Jets completed Mike McCarthy interview on 1/5-Saturday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Would you be happy with McCarthy signing?

1. Yes

64.0%
  2. No

16.0%
  3. Undecided

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I fail to see how the Cleveland situation is better than Indianapolis. McDaniels is an ass and doesn't particularly deserve another chance.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The suspense is killing me..when is Coach Ms interview already??

Must be secret meeting in the Bronx at some little Italian restaurant

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Arthur Avenue...

Vahncase and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

the only other thing i'll state is why do we think McCarthy is going to be a better coach without Aaron F'in Rogers as his QB?

legler82 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He developed him. He revived Brett Favre late in his career before he left for the Jets. He may look at Darnold and see a lot of skill-sets that he can develop. Watch Rodgers as a rookie:

Jets don't have to make this hard, McCarthy not only the safest hire, but the most obvious. Grab Todd Monken to call the plays. Bring Pettine back on the defensive side of the ball. Keep Boyer.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you didn’t catch the post I made earlier about how unbelievably bland, unimaginative and uninnovative McCarthy is offense was in Green Bay, someone else wrote about it:

The more in depth I go on McCarthy, the more I’m scared off.

hwismer and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

true but an established coach like mccarthy will want to name his own coordinators and the majority of his staff.
    its bad enough he will be inserted with a GM he presumably never worked with.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

McCarthy's "unbelievably bland, unimaginative and uninnovative offense" finished top 10 in points scored 7 of the last 10 years...

maybe some blogger has it right though. Stats and WINS aren't everything

9. 101GangGreen101

The more I read this, the more I see fingers being pointed at the personnel for not getting better play-makers. But apparently coaches are incapable of change. A new start with a QB that is humble could help. I think a good OC could help as well, bring in Monken someone with a little bit of a different mindset.

BudJet, NYJFOREVER, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

You didn’t read the first post did you? The one where someone broke down the offense with video and came to the conclusion that McCarthy has about 15 route combos total and relied totally on Rodgers to make a play.

hwismer likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

Again I go back to the first breakdown where you can see it has nothing to do with personnel whatsoever. It’s bad play design and basic play design, also not having a variety of places to choose from. But does that change with better personnel? Maybe, but it’s not like they were working with complete dog shit over there.

12. BrowningNagle

so what? it worked didn't it?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

They have Davante Adams and a bunch of rookie receivers. Aaron Jones is decent. Jimmy Graham sucks. It's funny when they had Jordy Nelson last year, they never had this type of talk. Nelson got open and so does Adams. When they had Jennings, they never had this type of talk. To me, McCarthy is depending on the receivers to win their match-up and they are not doing so. Scheming receivers to get open can only help for so long. Todd Monken as the OC could help McCarthy. Does anyone really think Monken will be a HC?

14. BrowningNagle

McCarthy could be like Andy Reid was. A QB guru and experienced HC who got stale from staying in one city for too long and went somewhere else and thrived with the change

NYJetsO12, FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  15. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

It worked (past tense). I don't know if that kind of scheme is going to be competitive in the NFL anymore.

16. You dont finish top 10 7 out of 10 years Aaron Rodgers or not w bad play design.

When you have a talent like Rodgers & actual receivers like GB has had you dont over complicate things..you want players reacting not thinking. And the results speak for themselves...what reason did Mcccarthy have to add further layers? Keeping things simple is always in the best interest of the players permitted the opposition doesnt catch on.

17. 101GangGreen101

I think Darnold could bring back the creative side of McCarthy. Add in a Monken as OC who likes to try new things and I think you got a decent pairing.

Rodgers sounds like a real douchebag, as great as he is. I am sure that relationship caused McCarthy to get stale along with Dom Capers as the DC. Packers are a team I have always followed, I am a fan of McCarthy, he isn't perfect but he will develop Darnold and this O. He also doesn't lose the locker room.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

Do Monken and McCarthy have a relationship that you know about? I'm just curious as to why you make that suggestive pairing. I'm not against it but I just figured McCarthy would be HC/OC as he has in the past

19. 101GangGreen101

Just me being a homer for Monken that's all. They still need an OC, and Monken's expertise is game-planning.

FJF and BrowningNagle like this.
  20. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

Who was his offensive coordinator? Didn’t he have some input? How many different routes do the “smart coaches” have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.