#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Excellent post and agree with most of it, except this part. When you have a stud QB, you can afford undisciplined play such as we saw with Johnson and Crowell. I believe Darnold will be a stud for the Jets, but he's not there yet. This team can't afford those dumb-ass penalties right now and it's on Bowles to see to it they don't happen.

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I actually don't like Tomlin. A big part of it was when he sauntered onto the field during the Ravens game when they were returning a kickoff for a touchdown. He just happened to trip the player on their way to the endzone. I also think Tomlin has just been a part of Big Ben's success, and hasn't really added to the team. The Steelers are a machine and Tomlin did nothing to improve it. I suppose you could say he didn't make it worse, but I don't like his style.

That said, there are plenty of coaches who have ridden the QB to success.

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. He came into the league as a DB coach, but for years the Steelers have been atrocious in the secondary for years.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Yup they almost gave him the job before the season. Brady came into camp in great shape and wowed the coaching staff.
    He's not pretty, he's a loose cannon he has a .656 winning percentage as a Head Coach now in his 12th season. He won a SB and has never had a losing season as a Head Coach. You can argue he has had an elite QB with elite talent around him. So has Sean Payton and his winning percentage isn't even close. Andy Reid doesn't have a winning percentage that's close and never won a SB.

HomeoftheJets and westiedog1 like this.
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Here's an allegory about the Jets, and not just about coaching. My husband's nephew was very physically uncooridinated when he was young (couldn't pedal a Big Wheel, was also speech delayed and had a speech impediment when he did start talking, although he did test within normal range for general intelligence). He was very behind by Kindergarten. As part of his therapy, we used to throw him this huge beach ball to get him accustomed to catching/help develop his coordination. 9/10 it would either hit him in the face or bounce off his chest. Not funny, I know; but I'm going somewhere with this. He got better at it, learned how to ride a bike without training wheels, and eventually caught up in all departments and then some at record speed. Turns out he was a math savant (who knew). He's in his 30s now, beautiful house, nice wife, 3 little kids, works as a software developer, and makes bucoup bucks. I'm talking bucoup. The point I'm trying to make is that unfortunately I don't think the Jets will ever be able to get past the beach ball phase.

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

His numbers are great, can't take those away from him. I just wonder if you took him away from the Pittsburgh way, would he do as well? I do not think so, but I also don't think we'll ever find out. Payton went to a team that had never won a Superbowl and got them the trophy. He puts his stamp on the teams offense. Without Payton, they are no where near the team they are now. Without Andy Reid, same thing (as much as I like Reid as a coach, he is missing something to make him elite). What does Tomlin do for the Steelers?

And in that line, what exactly does Todd Bowles do for the Jets? The team is undisicplined, the offense is mediocre (yes, mediocre talent), the defense has been mediocre (arguably above mediocre talent). Time management is poor, 4th down calls are poor, challenges are poor, extra point tries are typically poor (not going for 2). What does he bring to the table other than he wasn't Rex Ryan when we hired him.

I was very happy when we got him, I believe he was considered the second best prospect behind Dan Quinn that year, but he has shown that he doesn't have "it" when it comes to being a head coach.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

You have no Idea if Bowles wanted to play him and reports were that TB wanted to keep teddy and start him.... .

Also, how many coaches has TB hired and fired? Why is the O still a mess under a new OC? Why do they play conservatively? Is it because he doesn't trus his OL or RB
    Why is the DC still there when he should have been fired with the other D coaches?

There is a common denominator and that is TB. His time manage hasn't improved, his team plays undisciplined ball (last three years), there seems to be no accountability for players missing assignments, making boned headed penalties.

The Browns game was a microcosm of his tenure. Inconsistency

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Are you serious? You're actually going to ask what Tomlin does for the Steelers and praise Sean Payton?

Sean Payton has never been a HC without Drew Brees a first round sure lock to go to the HOF as his QB. In spite of that he has had 4 losing seasons. Drew Brees has missed 1 game since Sean Payton became the HC. Sean Payton plays a vast majority of his games inside both at home and on the road.

Todd Bowles took a mediocre Jets team with Ryan Fitzpatrick and won 10 games. I have no doubt if TB was our QB right now we would be either 2 and 1 or 3 and 1. We might have won 2 with McCown?

I think a lot of head coaches win with Rothlisberger and Brees and a ton of them lose with a 21 year old rookie.

Andy Reid is a really good coach. He's solid as a rock. He's been stripped naked in several playoff games but he gets his teams to the playoffs and he knows how to coach QB's.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This really caught my attention:

https://nypost.com/2018/09/28/why-todd-bowles-finally-selected-five-jets-captains/

"“We were still trying to find out who we were the first couple of years,” Bowles told The Post. “I didn’t get to know anybody well enough to make them a captain the first year. The second year and third year I didn’t see anybody stepping up."

I wonder who or what was preventing Bowles from getting to know everyone "well enough"? WTF??? Talk about disconnected and out of touch! If you don't know your players well enough to know who should be a captain, no wonder you don't know how to build and run a successful team. Sure, sometimes "no one steps up", but on a 5-11 team, clearly SOMEONE needs to step up, and as a HC you'd better find at least one guy who do that. How about one of your #1 draft picks or two? You name them, you make it clear they're the leaders, and you back them to the hilt, and if they can't do it, you find someone else. It's not rocket science, it's coaching.

This says all you need to know about Bowles as a HC.

Ralebird and CBG like this.
  10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Or at least seek players out who you think may fit the bill... what a stooge. Just another indication he is clueless.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Exactly! SOMEBODY has to be better as a leader than the rest of them...start there.

12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Hate him

He's thoroughly finished and should be fired tomorrow.

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

14. graig.323

graig.323 Active Member

He should be fired and his ass should be left in Jacksonville. Calling timeouts on that drive before half time???? Does not have a clue. Once again, embarrassing.

15. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

Fuck Todd Bowles

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Bowles should be fired on the plane

18. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

A week and a half off...still clueless and ill prepared.
    GTFO Todd Bowles

19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

the guy really believes that this team can outscore teams and win on defensive touchdowns HA

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I honestly think defensive coordinators are not suitable for head coaching positions in the modern NFL. Of course there are exceptions for the few coaches who adapted after they became a HC, but your average defensive coordinator-turned coach still plays like its 1995. We need an offensive minded coach for once who can groom Darnold and save this franchise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.