The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Just dealing with the rules and regulations here - the whys and wherefores are another story altogether. In this particular case, the O-line guy may be a candidate for their open OC slot if Carmichael leaves so they may very well feel the need to not permit other teams to talk to him. True, that could piss off a guy set on leaving but there are at least two ways to look at these things.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good research job!

3. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

If Darnold keeps playing like this, there may be HCs lining up for us. All that FA money, a top 5 pick, a franchise QB waiting to be developed, and a chance to be a legend in NY....yeah...that sounds enticing.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I picked Mike McCarthy - simply because I am expecting James Campen to be relieved from the Packers organization. We need him badly too.

Here is the hope:

1. McCarthy brings James Campen, and squares this sorry OL away ASAP. I mean, if no-name prospects can grow to protect Aaron Rodgers for years, who the hell am I to turn my eyes away?
    2. Herndon grows into a competent TE.
    3. Jets get a decent WRs out of the draft. I was told Jimmy Robinson is not working with any NFL team as of right now. [He was responsible for the Golden Age of the Packers receivers during the early 2010's.]
    4. McCarthy molds Sam into a lethal QB. As Sam has played a variant of WCO under Bates, the transition will be smooth. It won't be a radical change. Which is a plus for me.

You see, we need more help than just the OC. The entire coaching staff needs a reboot. I do regard Karl Dorrell highly, but if Jimmy Robinson is available, I am taking him over Dorrell.

Of course this is but one alternative. [But attractive one, if you ask me.] If Sam can get a good protection with a number of receiving weapons on the field by year 2, the offense will start to roll. [The defense, on the other hand...]

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

My guess is it’s really a non factor. Most of these guys already have the core of their staff picked out when they start going on interviews. I’d have to see a lot of examples of teams holding guys back before I worried about it being an issue. Otherwise it’s an issue with every hire we can make.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

At first I was leaning towards John Harbaugh simply because of this past gem:

When asked as a guest on 98 Rock in Baltimore if he ever skirted the rules to gain an advantage: "The funny thing about that is that in the end, everything is brought before the light of day when it’s all said and done,” Harbaugh said. “So what happens is, even the thing in New England — no matter whether those things had any impact on whether they won their championships or not, they got asterisks now. They’ve been stained. So to me, it’s never worth it. If you’re cheating, in the end, you’re going to get discredited. It’s just not worth it."

I almost split my pants. Disappointingly, he wussed, flip-flopped, retracted it, and apologized. So then I remembered that I decided it wasn't worth ruining a perfectly good pair of pants and subsequently bringing those pants to the tailor to be mended so now I'm no longer leaning towards him.

7. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has brought him up, but I want to see Brant Bowyer at least get an interview. Of course, you have to gave really good coordinators under him. But to have a HC who can take a bunch of kids who never played much ST in college and perform this well takes discipline and accountability, things this team needs. And it would be nice not having a coach who only emphasizes defense and keeps a revolving door of OCs coming and going for the past 20 years, give or take. Imagine: a head coach who acts like he is in charge of the whole team, not just a third of it. We should have given Westhoff a chance, why make the same mistake twice? Somebody will make this guy a HC someday he's just too good IMHO.

It worked with John Harbaugh, it's not like an unheard of idea.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why not just hire Dave Toub of the Chiefs and keep Boyer as our STs Coordinator? Toub has a lot more experience, and his STs are the best in the game and have been for years with multiple teams. As recently as a year ago, when our STs sucked, people were screaming for Boyer's head.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yup. We have discussed this in the past and glad to see you coming around to the idea of him. Toub has an elite track record for his ST's units going back many years and different clubs. He's extremely well thought of around the league. No way in hell should Boyer be the HC but I'm fine with keeping him on board as the ST's guy and he can definitely learn under the tutelage of Toub.

At this point, any of Toub, McCarthy or John Harbaugh would be a good hire.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, I can be a little slow at times. LOL Besides as names have been whittled from the list of possibilities, and as I've read more about the candidates, it was either go with an older, more experienced coordinator or go with a young whippersnapper with little experience. I still prefer (in order) Harbaugh, McCarthy, Peterson, Toub/Carmichael (tie).

JetsNation06 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You can def remove DeFilippo from any OC / HC jobs. Dalvin Cook had his best game of the yr and the Vikings scored 40.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm an idiot for even considering him.

FJF likes this.
  13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

We've all been there. Don't feel bad.

HomeoftheJets, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

On the bright side there are at least 34 other idiots who voted for him. :D

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'm glad I wasn't one of them. [LOL]

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

@joe - Sorry I didn’t tag you. Let me know what you think about McCarthy. :)

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Sounds like Marrone may be available now -- IMO this would be a huge mistake by the Jags if they let him go.

They threw a garbage QB on him and when Bortles came back to earth the team was out of contention and basically gave up.

Not sure I blame the HC for Bortles.

20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Three under the radar guys the Jets should look at that I don't think have been mentioned.

1. Matt Eberflus: DC with the Colts. Never a HC before and a defensive guy. Two negatives for me but he has done a great job with that d. Coaching them up. The shut out yesterday. Probably not the guy for us for what we need but a name to look at.

2. Nick Siranni: Colts OC: Has been with Reich for awhile. Wonder if Reich is the guy behind the o or Sirianni. Young guy. Worth a look. I mentioned him before but I think if they do due dilligence they'd talk to him.

3. Mike Kafka: QB coach in KC. I've heard his name mentioned by some of the NFL Insiders. He is quickly being recognized as a young up and comer. Much like Peterson in Philly. Backup for Reed then went to his coaching staff. Northwestern grad. Played in the NFL but wasn't great. Obviously has done wonders with Mahomes. To me this is the risk reward type of hire I would like. Former player young is known to be smart and in the inner circles he is being mentioned. If we hired him the Jets would have to find their Wade Phillips to run the d. That guy if he is let go by Cleveland to me could be Greg Williams. Can't say I like Williams but he does well with d. Might be a nice combo.

Brook! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.