Optimistic Look at Adam Gase

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 9, 2019.

1. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

That means nothing. Both were that way from Day 1 before they even proved anything. People accepted it and made it as if it was some great thing because they were successful. Hard ass coaches are a dime a dozen. Some are given glory for how tough they are only after they win.

FJF likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Miami is as dysfunctional as we are, only...maybe...worse.

We’re in a playoff appearance drought but they haven’t tasted a postseason victory since Y2K. That’s right there with the Browns and Bills for playoff futility.

Maybe their dysfunction was a poor fit for Gases where as our dysfunction will be a perfect fit.

Or maybe they could just stop being dysfunctional all together.

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So the owner called up the coach in the middle of the season to tell him that he should’ve drafted offensive line back in April? Is that the story now? And somehow he didn’t expect to be called a dumbass

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

TIL that Miami was a team laden with talent, held back only by the ineptitude of their head coach. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

LeonNYJ likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now it comes down to the quality of the CS Gase assembles. Perhaps Gase chooses his own, or its a collaborative effort with SuperGM Macc. Not happy with the HC hire so it would be good if he hires a great staff. If those hires go sideways....

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Let's try one more time, .I'll type slowly for you.....
    Near the end of this season, During a meeting, no phone calls involved, not last season not the beginning of the season, not after he was fired,,,,, you still following along? Ross sugested that they should look to shore up the o line, ( I wasn't there, haven't spoken to Ross, just an assumption but maybemaybe maybe giving up 52 sacks could have in some way effected the QB play)......
    That would be done in the upcoming draft. Not the 2018, or 2117 draft. This upcoming draft. Still following? Didn't think so but it's always nice to try to help someone who is struggling to keep up.......

barfolomew likes this.
  7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

People seem to think that the Dolphins were a playoff caliber team. Granted if they won their last three instead of blowing games to Minnesota, Jacksonville, and Buffalo, they could have finished 10-6. Even still they would have missed the playoffs due to a loss to the Colts.

8. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

It wasn’t my best joke, admittedly, but yea it was just a joke. Honestly, I never followed Gase to begin with, I hate the Dolphins (but what Jets fan doesn’t, right?). Basically, I was just noticing how people were describing him in this and another thread and it struck me that it all sounded like how bellicheck was described after his Browns and Ravens tenure (and even a little today). He was always viewed as a great coordinator, but with a lot of negative things that made it unclear if he was really cut out to be a great coach. I suppose he has convinced most people that he’d make a decent HC by now.... :p

Admittedly most of my posts nowadays are just meant to be tongue in cheek. I’m just so tired of the awful decisions by the Jets, the absurdly high costs of professional sports, and what the NFL is turning into. I’ve lost a lot of interest, though I wish I still had the same passion for the game that I did in the ‘80s, ‘90s, and even ‘00s. Still, i come here to read and joke/commiserate with the other peeps who are also ready to walk off a football cliff. However, if we’re having a real discussion, then I do hope that my bad attempt at humor turns into prophecy. If Gase is even 1/2 as successful as BB most of us would be thrilled. Then again if being an asshole was all it took to make someone successful then Mangini would’ve led us to a Super Bowl and I’d be a billionaire by now.....

9. Aewhistory

But then we wouldn’t be the Jets any longer....

10. Aewhistory

I understand the emotions, but let’s not tear each other apart. The same passion for our team that makes you want to see a winner is what makes Rollo angry when he sees them do things (time and time and time and time again) that turns the team into a losing franchise. So even though you’re expressing it different ways, you, him, and the rest of us are all pulling for the same thing to happen and getting to the same final destination. We just don’t all agree on the route to get there.

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Fransessar today (with his "inside" info):

-Gase hit all of the boxes that the Jets brass wanted to hear from him in terms of preparation, confidence, personality (Type A), staff, style, how he'd interact with specific players on the team, type of player he'd like to draft/trade for and most importantly how he'd develop Sam

-Rhule was never offered the job but will 100% be a head coach in the NFL soon

-The Peyton Manning call was way overstated and did not tip the scale

-The Darnold input was way overstated and didn't tip the scale

-McCarthy and Monken were both very highly thought of but just didn't hit all the boxes that Gase did (and in the case of Mccarrthy were a little put off by what they heard coming out of GB

End of the day, Rhule, McCarthy and Monken were all very good and viable candidates but that Gase checked more of the boxes than the others

That's coming from Fatty so take it for what it's worth.

Harpua and Mr mittens like this.
  12. Rollo Tomassi

He misunderstood what I was saying.

I am fully on the bandwagon with Gase because I can't stand finding myself going into a hapless hopeless season or being completely out of contention before Halloween and just rooting for a tank for the rest of the season.

I went into 2017 hoping to lose every game because I wanted Sam. If folks think that's a joke or I'm a bad fan, I don't care--I wanted Sam and was willing to burn an entire season to get him.

I went into last year not liking Bowles but hoping upon hope that he was going to make a 180 degree turn and make us a perennial contender. I was super pumped. When it became clear a few games in that he was the same old lovable loser? I started rooting for us to fail. Because it was in the best interests of the future of the team. To insure he was gone and to move into a brighter better future.

I don't root for my team to fail until it makes sense for us TO fail.

Hell, I predicted we were going to go 11-5 or 10-6 this year.

What kind of idiot does that?

An idiot that loves his team.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This is a hell of story. I AM struggling to keep up.

So the owner meets with the head coach in the middle of the season, towards the end I guess but still in the middle of the regular season.

He tells the coach they need offensive line and the head coach already knows he’s going to draft defense in the upcoming draft. Despite not knowing where they are gonna pick, his scouting is done and he tells the owner it’s going to be defense.

Wow

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Does an idiot by any other name still support the Jets? Yes, yes we do :D

15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'll admit I saw the hoping this team fails part and that triggered me. I'm so sick of people rooting for this team to lose to get rid of players we don't like or coaches we don't like that it just sets me off when I see people do it (granted Bowles was horrendous and had to go). I'm just as optimistic as you are, shit I thought Hackenberg would turn out to be something up until the end of 2017 season even though he showed nothing to warrant that belief. The rooting for this team to lose for the "greater good" mindset needs to stop already, it's time to start rooting for wins and success no matter who is on the team or who is running it. I've been thinking about it for the last 24 hours and I really think Gase is a solid choice for us going forward, even though he's a POS personality wise.

16. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

When I saw this, it brought to mind what Parcells said about giving coaches a chance. Bill wasn't much older than Gase is now when he became the coach of the Giants. His first couple of seasons went terrible. And we all know the rest. But he said that in today's NFL, he would never have had the chance to turn things around.

Okay, so Gase is an asshole. Anybody remember who it was Parcells referred to as "she" in a press conference? Dick move. Chrebet was recovering from a broken foot. He told Parcells he was ready to go. Parcells kicked Chrebet in the broken foot just to see his reaction to know if he was really ready to play. Now that's an asshole, and I'm pretty sure he actually liked Chrebet.

I'm not saying he is the second coming of anybody. But this was a thread for optimism, and I'm always trying to look at the bright side. Besides, if any team needs discipline, damn...

WarriorRB28 likes this.
  17. Rollo Tomassi

I have been pining for the Jets to be great for decades.

It is a very rare time I root for them to fail. The year of the Geno draft I was not rooting for a tank because the QB class was shit.

I've been rooting for tanks (this is a FAN thing, not that the players coaches FO would ever tank) during great QB class years.

I wanted to forfeit every fucking game in 2017 so we could secure Sam--they fact that we won stupid useless games and STILL got him still amazes me.

I was truly hoping for a complete turnaround last year because I thought maybe Bowles could tun it around and make us contenders. But I was fooling myself because h'e not an HC--he's a nice man and a good DC but he had no business being our HC,

I can not allow your opinion on Hack :D I saw him play live a bunch of time and all through college--I literally lost my shit when we picked him-was out with a big party when we did that and well...it didn't end well.

Just so we're clear--I am fully on board with Gase. I don't need my players (who I don't know personally) to love my coach. Even though in an idealistic world I would like that. I lived through Pete Carrol playing hoops with players out behind the practice facility.

I need them to be loyal and play hard. Parcells and Belli say hi.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  18. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery, who played for the Bears when Adam Gase was the OC in 2015, predicted big things for the Jets and Sam Darnold. Jeffery told NJ Advance Media, "His impact will be huge. I think Darnold will excel. Knowing the Adam Gase that I know, and the potential the Jets are looking for, I'm pretty sure Sam is going to be a Super Bowl MVP. He can win a Super Bowl. Darnold will be an MVP in this league working with Gase."

chandler and rohirrim665 like this.
  19. Green4ever

Green4ever New Member

Jets81 likes this.
  20. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Really? How about hopefully it works out and we go to the playoffs next year? I like that better. Have some fortitude and get over it. McCarthy is old and stuck in his ways, this could possibly be the best hire possible.