What is Bill Belichicks deal with hating the Jets so much?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longislandjetfan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Longislandjetfan

Longislandjetfan Active Member

Seriously why does this guy have such a personal hatred for this franchise. I understand we’re division rivals and all that but this guy has some sort of sick personal grudge he can’t seem to get over. Keep in mind he left our team and Screwed us over while still under contract and after Leon Hess just gave him 1 million dollars to be the d coordinator. Plus he was going to be the Head Coach of the team after his unimpressive start in Cleveland it’s not like the organization was trying to destroy the man they were going to give him another chance. Yes we all know the spy gate story also but he had hate even before that I mean this guy was so against his so called close friend Mangini getting a rare and coveted NFL head coaching position. There has to be more to this. Did Woody Johnson do something to this guy or what? Here’s my whacky theory. Belichick did grow up in Maryland and was A Baltimore Colts fan perhaps he still hasn’t gotten over his favorite team as a kid losing to the Jets in Super Bowl III.

boozer32 and twown like this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If I didn't grow up a Jets fan I would hate this franchise and owners guts.

Metstrife, Royal Tee, Noam and 2 others like this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Many facets to the diamond. In Belicheat's case, many facets to the cubic zirconia. Belicheat was actually the HC for the Jets TWICE. Belicheat was named iterim HC while the Jets were trying to pilfer Parcells from the Cheats. If that fell through, Belicheat would be named the official HC. It didn't fall through, he was a little peeved but he stuck around figuring he'd get his chance here again or somewhere else. In May of '99, Hess kicked the pail. Ownership was uncertain and things were unstable and the team was for sale. Testaverde blew out his achilles in what was slated to be another SB run. '99 also blew (speaking of blowing) so in early 2000 Fat Bill does what he does best: he quit (I'll get to that). Woody the rube still hadn't purchased the Jets as of yet, but the Hess family was very vocal they wanted out.

Belicheat had a clause in his contract that if Fat Bill resigned as HC, which he did, Belicheat would become HC. He did. For a day. Parcells was made GM so Belicheat pitched a fit because he felt he would be under Parcells thumb at every turn and would flat out meddle in coaching and every other goddamn thing so he told the Jets to F themselves after stealing a million dollars from a dying old man. Belicheat felt that the Jets completely tooled him so he quit, much to Fat Bill's chagrin (which I don't completely buy). Publicly and officially Krafty Kraft hadn't offered Belicheat the HC job, but when he did, he gave him absolute control as HC/GM. Whether or not Fat Bill actually knew about Belicheat going to NE is up for debate. Now I ain't no conspiracy theorist, but I'm sure there was collusion behind the scenes.

Belicheat's reasons for leaving were: 1) team was for sale, new owners often bring in their own people so his job as HC was tenuous 2) he wanted out from under Parcell's thumb and 3) he felt the Jets tooled him not only once, but twice. In the end it really was about control and revenge. He has unadulterated hatred for the Jets which he doesn't attempt to hide, and consequently cheated into the record books as well as the HOF (which will happen the second he resigns). Scumbag. Not you, him. It's not as if I blame him, but the cheating that followed, he ruined himself in the eyes of many. Not that it matters, least of all to him, because he's a text book narcissist. Most people don't care because people are highly skilled at wearing blinders and glorifying the wrong things for the wrong reasons. I hope I answered your question.

4. jetophile

This can be said for many, but I do hate the current owner. A lot. Hess was a doddering fool who did a lot of things wrong because he wasn't good at anything that had to do with football. He absolutely did care about the fans, though, which is the difference maker. That's why there was a waiting list for season tickets a mile long and every game was ALWAYS sold out. The no shows in very lean years may have given a different impression, but it's a fact: ALWAYS SOLD OUT. Nobody bailed because of the product on the field. Ever. The Jets lost some STHs after the move to The Old Dump, but that was simply due to logistics for some folks. Taking 6 hours out your day driving there and back from Queens/LI ain't no joke. I knew some of them well because we sat near each other for years and they gave up their tickets with a very heavy heart. But wait! They were able to transfer ownership to friends/family!

Woody, on the other hand, is also a doddering fool but with a twist: he doesn't give two shits about the fans, and it is coming back to bite him. Mass defections the past two years, the Jets have resorted to begging people to renew after treating them like dogshit on the bottom of their shoes, and guess what? That waiting list is a thing of the past. There isn't one; and those defections have nothing to do with the product on the field. But wait! You can't transfer ownership to friends/family in non-PSL sections because it was subterfuge in order to get you to buy in! He's an asshole. At least Hess was a lovable asshole. I hope the Jets never sell out another game.

#4 jetophile, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Hess wasn't a doddering fool by any standard. He built an oil empire on clean bathrooms and a cool toy truck that was a great Christmas present.

6. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

How could the Jets have been always a sellout? I remember having to listen to the Jets on the radio growing up in the 70's because they were blacked out locally. Are my childhood memories faulty?

7. jetophile

Haha. Hess stations are pretty much a thing of the past now. The ones around me were all bought out by Speedway. In fact, I think they all were. No more glasses, no more trucks. Oh, well. The old man's nephew's first job was working for Hess before the acquisition. He's an IT guy. He was treated very well, got to work from home a lot, and all of his co-workers in the office were a happy bunch. They handed out a lot perks like extended maternity leave, four day work weeks if ill without docking sick days, stuff like that. Woody Johnson would say hey, give birth in the woods and get back to the farm and harvest wheat in one day or you're fired!

8. jetophile

Often blacked out due to poor attendance, but always sold out.

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The old blackout rules did not require home games that had at least 85% of the seats sold (it didn't have to be a sellout, in fact) to be broadcast locally, they only permitted it (road games, on the other hand, were required to be broadcast). If NBC or especially CBS (when it was an NFC team visiting Shea) didn't want to broadcast the game locally they didn't have to, and they wouldn't if the opposing team stunk and there was a better game available in the other time slot (they couldn't broadcast a game against the Jets home game, but could broadcast a game in the 4:00 slot on a non-doubleheader week instead). Starting in the 1980s they decided they'd get better ratings for the Jets game in the 1:00 slot than a random game in the 4:00 slot and always broadcast the games locally, no matter how bad the team was (same thing for the Giants and CBS).

10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Moronic fan base, idiot coach who ran his mouth Rex Ryan, and the players who run their mouths in the media and can't back it up on the field. That's the short version.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

and whats the deal with airline food, am I right?

Harpua, stinkyB, twown and 3 others like this.
  12. All of the petty reasons to hate this organization couldve been avoided by simply not signing to come here & not cheating against us when he KNEW that the Jets were onto his tactics.

And if he really wanted to make a point? How bout not keeping the 1M signing bonus after he resigned? Surely someone as self righteous & bold didnt need the jets “dirty” money.

The guy is a jerk & a fraud.Hes played a large part in this franchises demise. Whats sad is 15 years ago Jet fans gave a damn.They told the cheats & their fans where to stick it. Its like none of us have any fight anymore & just accept being Bill’s personal door mat.

Foolishly i hold on to a glimmer of hope that somehow someway we’ll have our revenge. But that doesnt seem realistic

BrowningNagle and FJF like this.
  13. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

He lets us won this game so we get a worse draft pick

Taps

14. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

We gain nothing by winning this game. Proves nothing

Taps

15. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

LOL, holy shit...

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I thought he hated EVERYTHING?

Ralebird likes this.
  17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

The Two Bills 30 for 30 is pretty telling. Great watch.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! This is exactly why I could never understand why so many Jets fans hated BB for leaving the Jets and going to the Pats. The Jets did screw him, not once, but twice. Parcells screwed him by taking the GM job. BB and Parcells had a tenuous relationship anyway. I've read that there was some tension between them even dating back to their time with the Giants. Why should BB want to work for/with Parcells again? Also, if Parcells had never accepted the Jets job, it would have been BB's all along. If they were close, why would Parcells have taken a job that belonged to a friend and trusted coordinator?

In addition, I believe that he met Woody and quickly realized what a clueless tool Woody is and how he (Woody) would meddle. I can easily understand why Jets fans hate him now, but not back then. Heck, at present, some days I hate the Jets.

This all also points to part of why I despise Parcells so much. He was a selfish asshole who never intended to stay long term. He screwed over BB and the fans by taking the HC job knowing he wouldn't stay over a few years. Next he screwed us over by not committing to take Peyton Manning, and caused us to miss out on one of the all-time great QBs, and probably several SB rings. Then he screwed us over by not having a competent backup to Vinny, then pouted like a little baby for 6 or more games, before pulling his head out of his ass, benching Mirer, and started coaching again. He also screwed BB and us fans over again in staying on as GM. I think he did it just to tweak BB and perhaps knew that BB wouldn't stay and tolerate that situation. Then, as if he hadn't already screwed us enough, once BB was gone he screwed us over yet again recommending Terry Bradway as GM and Groh as HC. Fuck Parcells. Enough bad stuff can't happen to that SOB to make me happy.

#18 NCJetsfan, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Biggs likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Hess WAS a doddering fool when it came to football. Who gives a shit that he built an oil empire?

20. NCJetsfan

What? Sorry, my friend, but this post makes little sense to me. We'll definitely have to agree to disagree on this one because our viewpoints are diametrically opposed.

BB signed to become HC in good faith and was shafted, not once, but twice. He even got over that and was willing to stay after BP resigned, but then BP decided to remain as GM, old man Hess died, and he saw what a clueless moron Woody is.

The cheating thing makes no sense, either. He was probably arrogant enough to think that he could get away with it without being detected, or if Mangini did detect it, wouldn't report him because of their relationship.

Why in the world would he NOT keep the $1 million signing bonus? The team had screwed him over twice. He deserved that $1 million and earned it putting up with old man Hess and BP.

I agree that BB is a jerk, but he's no fraud. He wouldn't have won so many games if he didn't know what he was doing. BP wouldn't have won nearly as many games if BB hadn't been his DC.

BB had no more to do with this franchise's demise than any other HC in the NFL. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. That's as silly as some fans blaming Jets fans for the franchise's demise. The Jets' demise is due to one thing and one thing only...its owners. It has been all downhill since old man Hess bought controlling interest in the team from Sonny Werblin et al. Hess is the main culprit. Woody Johnson has just continued to the stupidity.