Jets completed Mike McCarthy interview on 1/5-Saturday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Would you be happy with McCarthy signing?

1. Yes

64.0%
  2. No

16.0%
  3. Undecided

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Yet he has a better playoff winning percentage than the great Mike McCarthy and has 6 pro-bowl appearances. Good article on McNabb HOF credentials.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...ovan-mcnabb-compare-hall-of-fame-quarterbacks

When comparing the numbers, McNabb is clearly in similar company to Jim Kelly. The former Buffalo Bills passer has a similar passer rating and career touchdowns numbers to McNabb. However, McNabb has more Pro Bowls, less interceptions, more passing yardage and better rushing numbers. That said, Kelly was significantly more successful in the postseason. While McNabb went to five NFC Championships and won just one of them, Kelly won all four of the AFC Championships that he played in. Although, both McNabb and Kelly never won a Super Bowl.

While Kelly is probably the best comparison, McNabb stacks up from the middle to the bottom against the other seven quarterbacks in this study, for the most part. When comparing McNabb against the entire group, he shakes out as seventh in career-passing touchdowns, fifth in passing-percentage, sixth in passing yards, seventh in years played, tied for seventh with six Pro Bowls and is the only quarterback without an All-Pro selection. He is also one of five to not have won a Super Bowl during their career.

The case for McNabb may come from his lack of numbers in some categories. While he has not won a Super Bowl, you can make the argument that the criteria is not based on winning the "big one." Of the eight quarterbacks in the study, just 50-percent have won the Super Bowl. Also, while McNabb has only won one conference championship, that is still one more than Warren Moon and Dan Fouts. The 13 seasons that McNabb played are among the bottom of the rankings, which means his numbers are not inflated due to several years of over-staying his welcome in the league. He also has the second-least amount of interceptions of the group, which shows that he rarely impacted his team with turnovers.

Whether you believe McNabb, should go into the Hall of Fame or not, it is pretty clear that he will not be a first-ballot selection. His numbers when compared to Hall of Fame talent make him discussion-worthy, but perhaps not good enough for actual induction. McNabb seems like he could be on the cusp, but with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning retiring in the next few years and Kurt Warner eligible soon, he may have a serious up-hill battle.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

According to this article, McNabb's stats are a lot better than I thought they were, but I saw him play quite a few times. I don't recall ever thinking, "Wow this guy is great and belongs in the HOF or is just below that level." I always just thought of him as a pretty good QB during the regular season, but one who would choke or couldn't win the big game.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't think he was HOF worthy either but I don't think Warren Moon is either. The HOF has a lot of guys who were very good not great. McNabb was very good in my opinion. If he had a ring I think he would be a lock. Eli might go into the HOF.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Eli is a lock to go in IMO. He has the 2 rings and has stayed in the league long enough to compile the counting stats.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Rings plus longevity. So a Nazgul then?

NYJFOREVER and NoodleArm like this.
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly Hall of very good not great.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Yup, it's what the baseball HOF has become.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Hall of Fame. Fame doesn’t have to equal talent.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IDK how long you've been rooting for the Jets, but I've been doing it for 55+ years, and I'm sick and tired of waiting for the next SB so I'm not willing to simply accept "close but no cigar" like the Shottenheimers and Lewiss, BUT...I'm also not willing to go another couple of years with absolutely nothing to look forward to except the last game and draft position. The odds of that happening with a never-been-HC are high. No thanks. Give me an experienced HC and let's at least get to the playoffs and contend, meanwhile you can hire your "next great HC hot shot" as the QBC or OC and groom him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

McNabb is 100% HOF worthy but not quite close enough for the jacket. If you don't think so, you should go back and watch him. He was a great NFL QB both running and throwing. If Eli is a lock, McNabb should at least get a mention. If not for the rings (two HUGE feathers in his cap that you can't take away), Eli wasn't near the QB of McNabb.

He's notRogers but Reid had a superstar QB in Philly.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

OTOH Lombardi ran Sweep Right; Sweep Left to how many championships and SBs? It's not about complexity or innovation, it's about execution, something which recent Jets coaches have sucked at. Look at Mariano Rivera - the batters KNEW he was going to throw his cutter, but they still couldn't hit it because he had outstanding control. It's the same principle with every other sport: do a few things perfectly, rather than many things half-assed.

CotcheryFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Only since '88, my friend. I can understand your impatience. I think it's the old soldier in me that wants everything done the right way so that is built on a solid foundation and it's repeatable--I fear I have little patience for fire-and-forget.

I really shouldn't be a Jets' fan at all, but in some things one has no choice.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

I agree, I want it done the "right way" too - I think all of us do - we just differ on what's "the right way". As I've said, given the Jets situation: 8 years wo a playoff appearance, 50 years wo a SB appearance, 5 straight HCs that were first-timers, I think it's smarter to go with a proven winning HC this time. I'm all for hiring a QBC or OC like Kingsbury to groom him and be a successor to the experienced guy, but to gamble once again - and ESPECIALLY look at who's throwing the dice, guyus who are complete novices at HC searches! - It screams out "Take the proven path!".

NYJetsO12 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Bill Parcells was the last time the Jets hired a Super Bowl winning Head Coach, right? That turned out pretty good. After that: Al Groh, Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles. Not so good. I think at this particular moment, hiring a Super Bowl winner who worked with Brett Favre and groomed Aaron Rodgers, seems like a good decision for Darnold's future. I talked myself into it.

Also similar to Bill Parcells, the Jets are planning to change the culture, including their uniforms. So there are a lot of similarities. Hopefully winning is another one.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

McCarthy's Browns interview is next week now.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Has his Jets interview been scheduled yet?

17. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Possibly.

Personally, I'd be really surprised if a guy like McCarthy isn't interested in coaching Darnold. Great combination of youth, no nonsense personality, and physical potential.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think we're fine there. Now if we drafted Rosen...

slimjasi likes this.
  19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

McCarthy will grow on me IF he brings in a Gregg Williams (if he doesn't get the Cleveland job) or a DC of that caliber to run his defense here.

If that happens I'll get excited about him coming here.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I do agree. I also think a guy like McCarthy, if he's seeking more power, might be intrigued by the idea of the GM being on the hot seat. Superbowl winning head coach answering directly to the owner, an unproven GM with an uncertain future. Great place to eventually take the reigns of the whole operation... but shhhhh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.