The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

For the retreads, I would take John Harbaugh. The Ravens haven't done much over the past couple years, but they were perennial challengers his first seven years. The Ravens have largely been gutted of talent as of late, and Harbaugh has still managed to field respectable teams regardless of that fact. Don't get me wrong, I think his brother is a more passionate and creative coach overall, but I don't see anything tearing Jim away from Michigan. Plus, Jim is abrasive and a habitual bridge burner, and although that may be needed here now, he'd probably be a quick exit the same way he was with the Niners.

Other than that, I'd also consider Josh McDaniels; he's older and wiser now, and I think he'd bring what this team needs in terms of developing young players.

I'd be careful in considering a college HC, unless he has had prior experience as an NFL coach, preferably a coordinator. The college and pro games are just getting too different, and the transition from one to the other is becoming more and more difficult.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree with everything except McDaniels. What has he shown since his last failure to make you believe he'd be any better? There are much better candidates.

3. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

I actually think it's just the opposite. the NFL is finally catching on and incorporating college schemes into the weekly game plans.

What I take issue with is the idea of pairing an experienced defensive minded HC with a hotshot OC candidate ala the Harbaugh/Kingsbury pairings etc... Just look at all of the suggestions being made about peeling off an OC to become the new HC of the NYJ. You need an offensive head coach so that regardless of losing coaching personnel, the system itself doesn't change significantly. Andy Reid is still running his system (and incorporating new college stuff) even though he's lost Pederson, Nagy, and others. If the Jets manage to snag one of these guys as OC and that person produces, the odds are they'll be offered a job within 2-3 seasons. Roll the dice with a Kingsbury or Lincoln Riley. Worst case, we keep losing and it we're all kind of used to it now.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Matt Campbell from Iowa State has his own system, the thing is, no one is going to take this job with a crappy GM on his last leg.

5. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Just want a creative offensive mind.

Don't like what De fillipo is doing in minny though. Again and again his HC is moaning they are not running the ball. That to me doesn't sound great to me.

Don't want a D head coach and hire the next shanahan or mcvay only for 2 years later have them do one somewhere else. I want that offensive HC tied to Sam for a long time

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. Hayden

Hayden Active Member

Mike McCarthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boozer32 likes this.
  7. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Defilippo was my top choice, but the vikings offense has been very underwhelming.

John harbaugh would be my choice now. He might not be the young offensive guru we all want, but at the least he’ll get this team prepared every week. Something we havent had for a while

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think John Harbaugh is smart enough and has enough gravitas that he’ll be able to identify and hire an innovative OC.

Jim is just fucking weird.

boozer32 and cgrec like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Can you please give some examples? I didn't keep up with him when he was in SF, but knew they were a very good team and they won.

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I would love Jim Harbaugh, but if he comes out of college it will be for the Packers. What coach wouldn't want to hinge their chances on a HOF QB?

11. It works both ways.Who wants to possibly deal w the pressure of trying to win w an amazingly talented QB that has not been healthy in 2 years & openly undermined his super bowl winning coach out of town?

12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I was listening to someone interview Paul Finebaum a few weeks back and they asked him about the NFL and possibly the Jets and he kind of panned it saying he really doesn't belong in the NFL and especially NY--just too quirky to get away with some of the stuff he does. Traveled with him and Michigan to some trip overseas and just being around him on a daily basis said he was a weird dude. Not just the Khakis from Walmart but his philosophy and how he treated his kids--not bad mind you but not for NFL adults--wouldn't get away with it. Basically said he thought he was a bit of a loon without actually saying it. And said Harbaugh does not give a shit what people think about him, which can be refreshing on the college level when you are a king of a massive program but not so much in the NFL.

I googled him and there is some weird stuff out there.

I think John is much more stable.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Probably most candidates. They know if they fix the offensive system/scheme and just improve the D they have an automatic winning team with little effort, and with a sound organization and scouting dept., they know that they will continue to get excellent talent with which to build and compete. With the Jets, it would be like trying to win with one arm tied behind your back, if not both arms and both feet. One is dealing with an almost completely dysfunctional organization, with clueless, meddlesome owners, an incompetent GM who could be gone in a year, little or no discipline on the team, holes everywhere, little talent or depth on the team except on defense and an offense that with the exception of the QB almost completely has to be rebuilt, and there are no guarantees on the QB.

14. NCJetsfan

OK, thanks.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The two names I keep hearing linked to us are John Harbaugh and Matt Campbell (Iowa State HC). Both interest me.

Harbaugh has a SB knows how to build a team and be a HC and let the cordinators run their side of the ball. He'd be my first choice. He plays northeast football too. Running game with a tough defense. My biggest question is does he part from Baltimore and does he want more front office control. I'd be fine with that. Probably means Mac goes.

Campbell I've heard good things about. Young good football mind and knows how to run an orginization. My bigger fear is he doesn't have any NFL experience. He even turned down a chance to interview with the Pats a number of years back. Doesn't mean it won't translate but my one concern.

That being said I'd be fine with either one. I know there are other candidates out there but I'd be fine with either guy.

boozer32, dogg and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you know kurt, that's a solid point. I think, regardless of Rodgers though, the Green Bay Packers job is an attractive one because the organization has been stable and respectable for the last few decades, unlike our Jets.

However, I like your point about Rodgers openly undermining McCarthy. For some reason the media kisses Rodgers' ass. The guy is a dick. I wish someone would have the balls to say it. Even if its not here, I hope McCarthy has success somewhere else.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

John Harbaugh has the Ravens safely in the playoffs and a half game back of the division title. We might have to set that "dream" aside. How is he gonna be fired? he's having one of his best years as coach

boozer32 likes this.
  18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

That's my one fear. He's overachieving. Viewed as a very good coach. Why would you let him go. Be intersting to see how it plays out. We can hope.

19. NCJetsfan

Supposedly, it's a mutual agreement that he needs to go. Evidently, there are major philosophical differences between the FO or owner and Harbaugh. Now maybe this season and winning will change both sides' minds, but I hope not. I hate the Ravens, and would love to see them descend to the pits and us get Harbaugh and ascend.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Of course he won't come. The reason we want him with full control is he has a book on every 5 star prospect and knows many of them personally. That's exactly who you want picking the groceries.

He is by far the best HC in college football, runs the best organization and knows both sides of the ball. He is meticulously detail oriented. A lot like BB. He also has valuable experience of failing in the NFL which he would never repeat.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.