Chad - 2nd ALL TIME Accurate Passer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JoeJet, Dec 6, 2006.

1. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

according to today's New York Daily News....

" With 35 attempts against the Packers, Chad Pennington eclipsed the 1,500 mark in his career, giving him the minimum amount to qualify for the all-time rankings in completion percentage. With a 65.1% mark, he's the second-most accurate passer in history, trailing only the Cardinals' Kurt Warner (65.5%)...."

2. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Wow awesome... I always knew he was accurate but not THAT good. With all the receivers Chad has had is he disadvantaged against warner?

3. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

It's pretty easy to have a high completion percentage when you throw short and go to the checkdown receivers primarily.

4. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

what makes it even more impressive is that he plays the majority of his games in the northeast, particularly Giants Stadium, Buffalo and New England and no domed stadiums...

5. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

A lot of people say this, but I see a lot of QB's are far more inaccurate at the shorter stuff than they mid range throws as you need to have more poise, leade the receiver well and also look out for the coverage.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Why don't you list the top ten, I'm sure it will be an impressive list?

7. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Daunte Culpepper is also up there in that category. Not to take anything away from Chad, but it's a somewhat overrated stat.

8. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

I would list the top ten,,,but the Daily News did not,,,that is just what you got in a little blurb in the paper...

9. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I remember Mike and Mike talking about the top 5 guys....believe me that is not that great of a stat when you are sitting amongst the likes of Culpepper, Warner, Bulger...etc...

I think taken into consideration with other stats like YPA and TD/INT ratio you can get a good look at how good a qb truly is. I'm much more interested in Yards per Attempt but people don't use that stat too often...

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Never liked yards per attempt, it favors short passers which doesn't necessarily help your O and can in fact pinch your running game. YPC gives a better indication of how your stretching the field and when combined with YPA can give you a better indication of what the QB is doing. For instance if two QB's have a similiar YPA but one is completing passes at a much higher %, the QB with the higher % of completions actually needs more plays to move his team the same distance down the field. That can be a good thing but it also can be a bad thing. More plays, more errors and generally if you need to pass more times to move the same distance down the field it means your running game is being bottled up.

To me Total passing TD's is a huge stat unless it comes with a huge amount of INT's. If a QB is throwing 32 TD's in a season or 2 per game and one is throwing 16 TD's or one per game that's a 7 point differential in the passing game every game. The elite QB's throw a lot of TD's and that's what seperates them from the pack.

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I prefer wins and losses when it comes to qb's. Championships are a good barometer too.

Not knocking Chad..well maybe I am but there are probably a few dogs on that list too.

12. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I think YPA is a fairly good measuring stick. Look at the top 5 this season, you've got Romo, McNabb, Brees, Manning and Palmer. When you're comparing middle of the pack guys with wildly disparate completion %s is when what you're talking about comes into play. But as with most things the cream rises to the top.

13. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

What site do you use that gives you YPA? I would def'n be more interested in learning who the all time YPA leaders are.

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

ESPN has YPA. Pro-football-reference also has a stat called adjusted YPA which is (passing yards + 10*(TD passes) - 45*(interceptions thrown)) / (pass attempts). I think this is a little more complete as it attempts to incorporate TDs/INTs into the "efficiency" formula.

As for all time leaders I don't know of any site that has that kind of information. At a guess I'd expect to see someone like Steve Young or Kurt Warner at the top of the list though.

15. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

Does that include guys like Kitna, Damon Huard and Roethlisburger being even close to Tom Brady? Because according to your YPA, they are all better than him...And Brady is #11, Chad is #12

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

Say what you want about Huard but this year he was absolutely excellent when he took over for Green. As for the other two, they've been turnover machines so I'm not exactly sure what your point is. No one has even suggested that YPA is the end all and be all of QB stats, just a nice tool.

17. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I am glad we have Chad.

18. greenteam

greenteam New Member

and how many different programs has he been in the last few years...

19. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Perfect timing to announce your retirement @ Chad. :wink:

20. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

YPA is probably my favorite QB stat as well in terms of rating effectiveness.