The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Harbaugh's effectively cheating his own team by having Jackson run even more than RG3 did. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...l-more-often-than-any-other-quarterback-ever/ It'll work really well until Jackson gets hurt, which unless they turn him into a passer during the offseason, will inevitably happen.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Here's Lincoln Riley's exposure to big time coaching. OC under Ruffin McNeal and under Bob Stoops before become the HC of an already established big time program.

Scott Frost was coached by Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, BB, Mike Tomlin and John Gruden. He became a linebacker coach on Northern Iowa and became their DC in his second year. He went to Oregon and worked for Chip Kelley under offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich. When Kelley took the Philadelphia job and Helfrich became the head coach he was promoted to OC. He was a finalist for the Nations top assistant coach. Mariotta won the Heisman and the Ducks went to the National championship game. In his 3 years as the Ducks OC they went 33 and 7 and finished ever year in the top 6 in scoring and total Offense.

When he joined UCF the year before they went 0 and 11. His first year 6 and 7. Year 2 13 and 0 a national top 10 ranking and a win against Auburn in the Peach Bowl.

He has come through the ranks and has an actual resume of achievement as both a player and coach on both sides of the ball. This guy isn't a flash in the pan. He's the real deal and he has roots with the team.

I still prefer either one of the Harbaugh but Riley has no exposure at all to defense or NFL football and has limited exposure under great college or pro head coaches.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Wentz was the MVP until he got hurt. It's a tough game. Jackson is what he is.

RG3 problem wasn't that he got hurt, it's how the team managed the injury. That was disgraceful.

4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Do you see Frost leaving Nebraska after 1year?

We’d have to pay him. He’s making $5 million a year for the Huskers, would have to make him a top 10 paid NFL coach.

Having said that, he’d be a great pick for GM.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If it was my money I wouldn't make him a top 10 paid NFL coach.

I hate the idea of reaching back into the college ranks. If I were I would go for the guy who I think is the next great Head Coach period. So if we can't get a Harbaugh and we want to go that way I would pay him a ransom of Woody's money.

I think he loves Nebraska and probably doesn't want to leave their before he gets them back on top. I suspect you're right but I would definitely interview him and let him know we want him down the road.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

RG3 was far more reckless as a runner, he would throw his body around everywhere. Jackson is taking hits, but not in the same way RG3 did.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree Jackson isn't as reckless as RG3, but I'm also not saying he'll fall apart after one year like RG3. But over the long run (say five years from now), Jackson will have to adapt or he'll be a shell of himself.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He will continue to improve in the passing game and there will be less design runs. They need some better receivers around him. There are times where Lamar is scrambling looking to throw but has no choice but to run it.

9. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I want an Offensive HC and Rex as DC!!

ST can stay, best we've had since Westhoff!

BacktoQueens and Brook! like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't care if UCF wound up 6th in the nation, they aren't a major college program.

If he can build Nebraska to a powerhouse, then I'll say he's ready.

It doesn't matter which coaches a player played under. Lots of great coaches never played under a great HC. In Riley's case, the HCs he has been an assistant for hasn't seemed to hurt him.

Frost has potential, I just don't think he's ready to be an NFL HC, and I still think it's nonsense to say that he's the best HC in college not named Saban.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

jftr, there have been MANY disaters at HC from NCAA... I think I want someone w/experience.
    We've been stuck giving 1st time HC a try, shit hasn't worked!

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The other part of the equation is which teams will need HC’s after this season. As long as there are at least 4-5, the Jets probably (likely) won’t be the choice destination.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Tell me what great NFL head coach didn't play or coach under a great NFL Head Coach?

Frost may or may not be ready, none of us know. He certainly has more experience than Lincoln Riley and at least came up the ranks as his own man. Lincoln Riley has been a coach for a few years with almost no exposure to anything not Bob Stoops.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The 64 dollar question. I could see 9 teams making a move.

Denver
    Cleveland
    Baltimore
    Green Bay
    Tampa Bay
    Buffalo
    Washington
    Arizona
    NY Jets

I think McCarthy, Harbaugh and Gruden would be mortal locks to get a new job with Harbaugh being my No. 1 choice. Gregg Williams has made a pretty good case to stay in Cleveland or get another job if they decide to move on.

Snooze you lose.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

They're going to miss out on the top guys...McCarthy, John Harbaugh. They always do. This franchise gives no reason or has no track record to make the fans believe that they're already in the planning stages to make a great hire shortly after week 17 is over.

They'll most likely wait way too long, come up with some BS story on how they're vetting all of the available candidates and end up settling for a backup option. This is why you need a real football mind at the top with a vision on how to build a franchise (either VP of football ops or GM). Otherwise it's just throwing darts and hoping to hit once in a blue moon.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Has it? They're not even in first place in the division and their defense is great. What has their offense done this year or any of the last 5 years to get you excited that John Harbaugh knows what he's doing with offense?

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with your post. Nothing you say is wrong. I don't think either three will be hired in this process. Maybe in a year or two. I was just thinking of three unknown candidates who could compare to McVay. I think the best of the three is Kafka but his experience is a major issue along with Siranni. As for Eberflus he is the best qualified but I don't want a defensive guy. I think the Jets should interview at least one of them to see what they have to offer.

That being said the guy I like the most is Whisenhunt. Offensive guy who has been a hc before. He has had success. Not sure if he wants a hc job again but as of now I like him.

Campbell in Iowa State interest me too but no NFL expierence scares me. Much different than college.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Yes it has worked out very well for Balt with him.

They've won a Super Bowl.
    They are competitive every year, with 7 winning seasons and only 1 losing season in a tough division.
    He's got a 10-5 record in the playoffs as well.

And this is all with a sub-par QB, and now a rookie QB with a unique style of play.

I'd sign up for some of that in a heartbeat.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd LOVE to get Gregg Williams in here as DC, paired with Harbaugh as HC.

Big Cat, NCJetsfan and Sam Hammer like this.
  20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I don't know about that, it could be. The Jets have what looks like their franchise QB along with a high draft pick and $100m to spend this year. It's not a bad situation at all, they have the means to substantially improve the team this year and the hardest part (QB) is done.

HomeoftheJets, FJF and BacktoQueens like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.