Becoming a Casual Fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by barfolomew, Nov 25, 2018.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

The Jets have a die-hard fan base. Going to Giants, Falcons, Panthers games, there is a clear enthusiasm gap between their fans and ours. Our crowd/fan base seems highly motivated and highly involved in the game.

I used to be one of these die-hard fans. But after the past few seasons, I now am much more casual.

I don't care about the games as much anymore. When the Jets blow it, I take the attitude of "Same shit as always."

Moving away from the NYC metro area and into a part of the country where fall might be the best time outdoors, I am not motivated to go to a bar and pay money for the privilege of watching the Jets suck.

I was able to watch the Jets game at home today, due to the Patriots being a national team. Yet I was still detached from it for the most part. Seeing the stands half-empty today and patriots fans making up at least a quarter of the people there, seems to show our franchise is dying.

With over-priced tickets, a losing team across decades, and the diversity of entertainment now available, I wonder if the Jets will be around in 20 years.

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

the world's 50 most valuable sports franchises.

17. San Francisco Giants, $2.85 billion, (MLB)

17. Chicago Bears, $2.85 billion, (NFL)

19. Boston Red Sox, $2.8 billion, (MLB)

19. Houston Texans, $2.8 billion, (NFL)

21. New York Jets, $2.75 billion, (NFL)

22. Philadelphia Eagles, $2.65 billion, (NFL)

23. Chicago Bulls, $2.6 billion, (NBA)

23. Denver Broncos, $2.6 billion, (NFL)

25. Miami Dolphins, $2.575 billion, (NFL)

3. barfolomew

What do those stats mean?

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Chris Johnson is already a casual fan.

barfolomew, boozer32, Harpua and 2 others like this.
  5. barfolomew

Haha, that may be.

But I'll tell you what, I like him a lot better than his brother.

Brook! likes this.
  6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am now at a stage where I get mildly irritated by a loss but I really don't care very much, its hard to maintain that level of interest when the product is just so 'meh' (at best)

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There was a stretch or two over the years when I detached from the team but never really cut the cord. I'm at that point again, but this time the scissors might come out.

Royal Tee, boozer32, nycarl and 3 others like this.
  8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I have tried many many times over the years but I like the NFL and cannot bring myself to support someone else though I wish I could - I know I should try to identify a really poor team and start supporting them if I can find something to latch on to (then I don't feel like a bandwagoner but you know anyone is going to have more long term success than this franchise)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

I’ve been watching the Jets since the 70s.
    Still love them...but something’s different.
    Maybe it’s the fact that I’m getting older and don’t get pissed like I did when I was a young buck...whatever.
    One thing that’s really changed is that I don’t care to watch other games at all anymore. After the Jets weekly embarrassment, I’m out. I used to soak up as much football as there was out there, now I couldn’t care less. Is it because the Jets continually suck and there’s no point being invested in the league...maybe. The NFL has a real problem when diehards don’t care about the totality of their product anymore. I don’t think there’s a quick fix either.

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The vast majority of NFL fans are casual fans - they only care on Sunday during game time and then forget it, or they don't really care at all because it's all about fantasy football for them. If the team is good they care more, and if the team is bad they care less, but overall they don't care much either way.

11. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

You say we have a die hard fan base yet every home game is basically an away game

boozer32 and sackexchange like this.
  12. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I’m already to the point of being much less of a die-hard than I used to. Haven’t gotten to point of following another team but I definitely don’t get to the point of letting Jet games affect my moods.

Life is too short. Why put yourself through the constant torment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I became a casual fan of these bunch a while ago. I do more laughing at them on Sundays than anything else.

They're actually getting fairly close to losing me entirely. Too many better things to do with one's time than watching this perpetual nonsense.

sackexchange likes this.
  14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I haven't gone to a game since 2012.

The stadium is too far to go to a game is a ALL DAY affair. The team hasn't been good for quite a bit so I don't think it's worth the cost in money & time to make it out there.

It used to be cool when we still had training camp at Hofstra then Woody took that away from us.

I wish the team played much closer to home I'd be at as many games as possible in good times or bad.

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Maybe we all need a New York Jets version of Chantix to kick this habit :).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. barfolomew

My family and I used to have season tickets. We had them since I've been born, but when the Jets opened the new stadium and started that PSL shit, my family decided against getting season tickets.

I'm very happy we didn't. There are too many other things to do on the weekends than to commit hours and thousands of dollars to a losing franchise.

17. barfolomew

True, but I think that's begun in the last few years, especially after the switch to Metlife stadium.

The Jets marketing strategy for the new stadium was similar to Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign assumptions. They thought every loss of a blue collar/working class fan (i mean those terms in terms of attitudes, not necessarily in terms of income) would be replaced by attracting a new yuppie/white collar fan. But the stadium isn't nice enough for people to go to just to go for fun and the tickets are somewhat prohibitive for that as well. I think many of the die-hards even those who could afford it chose to opt-out.

I think that's why a lot of games have a disproportionate amount of away fans.

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Does posting on a message board make you more then casual? I guess I can name the starters off the top of my head so that should qualify.

I’d say I’m more on the casual side though, because the losses don’t hit me like they used too. This stretch since the worst of the Rex era has kind of made me detached from the franchise. Still supporting the green and white but the Bills game didn’t get me like it would have years ago.

jets_fan and barfolomew like this.
  19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I watch every Jets game, or as many as i can... but i rarely watch other football games. I think it's a combination of i dislike the way the NFL is going about its blatant move to a high offensive output game, i do like seeing defense, and that i like other sports over nfl right now.

And of course that the Jets get knocked out by week 9 lately.

Peebag likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You guys are late to the party. I've been a casual fan now for quite some time. I think the last time I was passionate about the Jets was the 2010 playoff run and before that, 1998. Since then, I can thank the Jets for helping me develop other interests that provide far more pleasure and reward.
    These days, I usually record the game and depending on the outcome, either watch or delete. 2018 doesn't hold anything of interest to me so I can see doing other things on Sundays weather permitting.

JetsNation06 and Harpua like this.