Adam Gase New HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Do you approve Gase signing?

1. Yes

22.3%
  2. No

45.8%
  3. Too early to tell

31.9%
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Gase's record the last 3 years is almost identical to McCarthy's. The difference is McCarthy's one winning year 3 years ago was with Rodgers at QB. Gase had Tannahill and was in a division with NE. Experienced Head Coach who is still young enough to improve. McCarthy was on a down hill track out of the league.

tubby, KurtTheJetsFan, Noam and 3 others like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is being kicked around by people that they offered Ruhle but wanted to pick his staff. Where is that coming from? That seems awfully like a bullshit story. A story that a guy from Baylor might use to bolster the perception of him... just sayin

Falco21 likes this.
  3. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

....and that plays in to who may/may not want to go play for him. Falco was right though...I should have said it that way, not as a fact. My bad.

4. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

What a wet fart to end this "season" with. I live in south Florida, my father in law is a dolphins fan, a majority of my friends are dolphins fans. I learned of this hire from my buddy texting me stating " why do the jets love phins trash so much?" That pretty much sums up the mood of our division rival, complete and total mockery. I haven't met a single dolphins fan that believes Gase is anything more than a throw away coach you hope to forget about soon and are thankful that 3-5 years of your football life is over with.

I am not sure how posters on here can say that the dolphins skill players are inferior to the league average. I would take their skill players any day over what we have, especially if they still had ajayi and landry ( ajayi being a competent back with that game breaking ability and landry being a possession monster) but were shooed away by this Gase administration. If the results in Miami is what we are looking for here in NY, be prepared for a myriad of 7-8, 8-8, 9-7 seasons forever keeping us in that crap middle nfl status and never winning anything important / never being good enough to win. I am not sure about you but the NFL isn't good enough anymore for me to watch 17 weeks of bs, especially if the jets are their typical trash / mediocre team they have been since 2011.

ColoradoContrails, CBG and Jets69 like this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Yorkshire sadly you can't fire the clueless owners.

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

And for everyone saying we should give Gase the boot after the 2019 season if we don't improve/make the playoffs, you are asking for trouble.

You cannot fire him after one season IMO. The job would become v unattractive. Think Cardinals.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the dolphins have fans? and they actually know who the coach was?

FJF likes this.
  8. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

To me, Adam Gase is Eric Mangini 2.0 only on the offensive side of things. I can see him knowing his side of the ball well and despite some shitty playcalls, I like him as a playcaller for Darnold. Two things that instantly scare me about Gase would be his inability to inspire players which fair or unfair is necessary on the pro level even if it's a professional aspect to it for grown men to behave and "Get Up" without a coach but his unyielding trust in his coordinators.

I saw Gase go 5-1 vs the Jets with the likes of Ryan Tannehill, Brock Osweiler, Jay Cutler and Matt Moore around over time. He got robbed the 2017 year but two factors....loss of Tannehill(Who sucks BTW, I have banged that drum but he was the teams best option) and the Hurricane disaster that destroyed both Tampa Bay and Miami that year and forced them to run the gauntlet of 16 straight games without a BYE due to it being forced over on Week 1 fresh out the gates for the young season. So his under .500 record IMO is skewed which is why I refuse to use that against him in that matter.

What I hold against him is if he's bringing back Vance Joseph who tried his best to sabotage a good Broncos defense in any way he can. He's another 4-3 guy who will try and fit a circle piece in a square peg per say and I don't think he is good enough like Eberflus of IND was to suddenly make the transition on the run and make it work. Would be a disaster of a hire but unless Cincy can save the day and baffingly hire him or Hue Jackson as HC, he seems likely employed by the Jets. How Vance Joseph still got that coaching job is beyond me but I truly feel fresh off the Miami playoff appearance that Elway wanted to go out of his way to fuck with Gase who has animosity due to the postponed SF interview a couple years back and wanted to take his DC and show the world it doesn't matter who coaches, he's John Elway and he knows how to make a championship team. Was Joseph forced to run a 4-3 defense in Denver via Elway? I have no idea but I think it is best if he conforms to what we have already built as a 3-4 defense.

And this Kenny Loggins character at OC, screams Kacy Rogers 2.0. Seems to be buddies with Gase which is why he will just stand there collecting a six figure pay check and be a yes man again for Gase. I have absolutely no idea what he does to be honest. But what I can see out of this hire is the Jets trying to get Sam Darnold someone who will defend a QB to no end and ultimately have their back. I know he caught flack for how much he protected Tannehill and I am not sure Darnold needs that level of pamper, Darnold seems more stable mentally as a QB vs Tannehill who got agitated over practice squad players intercepting him and feeling the need to fire back at them reminding them of his pay vs theirs.

Some of the horror stories that came out indicating how lackluster he is as a motivational guy scare me admittedly but lets be fair in that regard: He got saddled with selfish me first players like N. Suh who practically gave up the 2017 season, Jarvis "Pass ME! ME! The Ball! Me! Me! So I can get paid!" Landry and Brent "Yall want me to cover Michael Thomas AND Julio Jones and paying me like the 3rd best CB on the team? Fuck outta here." Grimes and his bimbo wife from the Real Housewives of Atlanta or wherever. These are guys that can destroy locker rooms and are ticking time bombs at any given moment. He got saddled again by Mike Tannebaum's inconsistent drafting and ONCE AGAIN having no fucking clue how the salary cap works being forced to sell off players for the sake of doing so(This guy mind you was Bill Parcells cap guy and a reason he got the Jets GM job). Not to say Mike McCagnan is any better because he isn't but still this isn't a recipe for success.

Gase is seemingly buddy buddy with Peyton Manning which is arguably how he got this Jets gig after Manning vouched for Gase over with owner Chris Johnson and also had worked with the likes of the aforementioned and also with Jay Cutler in two detours. I saw him incorporate a speed attack with Albert Wilson, Kenyan Drake, and Jakeem Grant before some of the guys got hurt that worked well enough to steal wins this year in Miami so I am wondering how he does with this team's (thus far) lackluster options on offense.

Am I doing backflips on this hire? Maybe not. But I can see the reason behind it. And if this fails so will McCagnan in going out the door which is what may very well be best for the team moving forward. I'm just indifferent about it altogether. I wish Gase would realize that what haunted him in Miami won't work either with the Jets and I wish he'd cut ties with these inept coaches he relies upon in all honesty but it seems alas to be. Kenny Loggins and Vance Joseph are not equipped to be head coordinators on a team in the pros but he truly thinks he knows what is best.

What scares me though is how much pull Mike McCcagnan has to actually tell a head coaching candidate like Matt Rhule who is coaching staff should be. In what world has this GM not only kept his job but also can tell coaches how to make a staff? I kid you not, what has he shown to have such pull to even do this? It is alarming that the owner seems smitten with this guy as GM when he's done such a piss poor job altogether in his 4 years as the Jets GM.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That article is one author but considering I live in Miami, it is widely known that the stories about players hating him is largely exaggerated by a few bad apples. Gase became a scapegoat with the ever worsening upper management in the franchise. You are just repeating shit you are reading that fits your argument.

And again, you have no factual evidence to support your claim that Gase was the Jets third option. The same people that were claiming Rhule declined an offer, are the same people who were saying he was at one Jets drive last night when he was in Waco. Again, repeating things that fit your argument, rather than looking at the bigger picture. And frankly, until Mac or Johnson says he was their third option, none of us will know that to be true. Just because you read it somewhere from "anonymous sources" does not mean it is fact.

I said at the beginning, I am not sold on this hire, but I am also not going to walk around claiming things that are not rooted in fact

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Does this mean the Offense is going to be playing with a footloose mentaility?

FJF likes this.
  11. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I remember when they hired Kotite. Philly fans smacked their foreheads in disbelief and busted a gut laughing just like Miami fans are right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boozer32 and stinkyB like this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He wasn't on my radar for sure. This is baffling and the Jets have no one to blame if this goes sideways. No Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly consult. They interview a ton of coaches and this is the guy they chose? Having Darnold as a centerpiece could not be the defining issue. There are other layers of the team that needs constant addressing. Now the next headache is the staff hirings.

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Wasn't just Philly fans. I couldn't believe it. Kottite was coming off a season where he lost 7 straight games.

Wahoo and barfolomew like this.
  14. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

changing the Red Zone to the Danger Zone

stinkyB likes this.
  15. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Active Member

Lol i really chose to be a Knicks, Jets and Mets fan.

I'm a fucking loser.

boozer32, NY Jets68 and stinkyB like this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If we hired McCarthy and went 4 and 12 who would you blame? Do you blame Wolf and Casserly for the Jets sucking?

17. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I'm off the team.

Jeti likes this.
  18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The biggest fear in hiring McCarthy imho was his lack of a balanced offense. Everything was WR WR WR. They never focused on run / pass balance, didn't really use the TE like they had in the past before he became head coach.

I was thinking maybe just maybe Mike Mac and Chris saw that and wanted younger blood that can develop a QB and not be so narrow-minded / one-dimensional. Then they go and hire Gase. He checks the "he can help develop a QB" box but what else makes him the savior of this franchise? This guy ran Ajayi and Jarvis Landry out of town, their 2 best players on offense. As someone else mentioned he also never used Drake properly, Parker and Stills regressed badly last year, he never used the TE, he drafted a TE in the 4th round last year and he had 6 catches all season, he signed Amendola and Gore (one avg the other at the end of the road) and used them as centerpieces of the offense. I can't call this guy one dimensional like McCarthy but I don't see anything remotely suggesting this guy should have gotten another HC gig so quickly after being fired. If they wanted to bring him in as QB coach, great let him focus on what he supposedly does well and leave the shit ass attitude at the door.

We don't have a choice but to hope this guy succeeds but on the other hand if he's going to be avg or bad please be Kotite type bad and dump his ass after 1 season.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

FWIW, I'm reading Miami got the same call and pitch from Peyton back in 2016 about Gase.

His word means NOTHING IMO. CJ & Macc got duped.

HomeoftheJets and barfolomew like this.
  20. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Maybe time for you, I'm done. 28 years down the drain. When I thought we were hiring McCarthy I was hopeful for the first time since Rex's second AFC Championship game. I was happy to be a Jets fan. Now I am not happy and not a Jets fan.