Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

With a bigger sample you can see a little bit more.

Allen is all about his feet, can make a few splash plays though

Rosen similar to darnold in the fact his team are dire and he's struggling however he does have fitz and DJ

Darnold has been bad but not awful. Doesn't help when Bates is your OC and no talent around you.

Mayfield has the best talent around him and has looked decent in parts.

It's pretty much a rookie class

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

hope to see this updated

3. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Sam, but I think he's going to be a very good QB. I've seen flashes from him that I haven't seen from a Jets QB since Pennington.

He started pretty strong but actually regressed this season, which I put squarely on the head of 1) Coaching 2) Injuries, which have really thinned out an already poor roster of WR's.

He's a 21 year old rookie thrown to the wolves on a team that's terrible, even for the Jets.

I've been watching this shit-show for almost 40 years, and I'm as pessimistic/jaded as they come. However, I think Sam is going to be very good.

In a few years, I may look back at this post and cringe.... but I certainly hope not.

4. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

He's actually been pretty good the past 2 games for a rookie in his 7th start. He's basically been our entire offense the past 2 weeks. I like what I've seen from him.......3-4 as a starter on a rebuilding team is not bad.

26/52 50% 391yds 3td 2int(1 pick was a hailmary to end the half)
    22 car 234yds 1td

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What Allen's doing isn't sustainable. By running so much, he's putting his body at risk, and he's forcing the defense to devote a player as a spy. Which makes life easier as a passer because the windows become larger. McDermott's allowing Allen to run because he was concerned about his job, but he's actually doing Allen and the team a disservice in the long run.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

He ain't making it to 30 years old and still in the league never mind the bills if he keeps that up.

Don't get me wrong it can be exciting to see these splash plays but it isn't sustainable.

I'd be worried if he's running this much next year

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I was looking the QBs up out of interest and saw that both Sam and Josh have the exact same completion percentage - 55%

Sam actually has a better QB rating than Josh (who has a staggering 1 TD 4 Int ratio at the moment) - which just goes to show how terrible the offense is regardless of who is throwing the ball - this gives me hope for Sam going forward with new coaching, new o-line, new WR, basically new everything except for Adams, Myers and couple of others would be good

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

You know we're Jets fans when our silver lining is that our journeyman backup QB is playing worse than our rookie QB.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and TonyFtLaud like this.
  9. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

With resepct, McD is not the LEAST bit worried about his job. Bills fans are actly quite high on Allen at the moment bc last week he finally seemed to get a grasp on the passing. 1 bad pass led to an INT on a terrible route (ran by the no longer waste of space Benjamin) and his other int was a hail mary to end the 1st half. Like all rookies, there will be regressions - but his 2nd half was the best half of qb play that team has seen since Kelly retired. He single handedly put that team on his back and carried them to an almost win. After running around for 70 yards, he heaved a 60 bomb that came up short 6 ft short and he needed some help from his guy with a nice catch. Sadly, stone hands Clay didnt help him. In another thread, someone mentioned that you needed to be worried about Barkley playing... yikes. Dude couldnt hold Allens jock. The kid is FAR from a finished product and as with all rookies there will be ups and downs. That said, he has shown excellent growth since his return to the lineup. Hopefully Sam shows the same in that it benefited him to watch and learn for a few weeks.
    But for fwiw, if you are just looking at the box score you arent getting the entire story. Dude is throwing absolute dimes as well as the occasional rookie throw - but he has Buffalo abuzz about their qb position for the 1st time in a long time. Record is a moot point as this has become about developing young players in a fun and positive way. No jobs are on the line. Simply setting the foundation for the coming years and getting to the huge cap $$ to play with. He poor WR core has some terrible drops and there have been minimal screens or check downs. That comp % is essentially 75% 15 yrd plus yd throws. Hopefully, its a blast watching these 2 young qbs face off for whats the 1st of many quality matchups.

tiger8mush likes this.
  10. Billsfan1212

And fwiw, Im just offering a Bills POV. Its fun to see, and hope Darnold offers younguys the same excitment going forward

NCJetsfan and tiger8mush like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

I don't shy away from calling out homerism for my team, so I'm sure not going to be shy calling it out from a Bills fan. Objectively speaking, Allen's passing has not been impressive (neither has Darnold's but that's another story). And the whole "The box score doesn't reveal the whole picture, you need to watch the games" thing is really overblown. First of all, I did watch Allen's throws. And second, it's convenient how every time someone says that, it's always in defense of a player he liked to begin with. As for McDermott, I guarantee Bills fans and the media would be calling for his head if Allen looked as bad as he would if he was told to stop scrambling.

12. Billsfan1212

Its 100%being a Bills homer, but in this case - thats the point. The Jags games was more his legs. Phins was a nice mix - instilling faith and displaying growth in his arm. It just so happened he had some large chunk runs, but thats not indicative of his passing. There will be moments where he digresses. He will for sure have regressions. You can see the national media turning. A Dolphins recap was ' Dolphins survive Josh Allen' Brian Baldinger @baldynfl on twotter even calls allen exciting and a ball of talent while he feels Darnold is the bust. I disagree, but i guess my point is just bc you dont want the kid to look good to dont think he has impressed doesnt mean everyone else does. Heck, im sure Bills and Jets fans want their other QB to bust. Im not one of those guys. Im simply saying there has been some nice growth and i hope Sam shows the same qnd this is a fun matchup. I also however dont think its fair to try and justify your point that was incorrect by qrguimg a hypothetical that ismt even true. The Bills and Jets are im different places with their regimes. Just bc the record is similar doesnt mean the situation is. Most intelligent Bills fans gave their coach a pass one way or another this year as the roster was made worse on purpose. If this is still the case in 2 yrs, you het his seat would be hot. No one was judging him with a rookie qb in a tredding water year abt development just trying to get to the draft and a huge cap $$

13. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

From what I gathered from Josh Allen the past 2 games is he's already better than Bortles and on par with Tannenhill as a rookie. That may not be saying much......but Josh Allen actually looks like he can play in the NFL. I think the issue is when it comes to evaluating Josh Allen is you have a large number of people saying that he was most likely of all the 1st round QB's drafted to bust so no matter the signs of growth and playmaking ability he shows they will find someway to minimize it just to prove they were right about him.

He scrambles a lot and out runs linebackers and safeties .........(doubters)that's not sustainable, he's gonna get hurt. He throws a bomb for a touchdown, (doubters)he missed that easy throw to so & so...see he's inaccurate.

The kid is a rookie and far from a finished product, but he's shown he's a gamer and a playmaker. Eventually he'll need to make more plays with his arm, but for now I'm fine with him running around stiff arming and jumping over linebackers for touchdowns and 1st downs.

Billsfan1212 likes this.
  14. Billsfan1212

Exactly, and of course expectations need to be managed accordingly. Even watching the hilights dont tell the entire story. It wont show the perfect back shoulder pass to Zay that was overturned, the spot on pass to KB at the goal line that hit his hands and fell to the ground, or the early pass to jones on the sideline that was where it needed to be but wasnt pulled in. Conversely, it wont show the missed wide open zay in the back of the endzone for an easy TD they had a miscommunication on.
    The kid is a polarizing player who, as you mentioned, depending on your initial thoughts is easy to carry a bias with -good or bad- until hes either a star or washed up.
    The small things such as ball placement and moving on from his 1st read or bailing too early are showing improvement, which is a good thing.
    All these rookie QBs are past the point of saying 'hes the best prospect since Kelly or Namath' as they are starting to show what they can do. They arent at the point however where they can be called successes or busts as they are less than 10 starts in and just being consistent is still a goal.
    Theres nothing wrong with being a homer qnd excited for your guy - but at the same time isn't it silly to down play any of them bc you dont want them to succeed and have your guy fail?
    Personally i hope both young AFCE qbs grow into their own and a nice rivalry blossoms.
    I like Darnold and wish him success until they play the Bills. I also dont care to minimize or explain his early success for reasons such as being bitter my team didnt get the guy.
    I was pissed the Bills didnt get to #2 for Sam and he landed with the Jets. Now Allen is my guy and im excited by what hes shown. Hopefully Sam continues building on his promising base and is equally exciting!

15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Get a room you two.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Would love to read your posts, but it's a struggle getting through them without paragraphs & proper spelling.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. Billsfan1212

We have one over at TBD.
    Just decided to stretch the ol'legs a bit and weigh in on a fun topic while trying to be objective and respectful

18. Billsfan1212

Ill hit the spacebar for ya on occasion.
    Fat fingers cant be helped however.
    That said, cool avatar! I dig the Hollywood Joe pic

19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Some of Allen’s passing has been impressive, some of it has not. That’s a rookie. I was an Allen hater when we picked him. But what I’ve realized through watching him is that the accuracy arguments that people make are just not true, and it’s lazy reporting. If you watch even just last week (or maybe it was the week before, can’t rememebe), Allen has probably 3-4 great passes called back by some lineman getting a penalty (hands to the face, illegal formation, etc.). Other times there’s no one open and he throws the ball away. Other times he throws to guys, hitting them right on the hands, and they drop it (looking at you Benjamin). When the team around you is so god awful (look at our starters, I dare you) it really reflects poorly on the qb stats, when none of the above had anything to do with Allen. You can say that “the stats don’t tell the story” is a cop out, but that’s what you’d say if you didn’t watch. Every team has dropped passes and throw aways, but the bills have been pretty disproportionate in comparison. I was never a josh Alllen fan, and I wanted to be right about it, but I can no longer objectively say that my prior opinions about Allen were true. I can’t wait until they start surrounding him with people who can actually play football.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Allen can make some pretty freaky throws. Reminds me a bit of Randall Cunningham, actually.