The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The #1 TGG Troll, pretty sure he was ounce Jethrotull

FJF likes this.
  2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Just saw this. Not sure who it is but I could see this being the Jets. Trying to think of the other teams that have vacancies that would make a big push.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...t-one-team-is-plotting-a-run-at-jim-harbaugh/
    1. Jets: Makes sense. Have the franchise qb. Making a big splash at coach seems to be the choice.
    2. Dolphins: In the past they have. I think Gase survives.
    3. Cards: Maybe but Harbaugh doesn't seem like a fit there.
    4. Packers: Packers don't make the splash but I think it's a different front office and I think they would make a move like this. That being said I wonder if Rodgers and him would get along. Love to be a fly on the wall for that one.
    5. Jacksonville: 50/50 on Marrone being fired. I could see this. Khan potentially moving them to London. A good team that needs something. Why not Harbaugh.
    6. Browns: Hmm. Maybe. Mayfield. Young up and coming team. I really can see it.
    7. Bucs: I can see them doing it. They flirted with Gruden last year. Don't think he'd want it though.
    8. Bengals. No. Too rich. They'll go for Hue Jackson. Thank god we are not Bengal fans they might be the worse run team in all of sports.
    9. Broncos: I could see this too. Do Elway and Harbaugh have a connection?

The rumors and everything will be fun the next few weeks. Our luck we'll get Defilipo.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Rivera seems that way (solid), but I'm not so certain. The Panthers continually underachieve, especially their D (and that's Rivera's background). They've had a lot of injuries to key players, but every team has to deal with injuries.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Priorities (lets get them straight )

IMO:

a) We must only choose from an experienced list of HCs and who are not dinosaurs like Shanahan. Say no to rookie NFL HCs

b) Prefer an Offensive guy but a winning defensive coach like John H, Ron R is also good

c) Must use $ as final leverage and not be cheap about it...we are already offering a potentially great one in Sam as well as guys like Adams, Anderson, Enunwa, the other Anderson. Roberts the whole young team concept etc

d) Can this GM and get a VP of Football who can run rings around the J brothers with football know how...get a new GM that reports to him not owners

e) Make sure all 3 are on the same page building on the Offense in an Offensive league

#424 NYJetsO12, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Here's the thing with Harbaugh I don't think the QB in place will affect his decision all that much. He'll coach up the QBs there or find one or two who can run his offense.

Also after what happened in San Francisco with the GM he'll look to go to a place that gives him total control or close to it.

It could be the Jets IF they're thinking of firing MacCagnan/offering Harbaugh total control.

6. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that someone mentioned Kitchens in this thread. If not, mods @Brook! feel free to move this post to the correct thread.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...to-be-a-head-coach-in-cleveland-or-elsewhere/

Freddie Kitchens wants to be a head coach, in Cleveland or elsewhere

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 21, 2018, 5:28 AM EST

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield has looked like a completely different player since coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley were fired, and interim offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens has received a lot of the credit for that. In fact, it has been reported that no matter who gets the head-coaching job on a permanent basis next year, Kitchens will remain the offensive coordinator.

But if Kitchens is so important to the future of the franchise, why shouldn’t he get the head-coaching job? Asked on Thursday if he wants to be a head coach, Kitchens said he does.

“Definitely,’’ he said. “No doubt.”

Kitchens, who has never been a head coach and had never been a coordinator until taking over for the fired Haley, bristled at suggestions that he’s not experienced enough.

“I heard the other day somebody say something about I wasn’t ready to be a head coach,’’ Kitchens said. “I mean, who the hell’s ready to be a head coach?’’

Kitchens said he isn’t lobbying for the head-coaching job, but given the way he has turned Mayfield around, and given the importance of Mayfield’s continued development to the future of the franchise, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and G.M. John Dorsey absolutely need to consider hiring Kitchens as head coach. If the Browns don’t, some other team might.

7. NCJetsfan

Kitchens' attitude is precisely why he isn't ready. He doesn't even fully know how be a coordinator yet. It's fine to aspire to being a HC, but his ego is wanting to write a check that I seriously doubt is his ass could pay. He needs to be patient, be a successful coordinator for 2-3 years. If he does that, he'll get his shot at being a HC somewhere.

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This fucking blows

Was the top potential candidate by a landslide

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That sucks, but on the bright side it eliminates the worst possible scenario. Where Harbaugh takes the Packers job and McCarthy takes the Ravens job. Now that the Ravens job is accounted for, if we make McCarthy Mac's boss or let McCarthy pick a new GM, we're the most attractive destination for McCarthy.

10. Cody Hummel

Cody Hummel Active Member

That sucks. Harbaugh was my number one choice.

Now just wait until the jets release a statement saying they are keeping bowles and working on an extension.

Big Cat and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

Also worth noting the Ravens finish the season with the Chargers and Browns. Would be hilarious if they lose both games and miss the playoffs. Would they go back on their word?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The Ravens are working on an extension for Harbaugh so he can be removed from the list

13. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

McCarthy now becomes number one priority.

15. NCJetsfan

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

BacktoQueens and Cody Hummel like this.
  16. FJF

he can be replaced with shanahan

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

[​IMG]

Kris 15 likes this.
  18. FJF

we have to keep it current and its a possibility

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Nothing current about Mike Shanahan.

Kris 15 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. FJF

this is the common sentiment but I am having a hard time believing he has been isolated in a basement for 5 years. at the least he has been in contact with his son.
    I'm liking him over a first time coordinator right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.