Mets 2006-07 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by davecrazy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

From ESPN "Latest Buzz"

The Mets are interested in an A's starter, but it's not Rich Harden. Outfielder Lastings Milledge is the bait.

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

With Perez or Maine that is too much, this guy is horribly injury prone, nearly as bad as Wood or Prior

3. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

No way in hell.

Ollie has proven over a full ML season (2004) he can put up dominate numbers. Maine had a nice 1/2 season.

4. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Perez has also proven he can have an ERA of 6+ and walk 6 guys a game...

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

NY papers are saying it is Haren, not Harden that the Mets are interested in. Also that they are prepared to do whatever it takes to land Zito.

6. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

And he is younger then Maine. And a lefty. Maine is a nice Bobby Jones type 4th starter. Ollie has Ace stuff. Lets see what Peterson can do with him.

7. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

you mean he had ace stuff, 2 years ago, beofre he lost 6-10 mph on his fastball, he never had anything but average breaking stuff, and it he isn't consistantly in the mid-90's he gets rocked since he doesn't have great movement. i think he had an injury along the way, as his delivery was always vicious on his arm, with the pirates that was always the thing, everyone assumed he would get hurt. I think the broken foot hurt him too.

8. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

This is too confusing. 1st they said it Rich Harden, then the media said that theres a mix up. They said the the Mets are interested in Dan Haren not Rich Harden. Then a heard in the Radio that the Mets are talking to the A's about Rich Harden today .... ... WTFFFF???

9. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

How can you be a Mets fan. Glavine and Maine pretty much carried the team through all of Pedro's off-time.

10. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Maine pretty much carried the Mets when Pedro, Duque, Glav, was out ... he is more consistent than Perez. I mean i like what perez did on Game 7 but he pretty much is very inconsistent. I rather keep maine

11. Attackett

This coming from the Jets fan that wants to bench Penny after a great individual performance & a complete team shellacking..

12. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

No doubt that Maine was excellent for us last season, but to say he's got more natural ability than Perez is kind of absurd.

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

you do realize that the thread was a joke, right? We were all talking about it in our AIM chat and he decided to post it just to get TGG active and create discussions and maybe some arguments. Chill out.

14. Attackett

How would I realize the thread is a joke if you guys were talking about it in an AIM chat? and if the point of posting a "joke" on the MB to create discussion or maybe some arguments, wouldn't my post have fit the criteria of creating discussion or argument??

15. FITM

The Mets and free-agent Guillermo Mota have agreed to a two-year, $5 million deal.

16. FITM

All I'm saying is, right now, Maine has more starting potential than Perez.

17. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Doesnt he have a 50 game ban coming to him when the season begins?

18. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Hojo comes back to be the 1st base coach and Gary Carter leaves their class A team:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - On the day '86 Met Howard Johnson officially became the Mets' first-base coach, the agent for another member of Flushing's last World Series champion confirmed his client had left the organization.
    Gary Carter, who skippered high-A St. Lucie to the Florida State League title last season, had been offered the managerial position at Double-A Binghamton. Carter, not wanting to partake in the Eastern League's long bus rides, informed Mets officials he preferred to remain with St. Lucie. Told that position was going to Frank Cacciatore, Carter bolted. He already has contacted the Rockies about their Triple-A hitting coach position.

HoJo will be responsible for outfield and base-running instruction with the Mets.

Willie Randolph indicated he also considered Ken Oberkfell and Bobby Meacham for the job. Oberkfell is expected to manage Triple-A New Orleans, while Meacham became the Padres' first-base coach. Sandy Alomar Sr. will shift from first to coaching third.

"I went from the infield to the outfield, so basically I had to learn how to play it," HoJo said. "I played all three (outfield positions) at Shea Stadium. They're all unique."

19. FirstTimeCaller

FirstTimeCaller Active Member

Perez has more upside then Maine, he can dominate when on. What Maine did for us last year was great but to say he carried the team is silly. The pen and our bats carried the team. Maine is solid not spectacular, def more consistent then Perez... but if both lived up to potential the ceiling is higher for Perez.

20. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Yup. I don't mind, it'll be like a mid-season pickup and he'll have a fresh arm once he gets into playing shape.