General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Heres the Thing,,,,,the Movie was really really good = BUT---------> if anyone was a Big Queen fan or knows the real story you will see that the movie IS NOT true to life. I do not want to ruin it for anyone as I said the movie was really good but just go fact check stuff afterwards if you are not sure what I am talking about. Rami Malek and ALL the actors were excellent

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Don’t get to the theatre much so I generally catch up on movies on planes.

Tag — great concept that a lot could be done with but the movie is simply formulaic filmmaking at its worst. And if you are going to make a movie with Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner and Isla Fisher, do not show video of the real guys at the end revealing them to be 70 year olds just messing around.

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom — I didn’t like the first Jurassic World, and the only good Jurassic movie was the first one, so this is a franchise really just leveraging the goodwill of one good movie from 25 years ago. That being said I was conflicted about this one; it’s a terrible movie and probably the worst of them all, but watching it I couldn’t help but feel they weren’t even trying to make a good or even sensible movie. This was clearly intended to be just ridiculous and nonsensical — the very opposite of the book the entire franchise is built on. If you aren’t trying to make a good movie can I really criticize the film for being what it’s trying to be?

Solo — after The Last Jedi I lost all interest in new Star Wars, but out of sheer compulsion I figured I’d watch it on my flight because I assumed TLJ was as bad as a Star Wars film could get. Boy, was I wrong. This movie is a horrible as any movie could be. I watched it immediately after Fallen Kingdom, and was amazed that this film was worse that Fallen Kingdom which wasn’t even trying to be good. Episode IX won’t save the brand; kids aren’t engaged in it, my age group is dropping like flies from it, and Solo was simply the final piece of evidence that the franchise and brand truly has nothing interesting about it beyond the original movies. I can’t help but think how much of a bath Disney is going to take on Star Wars land.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Nice. I think I will see it this week. Don't know much about Queen, but hopefully I will enjoy it.

So you are still looking for a good movie to watch I guess.....:D

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I saw 'Double Indemnity' the other night with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck and I forgot how great it is. Femme fatale, idiot insurance salesman, every film noir trope there is. The seedy parts of LA; but I had to divorce myself from memories of Fred MacMurray in 'My Three Sons' when he garroted his mistress' husband from the back seat of a car . . . because all I kept hearing was the 'My Three Sons' theme song and I was expecting Uncle Charley to show up with a broom or something and bitch at everyone.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

fyp : )

on-topic: Morgan a Suitable Case of Treatment. Quirky 60's piece.

6. JetBlue

Pretty much.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Bohemian Rhasody was amazing. Critics failed here again and now Rotten Tomatoes has the film fresh.

CinemaScore has a audience score of an A.

Movie is so emotional and powerful and that ending is straighr epic...Easy oscar nomination for best actor for Rami here

8. jetophile

Bub was the grandfather . . . but Uncle Charley did sometimes sweep in his apron . . . and bitch.

joe likes this.
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Ah, didn't know that - thx.

10. jetophile

Yeah, I did do a quick search and it seems one of the main complaints other than some minor factual errors is that it way toned down the gay on Mercury so it wasn't a 'realistic' portrayal. I guess people thought it was going to me more of a BIOPIC biopic, so that's why it was getting shot down. Queen fans for the most part adored it because they're a die-hard crazy bunch and will watch/see anything Queen. A boatload of critics said it was formulaic and didn't do Mercury justice. I'm sure it's somewhere in the middle.

11. jetophile

I'm glad your life has been enriched, lol. I'm a limitless fount of useless information.

12. jetophile

I hope Rami Malek goes get an Oscar nod as well (although I haven't seen it yet). He didn't have it easy in grade school because he was Egyptian-American and other kids made fun of the ethnic food his Mom made him for lunch, he got razzed and picked on for being "different" (although it did eventually go away). I always have a soft spot for stuff like that. His family left Egypt due to persecution for being Coptic Christians, and Copts don't have it easy over there. He's such an interesting looking dude, too. He's going places. Wait, he arrived.

EDIT & P.S: Martin Scorsese absolutely detests 'Rotten Tomatoes'. It's a very valid opinion. I'll try to find it.

EDIT & P.P.S.: I found one link at least, but he has talked about it at length: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...why-mother-was-misjudged-guest-column-1047286

#92 jetophile, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  13. The Dark Knight

I get the negative reviews. The critics are just grading based on it's film quality alone. It is a tough film to explain. If you grade it on the experience you have, I think they did a good job. I had fun. Agreed Rami was amazing as Freddie. The story though? Generic. There wasn't any film structure. Basically went scene to scene, skipping years at a time, to show highlights of Queen. Felt like the Cliffs Notes version of the band. Overall, I enjoyed it, but as an experience. My problem with Rotten Tomatoes is they grade on a Fresh or Rotten scale. I am not sure how you see Bohemian Rhapsody and call it Rotten, but 40% of reviewers did.

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

If you have a chance to see Free Solo, which is a documentary about Alex Hohnhold being the first person to free solo climb (no rope) El Capitan, I highly recommend it. The cinematography is top notch and the filmmakers did a great job expressing the human elements of such a mind-blowing achievement.

15. The Dark Knight

Saw The Girl in the Spider's Web today. It's like a watered down James Bond movie with 0 depth and the trailer literally showed the whole movie. It's not bad, if you just wanna watch an action movie and go home. It is pretty generic and by the book. Nothing like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie from a few years ago. I never saw the foreign originals, but someone told me they were good. I might check them out.

CBG likes this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this goes here but....................

AVENGERS HYPE IS REAL :D:D:D:D Trailer leaked earlier today.

17. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

The trailer was good, but not to the level of infinity war hype (at least trailer wise, I cannot wait for this movie). It was a wonderful trailer as it gave away nothing, but everyone is happy since we just needed the damn NAME of the movie and we finally got it.

JetBlue and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

"We're in the EndGame, now." -Doctor Strange

Can't wait!

101GangGreen101 and JetBlue like this.
  19. JetBlue

This is the first Marvel movie I’ve truly been excited for.

20. jetophile

'Gods and Monsters' with Ian McKellen, Brendan Fraser, and Lynn Redgrave. Excellent film, and Fraser does a great dramatic turn. He is that good in it, and Ian McKellen's performance defies words. Anyone who hasn't seen it, put it on your list. Anyone who has seen it and knows me also knows precisely why I loved it. Here's a hint:

[​IMG]

GO JETS!!!! If you know James Whale's films like I do, the references will really resonate. Just a head's up: it's a very sad movie. That's not a good reason to pass it up.