The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I agree FJF. Just for this time I think it is smart not making HC report into Macc who is on possible hot seat.

Freddy Mondo and TonyFtLaud like this.
  2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Complaining about ownership is pointless. You can't change the owner like you can change the HC. It is what it is.

I remember reading articles about Tom Benson being one of the cheapest owners in the NFL. He lucked out with Brees in free agency & Payton people stopped saying bad things about him.

Cleveland went 0-16 last season, one of thge worst run organizations in all of sports all of a sudden they're a hot destination? Same owner.

The Johnsons have to act quickly to get their man. They got the QB last offseason now get the head coach!!!!

NYJalltheway and Mark Lattimer like this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

WE NEED A COACH NNNNNOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!

What the FUCK is taking so long?!?

4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    The new hire won't be tied at the hip to a potential lame duck GM. Could also lead to full control for the right candidate

Freddy Mondo, LAJet and FJF like this.
  5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to throw this out there. Not sure if the candidates are good or not but coaches are interested in us.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  6. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

So you're putting a lame duck GM in charge of a #3 pick and 100 million dollars? The Johnsons obviously don't view him like we all do.

7. WarriorRB28

The Jets better be one of those teams.

Adam Schefter
    Twitter › AdamSchefter

Within three hours of being fired in Miami, Adam Gase already had heard from the majority of teams with an HC opening, per source. Gase is expected to start his HC interviews this week.

8. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Just a few random thoughts on the coaching search:

1. I can't believe that it will be anyone other than Woody making the final decision on the new HC, He appointed his brother to handle day-to-day matters, and this is far beyond a day-to-day matter.. The only difference between now and when Bowles and Rex were hired may be that Chris, not Woody, is sitting in on the candidate interviews. Woody is in England, not on Mars.

2. What will be interesting is to see who accepts and who declines interviews with the Jets. That will give us a good idea of how Woody and Maccagnan are regarding by the league insiders. If the hot-commodity OCs decline to interview, that will tell us a lot.

3. If Maccagnan is smart, he will interview up-and-coming OCs even if he has not intention of hiring them. They would be a great intel source. For example, he can pump them on their offensive schemes, on how they regard the Jets' current personnel, and on what they would do to develop Darnold.

4. I'm getting concerned with this belief that the Jets must hire a HC to work hands-on in developing Darnold. Wouldn't that put is in the same bad position as in the past: a HC who cares only about one side of the ball? Yes, I want a HC who knows offense and understands cutting-edge NFL offenses, but I also want a HC who will pay attention to offense, defense and special teams. I also want a guy who will instill some discipline and will consistently hold players accountable for being late or committing mindless penalties. I want a HC who can recognize and attract really good coordinators and assistants. No more guys like Kacy Rodgers or Jeremy Bates.

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Gigantic no thank you to Gase.

Rude of Campbell to reject us. That wasn’t very nice.

PJ4Ever, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I realize it doesn't matter how much we complain about ownership. The Johnson Bros. may be too fucking stupid to run a successful football franchise, but they're not stupid enough to sell their cash cow.

That being said, putting any faith at all into this franchise is just a waste. You are the kind of Fan the franchise needs to stay afloat. I'm not that kind of fan anymore. Frankly, the Jets are no better off than the Knicks are. They both have super stupid ownership.

The Browns got a GM. A successful GM. That's why they leapfrogged us as a preferable destination. Dorsey is running that franchise now and that ownership decided to get out of the way and let a professional do his job. Our owners aren't smart enough to do that especially since the income to their bank accounts doesn't change no matter how shitty the product is on the field.

The Browns WERE 16-0 last year, but they kicked our ass in 30mins flat on national TV. we won 4 games, the browns won 7. You have to ask why Cleveland is a hotter coaching job than the Jets? Only a homer would...

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Going out on a limb here: The next Jets head coach will be named Harbaugh. That is not to say that December 31, 2020 we won't all be here bitching about it.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Exactly! get ready for a newbie, OJT and another 4 year rebuild.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Didn't sound like a complete rejection; sounds like his top choice is one that has already contacted him.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm starting to feel your pain. If they mess up this HC decision, I might join the darksiders here.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

What’s wrong with Gase?

16. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

He sucked in Miami, and has never had any success without Peyton Manning

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He sucked ass coaching the Dolphins

Big Cat likes this.
  18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

What’s right with Gase other than a couple good years with Peyton Manning?

The Dolphins veterans went to ownership and begged for him to be fired. Ajayi and Landry both made parting shots at him on their way out of town.

19. WarriorRB28

Sashi Brown set up that organization for success by making some brilliant trades to stockpile a boatload of draft picks. Garrett is a STUD too he wasn't drafted by Dorsey.

They have Garrett we have Adams. They have Mayfield we have Darnold.

I don't see this enormous gulf between the two teams.

The Johnsons have to beat them out for the head coach. If Cleveland ends up with a Harbaugh or a Gase to work with Mayfield and we end up with a option Z candidate no one else wanted then yeah there will be a big difference.

20. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Well, we are doomed if this report from Cimini is accurate.

Quick takeaways from CEO Christopher Johnson on the head-coaching search: The final decision will be his. He and GM Mike Maccagnan will run the search. They will keep the same power structure, with the GM and head coach reporting to Johnson. They're not interested in a candidate that demands total control. He prefers an offensive minded coach, but isn't married to that. He will consider college coaches. Head-coaching experience would be a plus.

Looks like they'll be choosing among the second- and third-tier candidates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.