The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s ownership that’s the problem.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He's gonna get the permanent job in Cleveland. They aren't stupid enough to break up what they have going right now

and it looks like the Harbaughs are both strongly off the market

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Could be right on Williams. Cleveland is his best chance to land a HC job.
    Remember teams shied away from even hiring him as DC after that whole bounty thing in New Orleans.

What happened regarding John Harbaugh being off the market?
    I was hearing team may go in new direction with the new GM.

4. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I'm not going to argue that Harbaugh isn't a good coach. I just don't think he's a good coach for where the Jets are at right now. Fit matters.

I think the focus is 100% on Darnolds development, and I want an offensive mind at HC to lead him to his full potential. I don't want turnover at the OC position every few years, with a HC who isn't offensive minded. We've been down that road for the last 15 years and I'm sick of it.

But we can agree to disagree. Theres no wrong answer here, everyone will have their preference.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Interesting

Not sure where I land on this one.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Pass.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

Definitely interesting.
    Would he retain Bates, who comes from the Shanahan tree?

if he wants to coach for another 5 years (and not pull a Parcells), it would be worth a look.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can understand your perspective. I definitely want a QB Coach and/or OC, and if possible, a HC who will make developing Darnold their #1 priority, and don't want to see a turnover in OC every few years. The problem is that the only experienced HC with an offensive background is McCarthy? Would you want him as HC? He has his question marks, as supposedly his system is dated and he refuses to update it. His game management has also been called into question fairly frequently.

As much as Darnold needs to be developed, imo a culture needs to be built/developed, and the young Jets team needs discipline. They most likely won't get that from a first-time HC who is an offensive whiz. He will be focusing on Darnold and the offense and learning on the job. I believe that the rest of the team could continue to play in a sloppy fashion, and no culture or identity established.

I believe that there is more talent on the team it seems, but because of our lousy CS sucking at developing players and our HC's stubborn insistence on his system, players haven't been put into positions in which they can succeed. That is the thing that I think Harbaugh will bring to the table. He will establish a winning culture and give the team an identity. He won't put up with the sloppy play and stupid penalties. He'll insure that players are put into a position from which they can succeed. He'd have the team playing tough, smart, hard-nosed football the way the Ravens do.

Who would you like to see the Jets hire? What great offensive mind is out there? It isn't DeFilippo, Bieniemy or Zac Taylor, and probably not LaFleur or Carmichael, either.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Care to elaborate?
    For me I’m interested but how he handled rg3 and his injury was borderline criminal. He’s a heck of a coach though and would bring instant respect.

10. BacktoQueens

I guess I just don't see how it's not a fit.
    Harbaugh took on the Ravens, drafted a rookie QB in Flacco, and have had all that success since then even tho Flacco not really that good.
    He's also showing flexibility as a coach in how they are approaching offense with Jackson, another rookie.
    I think that's precisely what we need, and a very similar fit overall.

I think a lot of people (not necessarily you) are hung up on needing an Offensive coordinator as a HC, even though looking around the league it's clear there are a number of ways to succeed.
    Personally I want a coach with experience, flexibility, a proven track record, someone who emphasizes all sides of the ball, someone who emphasizes physical play for cold weather environments, and someone who the players respect and play for.
    Harbaugh checks a whole lot of boxes for me.

Like you said, everyone will have their preferences tho.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Shanahan is too old and his day has passed. He only had such success early with Denver because of Terrell Davis and John Elway. The Broncos didn't make the playoffs his last 3 years, didn't win a playoff game 9 of his last 10 years in Denver and was awful in Washington. He's also every bit as much of a jerk as Jim Harbaugh. No thanks!

The only positive that I can see to hiring him is that he is an experienced HC.

JetsNation06 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I'm warming up to the idea of McCarthy. I'm not going to be mad if the Jets get John Harbaugh, he just wouldn't be my first choice. I want offense.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Me either, but McVay / Kyle's systems did come from Mike ... I don't know if I want Shanahan coaching but a FO position would be interesting. Then again, I want McCarthy as a HC, Mike is well respected and puts together good coaching staffs.

Same boat as you.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The only reservation I have about McCarthy is that his offense seemed to get stale over the last few years. Can he get with the times and be more innovative? This is where I wouldn't mind Zac Taylor as the OC.

15. 101GangGreen101

Hopefully McCarthy right now is looking for new ways to re-invent himself. The foundation of the offense is good, some new wrinkles would be nice. But he can develop a QB, no doubt about it.

I wouldn't mind Zac Taylor coming along as well.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Would Shanahan take on the POFO job? He's got major experience and knows how to build a winning team. As a HC, IDK. The last years in Denver and then his time in Washington weren't positive, but maybe he was just burned out and now that he's had some off time could get back to where he was.

What I Am certain about is that he'd be a major upgrade over Bowles, and maybe he could help Macc out in identifying talent.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Shanahan was hot garbage for several years at the end of his Denver run and then almost his entire tenure with the Skins.

Pass.

Offer Bruce Arians full control. The guy is a whiz. Jets brass needs to think big. He can apologize to Bowles in private.

18. 101GangGreen101

He can def help Mac ... I think there was plenty of tension over in Washington while Shanahan was there, he wanted Cousins all along and Snyder traded up for RG3. Still Shanahan developed RG3 and Cousins and RG3 was the best rookie QB that year.

I would love to have him in some capacity for sure.

19. 101GangGreen101

Arians would get Darnold killed (see Big Ben and Luck). Arians offense is based on the line pass protecting for big plays down the field. I'll pass.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Shanahan would be a prime candidate for Director of Football Ops...NOT head coach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.