What is wrong with the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Patriot, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly. Belichick is a C student in a league coached by special education students. How else can you explain those other 7 wins?

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Coaching

These quotes sum it up perfectly. 12 games in and 4 seasons of Bowles whack defense philosophy this is what was said by Avery Williamson

MLB Avery Williamson, explaining the poor run defense, said "we can't be individuals and do our own thing." Asked if there was freelancing yesterday, he said, "I would just say everybody wasn't on the same page, myself included." Mind you, this is Week 12. Williamson said there were communication issues and players weren't in the right gaps. He said he must be louder with his calls at the line because "some guys didn't hear some calls." This is the kind of stuff that should be ironed out in training camp.

DL McClendon:
    McLendon: Need to execute better

Woody only writes the checks. He needs to get a real coach. One who knows how to coach up the players they are getting through the draft and free agency. Needs to know what kind of assistant coaches to get this team playing together and more important competitively. Bowles should have never been hired and definitely should not have received a 2 year extension.

#42 boozer32, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Patriot and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, good assessment, but what's the source?

4. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Mike Maccagnan has a very difficult decision in trying to get the right coach for this team. The team is not getting better with Bowles, and if Maccagan picks the wrong guy, he must go also.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NYJFOREVER and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

There are two main problems with the Jets:

- the offense is terrible - we are averaging 11 points per game over the last 5 games - we have scored one TD or none in four of the five losses. The Jets are the worst team in the NFL in terms of red zone performance.

- the defense is terrible - Jets have 0 takeaways during the last 5 games - it ties an NFL record for the longest drought without a takeaway, according to ESPN.

Aside from those two aspects the team is playing pretty well.

Peebag and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Wait Woody is calling plays on offense now? Didn't realize.

8. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

When the idiot owner of a team hires an idiot GM to hire another idiot coach who then brings in another idiot OC... Yes, the Johnson collective is responsible for the product on the field including the shitty offensive plays.

9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I think it's a self fulfilling prophecy. The organization has had no long term success. With the lack of winning, expectations are set so low that any modicum of hope is accepted as "a good job" by ownership and fans.
    Take last season, Bowles (and/or Mac) performances was deemed acceptable to the front office and was given extensions for 5 wins.
    Even now, I bet Woody\Chris are still debating whether or not to keep Todd.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, let's start with your first premise - that the piece is well written. It is certainly not. It is also appropriate when quoting such a piece to identify the writer and the source. The author appears to be claiming information on the inner working of the New York Jets but cites nothing to support that theory and seems to be relying on intuition and guesswork. The dating of the piece does nothing to add relevance to its use today.

Why bother, especially with that enormous cobblestone of a paragraph to deal with?

GTA_G20 and nycarl like this.
  11. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Nothing, they are a very successful business model. No matter how bad the product the fans come back and spend money. They grow in value every year as a corporation. Wins and looses only project success to the fans. The Johnson’s have the team right where they want it. Woody will own the team until the end of his life, and then we as fans will hope for a better owner.
    I feel in my heart that him moving the team to England would be the most humane death to the fans of this franchise.

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I thought that Woody used an agency to hire both Macc and Bowles. Wasn't Bowles the one in charge of hiring other coaches? I thought Macc wasn't in charge of coaching hires, since the Jets have a weird system where the HC doesn't answer to the GM (or president of operations). That part is on Woody for sure, but can you blame him for Bates being promoted instead of getting a real OC?

13. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

As long as mediocrity=sales this trend will continue

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The "piece"...as far as I can tell, was written by some schlub in another Jets chat forum.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The team is not great but this atrocious staff has us underachieving. We should be around 5-6 but are 3-8 because Bowles and Rodgers are dopes, out coached every game. And we've had the usual rookie QB growing pains.

Injuries have hit us hard. Moreso than most other teams. Literally every receiver has been hampered by significant injury. But even if all were healthy there is no true gamebreaking #1 there.

Bowles judgement is just horrible. He fired Morton for Bates? It's clear Morton was way better even if he wasn't some great offensive coordinator

We have no true ball-hawks, no true playmakers on defense. We have good defensive talent but under Bowles leadership that talent is not being put in the best position to succeed

NYJFOREVER and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Patriot

I think Mangini got an unfair firing. He was forced to deal with Favre also. I don't think Mangini is not ready for a GM post, but I can see him as an advisor like Tony Russa is for the Red Sox.

17. Patriot

I did a simple Google search on why Woody Johnson is bad for the Jets and I found this in a forum.

I think the author is somewhat of an Ivy League snob, but his argument that the Jets was a way to keep Woody from the family business was interesting.

Keep in mind I have no idea what role his brother plays today while he is the Ambassador to Britain.

18. Patriot

Since you are the 2nd person to ask for the source and you could have simply done a Google search to find it, here it is with some more sources for your entertainment. I have read many other web postings. I am not claiming this guy is 100% right, but he makes an interesting argument.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-...s/The-sad-sad-life-of-Woody-Johnson-70531948/

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/wor...ndle-presidents-postponed-state-a3571646.html

https://www.forbes.com/profile/johnson/#70f08d7f48a4

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/meet_christopher_johnson_woody_johnsons_jets_succe.html

19. Patriot

What I don't get is when he was a defensive coordinator with the Cardinals, he was considered an innovative genius. I remember one game where Brady was completely perplexed dealing with the Cardinal defense run under Bowles. What happened to him, is there something about the Jet complex that makes people dumber?

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I didn't ask for the source, I simply stated that it is appropriate to name the author and source when posting someone else's work not require the reader to research it. It is such a poorly written hack piece and is wrong about the reason Woody does not work at Johnson % Johnson that I question why anyone would repeat it while lauding its literary style. What's so interesting about that? For the record, the short version is that the father of Woody and Chris was fired by their grandfather which basically severed their lineage in the company. You're 0 for 2, Patriot fan - give it up.

ColoradoContrails likes this.