The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not very often that we disagree, but I do in this case, albeit respectfully. IMO that's why you have an OC and QB Coach. IMO the most important aspects the HC of a young team needs are being a great teacher, discipline, patience, being able to put his players in position to succeed, being flexible, and giving stability to the team and organization. Being able to groom a QB is way down the list imo.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't believe in John Harbaugh. At the same time, he has done the best he can with what he is given. The difference between the two brothers is one John will stay content with what he is given and will try to make the most of it. Jim will not, he demands specific things but is innovative enough to make the most of what is given as well.

John hasn't really had a good team since 2012, not like his earlier teams anyway, and had rode the Flacco train the majority of the way.

Now, your opinion of Flacco could be much different than mine, but personally, I don't think Flacco has any success with the majority of the teams in the league.

I realize there is a positive within all that. John has the ability to make the most out of what he has but since 2012, even that has its limits.

Settling is what we do as Jets fans. I would love someone like Jim Harbaugh who would come on and be direct, would demand the goods, and wouldn't settle for average.

Arians, I think he would be awesome for Darnold. I'm not sure he's an amazing overall HC though. I wouldn't be completely against it but I do have reservations. I can't see it happening because of the Bowles scenario anyway.

Yes, the latter are definitely more concerning. Without question.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'll assume the Harbaughs' aren't coming here (Jim def not and John most likely not either).

So with this in mind I'll rank them:

-Carmichael
    -LaFleur
    -Toub
    -Campbell
    -DeFilippo - Vikings offense has been underwhelming this season under his watch when they basically returned everyone and added Cousins.

All are pretty solid candidates that just need a shot at a head job.

4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

As far as non-former HC candidates go, Pete Carmichael is at the top of my list.

Since '06, he's worked his way up in the Saints' organization from QB coach to OC, so he'll have some idea of what he's looking for in his hires. He's also likely learned a lot from Payton, too, which can't hurt. Couple him with some veteran staff -- most importantly a GM/FO that's willing to stock the requisite talent (how about an OLine?!?!) for his scheme -- and maybe the Jets will be cooking next year.

But, in all likelihood, he'd probably turn down an interview (as he has in the past). If he turned down Chicago, he might do the same for New York. (He is a Mass native, so he might be gunning for the next Pat's opening. But that's purely speculation.) In any event, it's more likely than not that we get another year of Bowles because, you know, it's the Jets.

5. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Didn't DeFilippo already turn us down for an interview? To be our OC I believe. Well hopefully he accepts the HC interview. He'll definitely be offered one.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Its worth a shot

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I totally understand your thought regarding John Harbaugh, and I don't disagree. His record since the Super Bowl is 42-43. The thing is, however, he is a solid, experienced HC. He would have the team prepared to play each week, have them playing smart, tough, disciplined football, and since he is respected, would probably be able to hire good coordinators. He would be a steady, patient hand with our young team, but I think would help develop the young players. I could be wrong, but I think he would be better for the team than any of the novice OCs out there, and infinitely better than the Taylors.

I don't think Flacco is special at all. I think Darnold has the potential to be a lot better than Flacco can dream of being. With a superior QB, John might be good enough to get us where we want and need to be. We've all seen time after time what novice HCs produce here...disappointment and failure. I wouldn't trust any of the "hot" young OCs to be any better.

Most posters here would prefer De Filippo. What's he done? He didn't seem to help Sanchez very much when he was here before (but perhaps no one could). He doesn't have that much experience, and in spite of being a preseason favorite, the Vikings aren't doing great things under him. If he has true potential, I think he needs several more years to develop it before he's ready to be a HC.

Without question, I'd rather have Jim than John, but Jim may not leave Michigan or even if he is willing to leave, may not want to work for the Johnsons. I definitely think the Jets should contact him to ascertain his interest (or lack thereof), and if he shows any interest at all court him big time. The thing is if they go after Jim, and he turns them down, I don't think they could then pursue John.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Question...What type of offense do the Saints run? Is it a WCO-type offense, or more of downfield passing attack? If it's the latter, and he insists on keeping that system, that will delay Sam's development having to learn a new system. Also, don't the Saints run a 4-3 D? Would he insist on that? I like his experience and opportunity to learn from Payton. I'm just concerned about the answers to those questions, but he definitely should be interviewed (if willing), and I think I would prefer him over any of the hot young OCs.

9. NCJetsfan

Since Campbell is on your list (is that the Iowa St. HC?), I'm guessing you have no problems with hiring a collegiate HC who has no NFL experience. If so, why no love for Chris Peterson? He has a lot more experience and is a very creative offensive mind.

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

The Saints run a type of WCO. So there's tons of the underneath and quick hits. Still, they take deep shots so often, you'd think it was more vertical. Here's a link if you're interested:

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/4/21/5636282/a-glimpse-into-the-sean-payton-offense

About the defense, I'd assume they'd want to run a 4-3? But I don't know what Carmichael would want, but DeMario Davis seems to be working out fine in their scheme!

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

John Harbaugh (Jim's not coming here)...... Although Biggs' suggestion of Scott Frost is a bit intriguing.

12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Tons of rumors and coaches to look at. A few that I can think of. Wondering what people think:

A. Whisenhunt: Haven't heard his name mentioned. He's an intersting guy. Did really well in Arizona. Went to the Super Bowl with them. Did well in Arizona. Not so well in Tennesse but is now the the Chargers as OC and is doing well. Not sure if he is the right guy but I do like his resume. Is 62 still young but is older.

B. LaFleur: OC Tennesse. I like his background and resume. That being said the offense in Tennessee is up and down. Could be on Mariotta and his injuries. Not really sure but a good possibility.

C. DeFilipo: OC with the Vikings. Was great with Wents with the Eagles. Doing well with the Vikings. Seems to have everything we are looking for.

D. Nick Sirianni: Colts oc: Is a Reich guy. Maybe Reich deserves more credit that Sirianni but their offense looks good and the calls are spot on. Would like to do more research but maybe over the last month of the season he'll be recognized. We should've hired Reich four years ago.

I know there are more names but four names that intrigue me. Lafleur and Defilipo have been mentioned. Haven't heard Whisenhunt or Sirianni before but people who should be considered.

Also I have to find out more about Zac Taylor OC with the Rams and Eric Bienemy and Dave Taub special teams with the Chiefs. I don't think we go for Taub but was mentioned in the last HC job and we missed on a ST coordinator and should've hired Westoff at one point.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I've seen his name floated around this place and others, but other than being young, what does that Titans OC have that makes him a worthy candidate for this or any HC job?

14. BrowningNagle

Wow- I was just gonna come on here and throw out the name Sirianni and then saw that you already did. Good work. The Colts offense is innovative. Frank Reich is going to be a great Head Coach and Sirianni has been Reich's right hand man for years. He is going to be a head coach someday. This might be a little early, but its a little early for a lot of the coordinator names being thrown around.

- I like your suggestion of Whisenhunt as well. I would prefer a guy who has been a HC in this league. Also, he is only 56, not 62. So even better. The benefit of hiring a guy like him vs. some young hot shot coordinator is that he would bring in better assistants. Guys who have been in the league longer have stronger relationships. Whisenhunt for example has a strong relationship with Todd Haley. Some folks dont' want Haley as HC but maybe he comes with his buddy Whisenhunt as OC... just an example of why "retreads" have advantages.

--Another guy not mentioned that I think merits consideration- Falcons OC Steve Sarkisian. At one point in time he WAS the fancy college name. The alcoholism that took him from the peak in college is behind him now and he's done a good job as OC in ATL. He has strong relationships in college and in NFL. Also- it was Sarkisian who recruited Sam Darnold to USC noting that they were blown away by his talent

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yes Campbell is Iowa St and if you get a chance watch them play this year. They were a downtrodden program for a few years before he arrived and since he got there he's imprinted his dynamic style of play on their program. I actually do like Peterson a lot since his Boise days. I've heard in the past that he has turned down NFL interest to stay in college and preferably out in the Western US. He just strikes me as the type that wants to stay in college and kind of out of the big media glare/spotlight. But if he's interested I would definitely pursue him. Now that we've mentioned some college names, there's got to be a few other innovative college guys out there that may be worth giving an interview too. I think the list the OP provided is pretty good tho. A lot of talented names on it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He made the team 3 years in a row and had a 5 year NFL career. He never played a down on D before getting drafted. Who said he was a good player. He's smart and has the background on both sides of the ball and his teams compete even when they don't have the best talent in the conference.

You have to separate recruiting from coaching at the college level. Riley in his one big moment shit the bed against Georgia.

17. BrowningNagle

When was the last time a guy made the jump straight from college to the NFL and did well? Jim Harbaugh??? even he is a little different story considering he played in the league so long and his brother was an NFL coach. Besides him do you have to go back to like Jimmy Johnson?

I know the game has changed a lot and I actually think it's more suited for a college coach to have success than in previous eras but some of these guys are still green even for the college level

NYJetsO12, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree. Sirianni seems young but so was McVay. Maybe he's not the choice but if the Jets do their due diligence he'd get an interview. Probably a year or two away but if he knocks it out of the park in the interview it could work.

Always liked Whisenhunt and think he is a good head coach. Not sure what happened in Tennesse and I like that you mention he can bring in someone who has a proven record of being successful but he'll have enough power to squash their ego. Sorry about the age thing. Yes 56 is much better than 62. Plus I think Whisenhunt played for us so that is a plus too.

I'm not opposed to Sarkisian but he does make me nervous. Every time he seems to be given the lead something goes wrong. Might be a guy who is good with being a coordinator.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The two greatest offensive innovators in the modern NFL Bill Walsh and Hank Stram off the top of my head.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We shouldn't let this stop us from hiring the right guy for this team. If his system is good then Sam will thrive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.