Week 3: New York Jets @ Cleveland Browns (TNF)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Sep 16, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

lol

2. jetophile

"Hope is for fools." - Mark Twain

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The reality is none of us know how good Darnold will become. I think that's worthy of optimism. At the end of the day if he's the goods, this team's fortune is going to get better fast. If he isn't it's a dagger in the heart. This game is a game. Two teams in a competition, very little that really separates them. Cleveland has more overall talent, they should, they've had the top 3 pick in every round since Ohio was mostly CT. We have a rookie X factor, could be a plus, could be a minus. They have a big advantage, short week at home. Anything can happen. If Darnold is the real deal at a certain point, this year, next year or in year 3 this team will start stacking wins. When you stack wins you go to playoff games. If you stack enough of them you get home playoff games and if you get those with a little luck you stack SB trophies.

The 55+ years of being a fan means you're invested for life either way. This should be fun.

4. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

5. McAllister

McAllister Active Member

Anybody else hoping to see Crow run wild with a chip on his shoulder in his old stomping grounds?

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This is the only hope I have for tonight (other than a great performance by the defense). If Crowell shows up big back in Cleveland, it’ll take the air out of the stadium and mitigate the overwhelming pass rushers.

I’m usually a fan of coming out firing through the air, but we HAVE to establish a ground game early.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK we both have a tough defense. their offense has been inept though. taylor hans't looked good and mostly just used his legs. passing wise not much. they don't have much at WR at all either. they have a rookie in calloway and higgins. landy may not even play and gorden is traded. It's going to be a defensive struggle. they don't run the ball well either. their rushing yards are inflated by taylor. If we can keep taylor form running with the ball they won't be able to move it very well. but their D is really good so we'll have trouble moving the ball too

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Don't really see how their rushing yards are inflated by Taylor's yards - rushing yards are rushing yards. One of the crushing things last week was how Tannehill had a bunch of important runs against the Jets, and Taylor is WAY better at rushing than Tannehill, so that doesn't bode well as to your point that the Jets need to stop Taylor from running with the ball. I agree that Cleveland's offense is worse than the Jets' offense, but their defense is in my opinion considerably better.

I have to think that Cleveland message boards have very similar threads to this - we're going to lose because we always lose, our offense stinks, our coach stinks, we're doomed, no these are new days, our defense is really good, be optimistic. It would be interesting if we're both right, and it's a new dawn in the NFL, but I just don't see why we (Jets fans) should be so much more optimistic than they (Browns fans) are. If Darnold hits and Mayfield busts of course we win long-term overwhelmingly, but it's too early to say that yet.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

What worries me most is Gregg Williams.
    Williams runs a D philosophy similar to Rex, which is very confusing and full of blitz pressure, making things very difficult on young QB's.

Jets are going to need a strong run game (their ability to do so concerns me), and will need to pass to RB's via screens and underneath routes.
    And of course, protect the football.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Fire him for who?

Woody doesn't pay top dollar for HC or 'hot' assistant coaches.

The team went 5-11 last season it can be said they actually overachieved!!!!! Many people believed 0-16 was a real possibility.

The Miami loss wasn't a firing worthy loss. They got down early, played sloppy, Darnold played like a rookie, they had their chances didn't capitalize hey it happens.

A win tonight the team would be ovetachieving again as not many people had them winning in Detroit especially in the manner in which they won.

11. GasedAndConfused

I think you misunderstood what i meant. What i was saying is they are the 4th best rushing team in the NFL based on yards but it isn't becuase hyde and chubb or the o-line opening huge holes. it's because taylor taking off has inflated that number.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Exactly right and only 3 days to have prepared for it..our inept line might get our QB killed tonight if they don't step up.

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Since the Browns returned to the NFL, teams with a turnover margin of +5 or better in a game are 132-4-1. The Browns are responsible for two of those losses and the tie.

NYJ79 likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The Waterboy likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

It had Skrine getting a pick 6, how reasonable does that seem?

NY Jets68 likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

About as reasonable as the Jets actually racking up around 400+ yards, but I’ll take the final score in a heartbeat.

17. GasedAndConfused

would that be 2 ties now after they tied pitt week 1? browns had 1 turnover (taylor INT) and the steelers had 6 (3 ben INTs, 2 Ben fumbles, 1 connor fumble)

18. The Waterboy

That included the Pitt tie

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Tough decision, Jets gotta punch them in the mouth first. 21-17 Jets ...

20. jetophile

If he Jets lose tonight, drop the puck.