Tight Ends

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by barfolomew, Dec 15, 2018.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of our Tight Ends?

I like Chris Herndon a lot and it seems everyone else does too, including a lot of analysts.

What do you think of Tomlinson? From what I've seen I think he is a really good route runner, but he isn't a very good blocker.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think we have a serviceable group of TE's with no game changer like a Gronk, Kelce, or Ertz. Herndon is looking like Macc's best mid round pick by far. I'd like to see Leggett involved in the passing game. Isn't tomlinson supposed to be a good blocker?

Brook! likes this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Herndon can become a very good TE. Leggett has been a disappointment, and Tomlinson is a serviceable blocking TE.

#1 is the only one that really matters, and ours is a developing rookie

almbleamal, Brook! and FJF like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Herndon has potential. Leggett is a huge disappointment. Tomlinson should be gone following this season. He may be a good route runner (although I doubt it), but even if so, it doesn't do him any good because he can't catch the ball when it's thrown to him. He needs to go in a big way.

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Love Herndon. I don’t think he really need to be Gronk, Kielce or Ertz- just yet—that’s asking a lot.

But he could easily be a 60-70 catch guy year in and year out.

Considering how bad our TEs have been lately, I’ll take it.

boozer32, nycarl, apjbfc and 5 others like this.
  6. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Herndon has had a good rookie year and looks like he could develop into a pretty good receiving threat. I don't think Tomlinson should be on the team next year. He is supposed to be the blocking TE, but he constantly misses blocks.

abc and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

And penalties. Particularly false starts, which is inexcusable.

abc and jetfan59 like this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see us draft another top TE prospect to pair with Herndon , ala the Gronk - Hernandez tandem of years ago.

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

With so many holes i don't see this as a viable option.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That would mean Irv Smith from Alabama or Noah Fant from Iowa. Neither is worthy of top 5 pick, if you ask me.

Albert what's-his-face from Missouri is a soph this year - he looks like a total freak. I'd wait a year and pick him. Jets will be drafting pretty high next year as well anyway.

And frankly I wouldn't mind picking a TE in 1st as long as he is versatile. If he is as versatile as Aaron Hernandez was, he would solve a lot of OL woes by his mere presence.

[For instance: he can line up as a TE2, or FB, or WR. Hell, if he can carry the ball from the backfield, even better; I don't expect that to happen. This would mean Sam would get a carte blanche to run empty backfield at will, as long as he has Herndon and the new TE kid on the field at all times, shifting to heavy run formation as he sees fit.]

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I’m not looking for us to spend our 1st rounder on a TE but I’m hoping we can grab someone in a later round who has some big play potential to pair with Herndon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Well. You get what you pay for. Remember that.

Gronk had a reason for his fall; he had a major back surgery in his senior year. Without that, he's probably going at the top ten somewhere, if not top 5. Pats took a major gamble when they drafted Gronk - and it paid handsomely in this particular case.

And Gronk himself was a 2nd rounder - so if you are looking for a TE with production potential, you can't look too down low either.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. Unless we get extremely lucky or suddenly get a GM with a great eye for talent, if we want a stud TE, we're gonna have to draft him in the 1st or 2nd round.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Herndon is looking mighty solid and looks to be the future at the position. I wouldn’t spend a draft pick on a TE this year or if we do not before the 4th, much more pressing needs for our 1st and 2 3rds. If we want to upgrade the 2nd, 3rd spots we can do that in FA.

FJF likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That was a killer combo

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be opposed to another round four TE if he ends up as good as Herndon has looked. This draft should be centered around surrounding Darnold with talent.

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

TE's are fine.....its the WR that needs upgrading. We do not have a #1 and that needs to be priority to take the heat off the TE's and put enunwa and anderson into their proper positions as #2 (enunwa) and the slot (anderson).

FJF likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He has gone massively backwards this season, unfortunately, along with Sterling and his concussion issues and Leggett has flashed a tiny bit of ability but when you have an OC seemingly unwilling to target the two pass catching TE's you have drafted in back to back drafts it has certainly been a wasted season on the TE front.

FJF likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d add a te to compete with leggett and sterling for the 2 and 3 spots. Herndon is looking like a good starter

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Love Herndon, he's looking like our guy for the next couple years. Leggett is replaceable and Sterling can't stay healthy. Tomlinson needs to go like ASAP, he cannot be gone soon enough.

mrjet80 likes this.