yet when you go look at what his offenses have done without Peyton Manning under center, it’s completely on inspiring. What exactly has been innovative about what he’s done? Ask Miami how innovative he was. It’s already been pointed out, but running straight up the middle with an aging running back on second and long seems like a lot more of what we already have. Throwing a wide receiver screen to a tiny receiver and hoping he can out run everybody else isnt exactly revolutionary either. Do you know who else had a good year as an offensive coordinator with Jay Cutler has his quarterback? Jeremy bates…

He doesn’t have personnel power here so this doesn’t matter as much, but bringing in Julius Thomas? Running with Frank Gore over Kenyan Drake? Forcing your most talented offensive weapon out of town? Prioritizing defense in the draft when your teams offense is below average at absolute best? That sounds familiar…

These don’t sound like ideas conducive to progression and innovation.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

An observation about Mac. He goes for guys who were once highly thought of but whose stock has recently fallen. This is the third time he's done it, Hack and Darnold were the first two. Both QBs, like Gase, were at their best in their first year. Hopefully Gase is more Darnold than Hack.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think the initial shock off hiring a Miami retread has worn off.

The concerns that people have seem valid.

How will he handle the media?
    Can he truly develope a QB?
    Will be bring in limp coaches like Dowell Loggains?
    Can he coexist with a guy like Williams?

We won’t know for a while. Nothing but speculation until the CS is filled out and FA is underway.

9. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Looking over some Dolphins’ games from last season, and as mentioned above, I am having a very hard time seeing any signs of offensive innovation. Saw a ton of 3 & 10 draw plays though...where have I seen those before?

;)

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

when they first announced Gase as our HC I was stunned..more like in tears. I have accepted the fact now & after going on the Finheaven site to see the reaction of Dolphins fans, I feel a lot better. A lot of them are wining about their HC prospects, & about the Gase move and are saying how the Jets with Gase & Williams, who they really wanted, are praising the Jets for the coaches they brought in. Of course Williams isn't a done deal yet, but they seem to think so. A lot of posters say they should have stuck with Gase. These posts were one reason I am warming up to the Gase hiring, now GO OUT & SIGN WILLIAMS.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

To add onto my last post, I would love to hear any sort of explanation as to why he’s considered an innovative offensive mind. Like actual answers, not “well so-and-so said they love the hire”. Maybe he’s good with quarterbacks, but unfortunately we didn’t hire him to be the quarterbacks coach.

12. I think the word innovative is being thrown around too loosely.Hes not an X’s and O’s fiend or a genius play caller.

But he is an offensive mind,type A personality who is cleary very smart,detailed & driven. Hes not gonna fall behind the times & he wont tolerate self inflictions.

Now what you want to believe or not believe about what folks in the know have said about him is totally arbitrary

13. BroadwayAaron

Isn’t it kind of a bad thing that the guy you just hired to be your head coach and offensive play caller can be described this way?

boozer32 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

hi. i'm george and i'm a jetaholic.

is this the right room for the meeting?

AJW, Peebag and Red Menace like this.
  15. If im only lookig at things one way..sure i guess. And by one way i mean from a nihilistic perspective.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You do realize the Jets we’re ready to move on to a second round of interviews until they received a call from Manning.

How the hell can I be happy about our new HC when it was based on a phone call from a stiff neck, stupid commercial making player who never needed a HC to elevate him to HOF playing status?

Another thing, don’t you think that this is not a yes man hiring, he went along with what the organization wanted him to do and that’s why he was hired.

What has Mac and Chris done to make us think that they are capable of making this team a perennial winner?

I have no choice, I’m going to watch the off-season and watch a couple of games next year, but this team cannot start 1-4 and expect jets fans to be patient.

Based on Mac and Chris assessment of this team, they should have won more games last year, so I believe they think the team is talented enough that they can turn this around next year.

boozer32 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I agree with Turkjetfan. Take a breath and relax. As for Gase, he’s had a ton of injuries in miami, Tannehill is reputed to be, in the words a dolphin fan, dumb as a bag of rocks and he made the playoffs in one of 3 years and almost made it again this year with a team devastated by injuries. Gase’s system puts a lot on the quarterback and you need a smart QB to make it work, but with a smart QB (like a manning) the sky appears the limit. Is Darnold that smart? We don’t know yet, but initial signs are positive. If Darnold is that smart, then the sky’s the limit for his development with Gase.

Will Gase be a good HC? I don’t think anyone can honestly say. What I can say is that I think he was the best choice to develop Darnold. If he makes Darnold into a franchise QB and a top 5 QB in the league, then he was a good choice for this team right now. Give the man a chance.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sorry. If he wanted a "chance" he should've sat out a year or two and reflected on what mistakes he made and how to fix them. He's the one who wanted to jump right back into the frying pan. Not saying he needs to win a SB this year, but he'd better look like a guy who can soon win one.

And after 55+ years of disappointment, I've well earned my right to be skeptical.

19. BroadwayAaron

He has nothing to do with the defense, so we know that he was hired to run the offense. You just said he’s not an X’s A
    and O’s fiend or a genius playcaller.

So if his main purpose is to make the offense better and call the plays, what exactly is the value to bringing this guy in? Because he’s a disciplinarian who loves football? I mean there are tons of guys out there that can do that.

20. Look where trying to be even slightly diplomatic in my approach gets me. If youre just gonna spout the same narrative dont bother replying.This is not a 2 way discussion.

Hes well rounded.Hes a GOOD play caller, hes a GOOD game planer..hes thorough in his preparation. He wont be out worked, he wont be outflanked. If you listen to others which you clearly dont unless they are on twitter & mirror your sentiments..hes exceptional w QBs & playing to their strengths.

All coaches have strengths & weaknesses.Gase is pretty well rounded w a ton of upside. But youll choose to ignore im sure.