The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Wouldn't hire Kingsbury as a HC but would love to have him as our OC. Pair him with John Harbaugh and we're looking at a solid coaching staff.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unless Bowles is fired, and a well-respected, offensive-minded HC is brought in, good luck trying to lure a good OC. The Jets is where OCs go to die. According to this article in ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/j...-nfls-toughest-jobs-coaching-the-jets-offense

"...Five men have held the position since 2001, and not one of them has gone on to bigger and better things. The Jets and the Buffalo Bills are the only AFC teams since 2001 that haven't produced an offensive coordinator who has become a head coach at the pro or college level...

Why is that? A few reasons:

There's no place to hide. Because the Jets have employed defense-minded head coaches (Todd Bowles is the sixth straight), the offensive coordinator is front and center, an easy target for fans and media..."

And beyond the string of defensive-minded HCs, there's the defensive-minded GMs (or GMs who did the D-minded HC's bidding), including of course our current GM, Macc, who has shown no appreciation or understanding of what it takes to build a modern NFL offense. So as long as Macc is the GM, trying to attract the best coaching talent is going to be a hard sell. Why would any coach who wants to succeed come to a franchise with such a long history of failure, especially offensive failure? The "new" NFL is an offense-driven league, and until the Jets show they get that, it's going to be really hard to attract the best candidates.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The only head coach in NY Jets history to win the AFL NFL Championship won the NFL championship before the AFL existed. Not coincidentally Ewbank won championships with 2 of the best QB/WR combinations of the time. Unitas to Berry and Namath to George Sauer Jr.

The NFL has been around longer than the SB. A championship is a championship even without calling it the Super duper championship of shared revenue for owners.

Warning: Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Exactly. Or vice versa.

Biggs likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No more former DCs as HC for a good while. We've seen enough of that!

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Interesting. I don't know how I feel about getting a rookie HC again, but the pool in general seems kind of thin. Well, a rookie HC with no previous NFL experience is more what I mean, but ya gotta start somewhere, I guess. I don't watch enough college ball to make an informed comment. Therefore, my comment is useless so guess I shouldn't have commented at all, haha.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think a veteran coaching staff, especially on the defensive side of the ball would be needed to help ease in the transition. This guy can coach, no doubt about it, he makes a lot of adjustments, whatever is needed. I think that is the type of coach the Jets need. Maybe not an offensive guru, but knows how to call plays, has a system as well. College game is ahead of the NFL right now. His former coordinator is with the Colts (TE coach), could be our OC, or have a bigger capacity with the team.

Jets need someone unconventional I think, boring ol defensive coaches, and I just don't know about John DeFilippo, his offense has been uninspiring.

8. NCJetsfan

The pool is anything but thin. Over the years since Rex was the HC and now Bowles, it's frequently been said that they couldn't be fired because there were no suitable replacements. When Bowles was hired, there were only Quinn and Bowles as the "hot assistants" and few liked any of the "retreads" that were available. Those years were "thin."

This year there is a veritable plethora of good candidates for the HC job that the Johnsons could have a choice between:

In each category, they are listed in the order I want them.
    Retreads (that I know of that at least some posters on this site would be a good candidate, and there could be more)
    Jim Harbaugh
    John Harbaugh
    possibly Mike McCarthy
    Todd Haley
    Josh McDaniels
    if we wanted to consider DCs, there are Gregg Williams, Dom Capers and others

"Hot" Coordinators
    Dave Toub
    Matt LaFleur
    Pete Carmichael
    John DeFilippo
    Eric Bieniemy

Collegiate Head Coaches
    Chris Peterson
    Matt Campbell
    Lincoln Riley
    David Shaw

If the Johnsons can't find a quality HC from among all those candidates, then they should just fold the franchise.

I can understand why some would be or are opposed to "retreads," but imo with a young, undisciplined team, we need a HC with head coaching experience. We don't need some novice, first-time HC who has to figure out or learn how to be a HC on the clock. We need someone that has been successful elsewhere, be it the NFL or college, who will command the players respect with his knowledge, demeanor, success, what he expects from them, and the way he goes about his job from day one.

The Johnsons have gone about doing things the "insane" way (continuing to do things in the same way, hiring the same novice HCs who were DCs, and expecting a different result) long enough. We need a team that will be offensive-driven and focused, not defensive driven, but we still need balance, something we haven't had since the days of Mangini or Parcells. We need a disciplined, experienced HC who is capable of motivating/inspiring the players, who is a great teacher, who will get immediate buy-in from the players, have the team prepared to play each and every week, who is capable of making in-game adjustments and who will fit the systems to the players he has, who can hire a quality staff, who isn't ultra-conservative/passive, who perhaps has some riverboat gambler and some "fun" trick plays in him, who is creative/innovative, and who knows how to manage the game and the clock.

#189 NCJetsfan, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The coaching pool looks fat to you.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the next Jets head coach will NOT be someone from that list

11. NCJetsfan

Sadly, you're probably right. The Johnsons will undoubtedly hire the Taylors or some DB coach from a Div. III or lower (if there is such a thing) school.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong I like Jim Harbaugh. Since he was a QB at Michigan. He did a great job at San Francisco. But he never got them over the top and that was with a competent GM. We have none here and expecting him to get the Jets where they need to be is a reach. Plus he has a cushy job at Michigan and may not want the headache that is the New York Jets. So now who else do the Jets look at?

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Mike Francesa seems to disagree with you....He brought this scenario up recently.He said he wants to return to coaching.

14. Green Lantern 80

I would be most happy with one of the Harbaugh boys. No more defensive minded JV projects who only understand one side of the ball. Give us someone who will maximize Sam’s potential and be able to coach all of a team. Why is it so hard to understand clock management and making adjustments at the half?

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

McCarthy is now available.

Called in the other thread. Rodgers played to get Mike fired today.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Does anyone realize that if Rodney Dangerfield was given the coaching job he'd get more respect than Bowles? And he's been dead for fourteen years. How long has it been since Bowles died?

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Okay I'll say it. Saban. Give him full control and make it worth his while.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Wasn't that what he had in Miami? Running a NCAA powerhouse does not equal NFL success.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Would love Saban but at 67 does he pull up roots where he's attained Bear Bryant-level immortality and where he's built up enough "national championship equity" to the point where 5-star prospects want to go to Tuscaloosa to play under him?

Nowadays just the 'Bama brand alone enables Saban's recruiting people to fill out the roster while Saban zeros in on the tippity-top shelf blue-chippers. The NYC factor aside, I think he'd be nuts to want to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.