Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

And giving up market value in terms of prospects to boot, just to get out of half the contract

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Dislike x 1million

Red Menace likes this.
  3. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

I don’t like deal for Cano’s age and having to tie up money to him until he’s 41. I also don’t like seeing Kellenic shipped off.

But looking at it from the perspective of at what other point in time are the Mets going to have a stable of pitchers like Degrom Syndergaard and Wheeler(hopefully pitches as well as he did this year, all bets are off for us as always) for so cheap? There’s no guarantee these guys will be performing at this level again.

Cano is still very productive and would have been our best hitter this year. Clearly we are all of a sudden in win-now mode. Has to be better than last year...right? ....right?!

Brook! likes this.
  4. dawinner127

It wouldn’t be as bad if Cespedes wasn’t going to miss the entire season. Cano is basically going to replace what Jay Bruce was supposed to give us.

There are talks about Thor being on the block. Why make this move and then trade Thor if you are in win now.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

If this trade is made I would hope that the possibility of trading Thor is off the table. The other side of that, however, is if you get enough prospects for Thor to replace people like Kelenic and more, you can try to sign someone like Eovaldi for the rotation. If the Mets are suddenly willing to spend a reasonable amount of money for a New York team there are lots of options.

On the other hand, I don't like Cano at all as a human being, so I would certainly have to be in the position of rooting for the laundry on him. I also wonder what signing him would mean for McNeil.

6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

They absolute ca not trade Thor.

Not that the Wilpons care but this would wildly set the fanbase off.

7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Also non-tendered Wilmer Flores so apparently he's gone.

I wonder if he's crying.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I heard that McNeil was originally part of the deal, but changed their mind. I would have been annoyed if he was, but this deal isn't so bad because they a get a closer. I wonder how much money they are giving the Mets to make up for Cano's big contract. I really didn't think anybody would be interested in Bruce after last year. I guess they REALLY wanted to move Cano.

#8488 Sam Hammer, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  9. statjeff22

The story was that they were willing to pay $10 million of his salary, or $50 million, leaving the Mets on the hook for only $70 million. If he played at a similar .830 OPS level for at least 3 or 4 of those 5 years that's actually a reasonable cost, particularly since they also get to dump $26 million on Seattle for Bruce's contract and $8.5 million for Swarzak's. A net of a $35 million cost for five years of Cano really is chump change. The only problems I see with this trade are (1) Cano's a piece of shit as a human being, (2) he might not be as good off the PEDs and getting older, and (3) Kelenic is only 19 and Dunn is only 23, and one or both of them might end up being very good. The benefit to balance against point (3) is that Diaz is 24 years old and was quite possibly the best closer in baseball in 2018.

Sam Hammer and dawinner127 like this.
  10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Wow $10m a year seems really good! Even if Cano sucks, it won't kill the team, financially. I'd say they still need to get more hitting if they want to compete, however.

11. statjeff22

Yeah, we'll see what it turns out to be - $50 million seemed like more money than Seattle would be willing to pay, and of course nothing has actually happened yet. Given Bruce's and Swarzak's contract, getting $40 million wouldn't be bad either, effectively paying Cano less than $10 million per year. The plan would apparently be to have McNeil fill the Flores backup role.

The team clearly needs upgrades at first and third. They claim to be satisfied with the catching, but I don't see that. Cespedes also needs to come back at the same level as before and actually play. Definitely a work in progress.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

So much for Seattle picking up a meaningful part if his salary.

13. statjeff22

As I said in my post about 12 hours ago I would have been fine with $40 million; $20 million obviously isn't as good, but it's December, so rather than gloomily predict that this means they won't spend any more money to make themselves better, I'll optimistically say that this signals that they're going to actually act like a big market team. The next four months will tell the story, but at least we can say that (assuming everyone passes their physicals) the team is definitely better today than they were yesterday.

14. dawinner127

Hopefully Alonso is as good as they say. We are missing 25 and 90ish from our lineup with cespedes sidelined for god knows how long.

I would like to see them add more help in the pen for sure.

15. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I bet Degrom is happy about Patrick corbin deal.

16. dawinner127

Thor to the Bronx? Realmuto to Queens?

17. statjeff22

I'll be surprised if they do it. Syndegaard is 2 years younger, is under team control for an additional year (3 years versus 2), and catchers tend to break down at a younger age than other players. Unless the Mets have decided to join the stampede away from starting pitching, these uncertainties combined with the potential for Thor to win a World Series on the mound in the Bronx makes this a gigantic risk to take.

#8497 statjeff22, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Sam Hammer likes this.
  18. NYGalPal

I just heard the rumor and immediately felt ill. They better not!

DO NOT trade Noah. Just sign Grandal and leave Noah alone.

When you really think about it the difference between a Realmuto and Grandal aren't so stark that trading Noah is worth it.

#8498 NYGalPal, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Red Menace likes this.
  19. NYGalPal

I wouldn't mind the Mets picking up Tulowitzki. He hits his best at Citi. Right handed bat and adds some depth. (probably will get hurt asap though) He didn't wanna come to the Mets last time. He will be had by someone for min so don't see the harm in giving an offer. Doesn't show any life can just release him.

20. statjeff22

So Callaway announces that if Cano wants to loaf his way down to first base on ground balls he's okay with that? Because he's old? There's true managerial leadership! How about telling him your expectations in private, Mickey, rather than broadcasting for the world how you already know that he's going to do whatever the hell he wants anyway?

https://www.apnews.com/ffa5fa275fc94330b1103dc83f8350da