$100mil cure?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Good article today. Taken from today's NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2018/11/13/why-100-million-alone-wont-buy-jets-a-turnaround-next-year/

Upside is if Macc's spending spree results in the same mediocre production, he's gone. Perhaps one year too late but 2019 makes or breaks Magic Mike.

Hope for the best... Plan for the worse...

Attached Files:

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

. . . aaaannnddd the hits just keep coming

3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

It's funny because the NHL and NFL have the exact same free agency age. The major difference is that NHL players are usually in their primes at that age while NFL players are on the downswing. For those who aren't, teams usually find a way to keep them around.

4. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

I have a problem with the following line " Free agents are free agents for a reason. Their former teams decided they were not worth the investment for some reason. Sometimes it’s age, sometimes it’s health or a drop in production."
    The other reason a player is a free agent is they don't wish to sign with team or perhaps the team has a bad cap situation and cannot find a way to pay the player what they are worth. It's disingenuous to state that the only reason a player becomes a free agent is their statement. The other point is that he is attempting to evaluate a player on a multi year contract on the basis of 10-11 games. It's the same issue everyone has evaluating a rookie and declaring them a bust or a franchise player after half a season. Can we watch for a little longer before making such a definitive statement?

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's the NFL salary cap, that's what separates the NFL from other sports. sometimes teams cna't aford to keep all their good players and have to make tough choices

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cos is right, you can't fix your team in Free Agency, but with the Jets it is a little different. The players they sign will truly be UPGRADES over the terrible roster they currently have. So if you sign a Lineman, he may not live up to the money you give him, but he will surely do better than what they have right now. Same with RB, WR, etc. So fans should be at least slightly excited for the 2019 Jets. They will be much better than the 2018 Jets. Is that good enough to compete for a playoff spot? Time will tell, but they should at least be watchable, which is a big upgrade.

GasedAndConfused and CotcheryFan like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

fixing a team requires the use of every resource out there which includes trades, free agency, the draft, and retaining talent. You cna't fix a team in free agency i agree but that is 1 part of the equation and we do have a very young team. Theyoung guys will improve and get better hopefully and i really like what i've seen out of cannon, maguire, adams, maye, anderson, darnold, etc. and darnold if he reaches his potential can make up for a lot of holes the way brady, rodgers etc do

BrickcityJet and mrjet80 like this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

In light of the last couple of games - which have been very depressing - I still see this team being a playoff contender as early as next year. It has happened with the right moves - the Rams, Eagles, even the Colts have picked things up this year. All of these teams picked the right coach, added some pieces, and became immediate contenders . The Jets have their QB. Do not get sucked into the same ole Jets stuff in regards to Darnold - he is gonna be a very good QB. His stats may not show it but he is showing a level of maturity that is very rare among 21/22 yr old QBs....one example was the Dolphins game with that snap that went over his head. Rather than panic and try to dive on the ball or make a really stupid throw he simply picked it up ran out of the pocket and threw the ball away. No biggie - live to see another down. You guys know Sanchez would have made a bigger mess of that play. The man need protection and weapons. he is basically playing with a second string offense.

It's a given Bowles is a goner. I think the Jets are going to go with an offensive minded coach as this is a copycat league. There are a lot of bright minds out there. Too many to dissect in a single post. So assuming the Jets get the right coach or at least a very good coach in place the next goal is FA. The Jets have close to $100 million in cap space. they HAVE to spend a lot of it they cannot sit on their hands. Mac is gonna swing hard for LeVeon Bell. It has been suggested the Jets may have to overpay. While that may not be a good move for most teams at this time it will be for the Jets. #1 they need his services - he's had a whole year to rest his body, he's still young, and a front loaded deal would give him a very solid 3-4 years for this redesigned offense. And keep in mind the money HAS to be spent regardless. Next on the list is a pass rusher/OLB. Mac should have several to choose from, Dante Fowler comes to mind. I also think Mac should be able to land an interior lineman either a guard or a center. Throw in a few more lesser pieces - the usual depth signings. He'll look to resign Enunwa. Then in the draft I would look for Mac to really start swinging at the offense - fortifying the OL, adding a WR or two, and maybe even another pass rusher.....this team is going to look a lot different next year.

egelband and FJF like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even though there are a LOT of great to good prospective HC candidates out there, what makes you think the Johnsons will pick the right one? There may be 7-8 great choices and one bad one, and either because the best ones wouldn't want to work for the Johnsons or the Johnsons would pick the wrong one, the odds are they'll get it wrong again. I have zero confidence or faith in their ability to make even one good decision.

Yes, Darnold can become a very good QB if he doesn't get ruined by a crappy CS or running for his life every time he drops back to pass. If Mac is still the GM, I have little confidence that the team will get significantly better. It probably will only be marginally better, and could even get worse if several of this year's picks don't develop and he blows his 3rd round picks next year.

Bell may not even be a FA because he hasn't reported to the Steelers yet, hasn't informed them if/when he will report, and they've already said that he probably would not play this season. Unless there's some loophole, the Steelers would still own his rights next season and Mac would have to trade for him, and the Steelers won't give him away.

egelband and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. mrjet80

You make valid points. And anything is possible.....I just hope for the best.

egelband and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

May your hopes come true! I don't mean to be a downer. I guess I've switched completely back to the dark side where I was about 10 years ago.

egelband likes this.
  12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Free agency is a tool for a team to get where they want if used properly.

The Jets found some core players (Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, Vinny Testaverde, Bryan Cox) in 1998 that became cornerstone players for them from 1998-early 2000s.

The Giants found some core players in free agency 2005 (Plaxico Burress, Kareem Mckenzie, Antonio Pierce) that became cornerstone players on the team that knocked off the 2007 Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Thing is difference makers like that aren't available every offseason just like there's not great talent available in every draft.

It's up to the GM to evaluate the players available then spend or not spend the money wisely.

Jets81 and mrjet80 like this.
  13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

There's very little talent on this team. They need to get 2 OL, a #1 WR and a decent edge rusher just to be competitive.
    This rebuild will take at least 2 to 3 years.

14. mrjet80

I really can't blame you...it's been a rough 3 weeks and it's times like these that you really begin to have doubts. The one thing I'm holding onto is the ability of Darnold and for Mac it's the trade he put together that enabled us to grab Darnold along with his little finds here and there. The Jets have had worse GMs but he has to improve his later round drafting or find better scouts. He will survive this season but not necessarily the next offseason if things don't go right in the next six months......

15. mrjet80

This is spot on - a lot of people forget about the Jets 1998 FA finds - other than Martin. This would be the right FA season for the Jets in regards to their needs...i.e. pass rusher, RB, etc. It comes down to if the player actually wants to play for the Jets.....the money is there.

16. mrjet80

I wouldn't say very little - but there are a lot of holes. It may not take 3 years if the right buttons are pushed this offseason including the right coach. The right coach can get more out of the likes of players such as McGuire, Anderson, Shell, Jenkins, Lee...etc. along with the drafting of better players to plug in alongside those players. Sometimes the talent is there but the coaching is so horrible it's hard to tell.....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Bell would be a FA unless Steelers Franchise him ( 3rd time would cost 25MM) or they could transition tag him which MIGHT give them some sort of comp if a team wanted to just grab him via trade and sign extension but I doubt the Steelers would do that because they want no part of teh whole situation a this point.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The Islanders were mis managed for decades --now they bring in one of the most competent GMs ever and a very good HC and even with hardly any talent they are getting coached up and winning = is anyone paying attention at Florham Park ? Get rid of Mac bring in a competent GM and coach BEFORE these clowns make any more of a mess out of things !!!!

JetsNation06 and LAJet like this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You do realize the Eagles and the colts both have exactly 1 win more than the Jets. With all the injuries and a rookie QB.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Mac doesn't deserve to finish his rebuilding plan. He's had 4 drafts which is more than ample time to rebuild this roster and he's failed miserably. It will be more of the same this offseason with his poor drafting continuing the cycle of a shorthanded roster built on overpriced FA signings which will most likely not end well. Time to clean house and get a real FO.