Jets completed Mike McCarthy interview on 1/5-Saturday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Would you be happy with McCarthy signing?

1. Yes

64.0%
  2. No

16.0%
  3. Undecided

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

Apples and Oranges, BudJet. Did Andy Reid EVER have a QB the level of Aaron Rodgers? Nope. Please don't even think about suggesting McNabb was in Rodgers realm. With that having been said, What Andy Reid accomplished year after year in Philly, is more impressive than what McCarthy accomplished on a consistent basis in Green Bay.

If you honestly think that McCarthy was ever Andy Reid's coaching equal, than you are mistaken. Go ahead and cite the fact that McCarthy lucked into a Super Bowl, lol, and I will remind you that mediocre to slightly above average coaches like Brian Billick and Gary Kubiak have also won one Super Bowl, lol.

The BOTTOM Line is that the Jets could do better than Mike McCarthy.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Donovan McNabb isn't Aaron Rodgers but he is a borderline HOF QB who if he won his one SB appearance would be a mortal lock for the HOF along with Reid. Reid has had 8 playoff teams and a record of 9 and 8. Not great but I get your point.

What was impressive about Reid is his Philadelphia teams made the playoffs and dominated a division with Parcells and Coughlin in it. The Packers have had a free ride to the playoffs almost every year Rodgers has been their QB. The division has been terrible.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Pretty ballsy of the Browns to push McCarthy back a week knowing he's also interested in the Jets job. Maybe they aren't that high on him after all.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Well that's a plot twist. Funny thing is I wouldn't want McCarthy if I were a Browns fan. I think there are better options out there and while I don't know who they are I'd trust Dorsey to find them. But as a Jets fan with Mac as GM, I think McCarthy is our best bet.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I remember hearing some commentators ask why Jones hadn't played earlier. McCarthy may have been wrong/mistaken, but there may have been a good reason why Jones didn't play earlier. Maybe he was injured or maybe he was in McCarthy's dog house for dogging it in practice or being late to meetings. Unless we have all the facts, we can't really judge McCarthy on that. That's all I'm saying. When he interviews with the Jets, he should be questioned about Jones. If his answer isn't satisfactory or if he gets pissed that they asked him about that, then he isn't the right man for the Jets.

I'm not gonna dignify your second paragraph, because you know that's now what I said or meant. You're just being a smart ass.

6. BroadwayAaron

Yesterday I was saying that McCarthy would be an idiot to NOT visit both teams but if Cleveland has him pushed until next week, I wouldn't be shocked if he's our coach before he even steps foot in their building. Then again, what rush is he in?

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The only reason Starks was in was because of how many injuries they had.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Looks like browns are shopping at the dollar general

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The question in my mind is simply this. If the Browns select a new HC, and the sooner the better for the incumbent, does Williams stay or take a shot somewhere else. Why shouldn't he be entitled to interview now for open HC positions while available.

10. GreenFist

GreenFist Member

w/ having stabilized almost immediately under Williams/Kitchens why not allow that existing leadership to play out, even if on a short leash ..if I was a fan I'd be pretty pissed if any current candidate outside of maybe McCarthy or Arians was hired

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the M.O. of a gambler: "I just KNOW this time it's going to pay off!". That's why gamblers go broke.

And hey, I'm not risk-averse, nor against taking a prudent chance, but as you pointed out, we've tried "gambling" FIVE times in a row and LOST! It's time to go the prudent route and accrue some success first. Look for that "new superstar" and hire him as your QBC or OC and groom him to take over. Going "all in" on an unproven coach is insanity.

BudJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

McCarthy didn't "luck into a SB." That's absurd. He got there and won in spite of a lot of players being injured (15 on IR). That takes good coaching.

#232 NCJetsfan, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  13. NCJetsfan

WOW! I totally disagree with the first paragraph in this post. McNabb a borderline HOF QB. SMH McNabb is perhaps the most overrated QB in the history of the NFL.

14. BroadwayAaron

I can't think of McCarthy without thinking of this article I read back when he was still coaching the Packers:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/22988392

Now I think Cian Fahey's opinions are dog shit, BUT, he does watch a lot of film and this kind of thing is just factual, not his opinion. Read that whole article. It highlights how awful of a play-designer and playcaller McCarthy is.

hwismer likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Wait, wut? They're interviewing a guy who was only the OC for part of the season?

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

IF McCarthy is one of the top guys on the Jets list I would be flying him in for a talk or going to see him personally right NOW !

17. FJF

Browns have Williams under contract. There’s no benefit to allow him to talk to anyone until they settle on a coach.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. FJF

We could watching the Browns brown this thing all up
    Would anyone be surprised if they make the wrong move here?

CBG likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

In the past = no one would be surprised but under Dorsey and what they have been doing lately-----> I would really be surprised

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

WOW Thanks for posting this. Great read! If he is correct, and he seems to be, I no longer want McCarthy, unless McCarthy has realized all that Fahey said, and is totally revising his offense.

The following article gives McCarthy some kudos for helping young QBs: https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/brett-...thy-would-be-perfect-match-for-jets/302309646

I don't really trust or respect Brett Favre's opinion, but if he's right, maybe McCarthy is good in that one aspect, figured out what Rodgers could do well early, and then got lazy or just stuck with it, rather than continuing to evolve as Rodgers evolved and grew. Since Sam has some similarities to Rodgers in that they're both mobile, can extend plays, are accurate, I would fear that McCarthy would just stick with the same offense and not evolve or change. The lack of routes that work together and the limited number of routes in McCarthy's playbook are concerning. In a sense it's kind of like Vince Lombardi's offense in that there were limited plays and the team was expected to execute to perfection. With today's limited practices, that isn't likely to happen even if one does have players at every position who can win their one-on-one battles consistently, and we all know that the Jets don't have players like that.

#240 NCJetsfan, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.