Welcome New Jets Fans! - Introduce yo self

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Sep 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jetsfansince2015

LMAO @jetophile ... see you also have that sharp and witty mouth that she does! Wonder why lol.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Hei...terva. Mita kuuluu? Tervetuloa! <--people in Alabama would think I'm referring to a QB (and that's a really bad joke on my part, ref. to Tua Tagovailoa).

I don't normally read this thread and just came across your post today. As for 'Suomi' have spent a number of dream-like summers there. Stayed off the southern coast of Finland on an island (south of Lovissa and approx. 20 mi. west of Kotka); the first time there was to play at the Maritime Festival in Kotka (loud rock, locals liked; locals also liked their akvavit. : )

Very chill compound of 3 red cottages by the water ascending up a small bluff......taking sauna ('lollii' steam, birch branches 'whack!'), midnight swims, salmon, pickled herring, new potatoes, dill, dill and more dill, picking the sweetest of blueberries and strawberries....and Karhu beer ('kippis!')......Suomi: minum rakastan sinua.....and minum kaunis suomalainen kunningitar. (lol-as you can see, my 'suomea' is really bad). Anyway, your "kultani" played QB in a woman's league? You rock dude.

Take care. Go Jets! Näkemiin.

#482 joe, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    stinkyB, nyjetsmets89, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.
  4. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Haha :D That's amazing! We sure do like our loud rock don't we. And our alcohol to be honest with you :D We actually won the Eurovision Song Contest with a hard rock band some years ago. That year all of Europe fell in love with rock. The band was "Lordi", they performed in their monster costums and all, check it out if that's something you'd might like ( ).
    That sounds like a traditional Finnish summer vacation at the summer cottage by the lake, our cities gets empty at the time of the mid-summer festivals, everyone just goes to their cottages.. Did you know that Karhu translates to Bear in English? (btw, that is the best beer we have) So it's Bear-Beer.
    And yes, my girlfriend in fact played QB back in the day. They reached to the Bowl game one season, but unfortunately lost that. But still, quite the accomplishment.

And what comes to your Suomi, I understood everything you wrote, so it's not that bad. Spelling though, that's other matter completely :D

Brook! likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Haha, good stuff Lordi. . Here's a twisted little 'monster costume' band GWAR covering AC/DC and featuring Donald J. Trump.

They weren't exactly "mom & pop - fun for the whole family" with their lyrics back in the day and while they're now just a watered-down version of their old selves they're still a bit of a goof all the same.:D

"I met her down at the donkey show, she was minutes past 13,
    sucking on a cherry Yoo-Hoo, reading 'Nougats' magazine,
    cum stained-spattered tube top, scrawny prepubescent tits,
    I looked down and saw that 'I was workin' out' on a quadriplegic chick"
    Song: "Rock & Roll Never Felt So Good"

^^^ they don't write love songs like that anymore....:D

As for Karhu, yes I was told it meant bear beer (the 'bear' label as well)....looked like some Russian beer label the first time I saw it. . Another popular (lighter) beer over there was Lapin Kulta which my friends there referred to as "beer for girls." :D

#485 joe, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    FinnishJET and Brook! like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Welcome! It's strange where life takes us. I lived "up the road" from Sleepy Hollow in Yorktown from 1962 - 96 before moving out to Colorado. Went over 2000 miles but couldn't shake the Jets. I sort of used to follow the Broncos as my "second team" when I lived in NY, but soon after moving here and being inundate with Broncomania, I renounced them and continued rooting for the Jets. I was soooo happy last Sunday when they thrashed Denver!

Anyway, enjoy Sleepy Hollow and the surrounding area which is wonderful - especially this time of year! And if you get a chance to take a "Sunday Drive" (when the Jets aren't playing of course) drive up Rt. 9 through Bear Mountain, Cold Spring and on up to Hyde Park where teh Roosevelt and Vanderbilt mansions are - it's a beautiful drive and much to see.

7. NCJetsfan

The Rhinebeck area is incredible as well.

8. Jetsfansince2015

From NY to CO is quite the change. But I hear upstate NY is beautiful country. My brother is currently stationed @ Fort Carson, CO with the Army. Its really nice up there.
    My first assignment in the Air Force was in “Bend over” Dover, DE from 2007-2010. First time ever to experience the North East. For me personally it was a very solemn and powerful experience. To be around an area where you only read in your history books of how we became an independent nation and all of the historic richness. I took my mom and older sister to NYC and later to upstate NY to Palmyra where the history of Mormonism began. Insane experience!
    If it was so dang cold there I’d move up there in a heartbeat.

9. Eric vanleuvan

Eric vanleuvan New Member

Hey Everyone new Member just wanted to say hello :)
    I have been a fan for over 35 years and have dealt with
    the heartache and somewhat high points of being a fan.
    I hope we can all enjoy the next 10-15 years with Sam.
    #JETUP

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Welcome. Enjoy the site.

Eric vanleuvan likes this.
  11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'Somewhat high points'. This guy gets it.

NCJetsfan and Eric vanleuvan like this.
  12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

@Jetsfansince2015 @jetophile

and @ColoradoContrails (since you're were a yorktown cornhusker) :)

If you have a 'spooky tooth' (not the band mind you-haha) here's an option: . the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery--I'm not kidding; even in the middle of the day, driving around the tight, narrow roads that meander around rawd iron railings and gravestones there's a ghoulish 'land-of-the-spirits' vibe to it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the southern tip of the cemetery is the Old Dutch Church that jetophile referenced with many of the gravestones there pre-Revolutionary War and even dating back into the 1600's.
    [​IMG]

At dusk, it gets creepy and to that end they offer tours of the cemetery including....mwahahaaha.....night tours in which your small group is given an old gas lantern and you're led around the hilly pitch black grounds (stopping at various points, e.g. Washington Irving's grave, etc.).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The missus and I combined dinner and a late night tour (would recommend this nearby joint http://www.thecookeryrestaurant.com down the road in Dobbs Ferry) one night for a fun 'date'.....kill some time after dinner with a nice drive up B'way through Irvington and Tarrytown to 'Sleepy' ....

http://thecookeryrestaurant.com/

http://sleepyhollowcemetery.org/events/tours-and-events/

In addition to the regular night 'lantern' tours they have these later "murder" tours that go until 11:30 p.m. and whose subject matter (here's the cool part) is not recommended for those under 18 years of age. : )

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ALOHA..... apparently the "Love of your life" secretly wanted to test your loyalty by dragging you into the JETS ;)

I very casually root for the JAGS (when their success doesnt affect the JETS) as I've lived an hour from JAX since they became a franchise, and many of my friends are ticketholders.... and I'm just happy there's a NFL team in the vicinity.

Speakin of Hawai'i, I generally try to go to the North Shore every other winter to surf... was just there in February.

14. NCJetsfan

Welcome! Hopefully we'll have a lot to cheer for in 2019 and going forward. If Bowles and Mac are still here, however, I doubt it.

Eric vanleuvan likes this.
  15. jetophile

There's a new kid on the block with the handle @3HOLDINGCALLSONONEPLAY. He turned up in the game thread. I like him already. Everyone was beside themselves about that unprecedented idiocy. Seriously, has that EVER happened?! In not only the history of the NFL, but in the history of the GAME?! If anyone is bored read that thread. There are some real gems in there. Another new guy @Leon H.: Rope . . . check . . . stool . . . check . . . see you guys in the afterlife. Hahahaha. Welcome to my world.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. StealthDefense

StealthDefense Active Member

Hello,
    I'm StealthDefense, and I'm A Jets fan. I first took the Green in 89' I was young, I didnt know what I was getting into. But, they were green...and I was like...I like green. I didn't know what they would do to me, to my family. I have tried to stop. Tried to find other "teams" but at the end of the day. I was hooked. I was bleeding green. Now, 30 years later, just as I think, I'm strong enough to walk away, I find myself back here again.

My name is StealthDefense, and I'm a raging Jets fan.

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

What an entrance. :) Welcome to the board my friend. We all suffer together here. :)

18. jetophile

Welcome to @AdamGaseCrazyEyes! Well, you know it's coming so . . .

19. StealthDefense

StealthDefense Active Member

Thank you, looking forward to contributing. For man many years this board have been a source of entertainment, as well as psychological repair during many a season.

Brook! likes this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Hooked by the 1989 4 and 12 Jets. The devil got you by the throat Stealth. Welcome aboard the train to football hell. I threw my token away when they ended home blackouts.