Sam Darnold, Jamal Adams & Leonard Williams.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No way I want to break the bank for Bell next season... that $ can be better spent somewhere else .

NCJetsfan, Jets69, themorey and 5 others like this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nothing great happens till Bowles is gone. He is just no talented enough to win in this league.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

HomeoftheJets and tubby like this.
  4. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Next year Pro Free Agency and Draft are about OL and edge rusher at 1A and 1B, followed by adding necessary skill positions around Darnold. Breaking the bank for a RB is D-U-M-B, particularly one who is on record as saying "$60M isn't enough to run with the Jets."

NCJetsfan and nicg4360 like this.
  5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

and all somehow dropped to us...amazing

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am not trying to give you a hard time..

But the needle is pointing upwards for the Jets because on Offense we got some very talented players at WR and a potential FQB..Darnold will have a immediate IMPACT as a player being a first rounder

To say that these 3 first rounders from the D are IMPACT players is ridiculous ..go on NFL .com and see where Lee, Williams rank.. NOWHERE..garbage picks on the bottom of the barrel D

If Lee was back at OSU the Coach would be happy with some "improvement" . But this is the NFL and as a first rounder in his 3rd year I would expect Probowler at least...sorry. Since Williams got ROTY he has slid..

If I were you I would place more hope in T Johnson who sound s good and cost us 70 million!

boozer32 likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The notion that your putting forward here, that you only invest in the O-line once you have a QB, is downright silly. There is no need to wait to have a franchise crown jewel to build the foundation of a good offense. In fact it would be better investing if you had a solid line before bringing in a QB because their main job is to protect the most important and expensive investment on the team.

Mac has shown little interest in early round lineman and seems to be happy with mediocre vets and late round projects to fill out that area of the team. Suggesting that he never had the freedom to do so is creating your own narrative to explain why he treats the line the way he does where there is nothing to suggest that its the truth. Your are making things up to back up your talking point.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

This is kind of a half truth...while Mac did go on record saying something along the lines of 'decent OL can be found in later rounds', this doesn't mean he's happy with the current talent level of the OL. The last two drafts were not exactly OL friendly - particularly the OTs - and obviously Mac was gunning for his franchise QB this past draft. I think Mac has used the Band-Aid approach with the OL while shoring up other areas of the team in respect to the talent level available at the time. Which is why I'm quite sure the OL will get a facelift this coming offseason now that the most important position has finally been addressed AND there will be a lot of $$$ available. What Mac said is true for almost every position- bargain level players can be found in any round. With that being said if a player who he perceives as the next Anthony Munoz ( as an example ) is staring him in the face when the Jets are on the podium for their first round selection in April then I would be 99.9% sure he'd be the pick........

#28 mrjet80, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He just put up a lot of fantasy stats IMO. You really have to watch the games.

And I’m not even Jewish.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm talking 1st round draft picks here.

Which offensive lineman would you all have taken over the likes of Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold; if you were Macc?

And where were these offensive lineman drafted?

There's a reason why Dallas was able to invest three 1st round draft picks along with one 2nd rounder on their offensive line.

His name was Tony Romo. A franchise signal caller to build their offense around.

Rome & Egypt were not built in a day. To say our GM has ignored or will continue to ignore our offensive line is near sighted.

As if he doesn't understand that his prized QB in which he traded up for... "Doesn't need his blind side protected". Right.

Macc had to first purge the roster full of dead weight leftovers from the Idzik & Ryan regime full of aging veteran's.

There's not a single player from those 2009-2010 Jet teams currently still on our roster.

It's called rebuilding.

And now look.

We're on the verge of having the most cap space of any Franchise heading into next year's offseason, with a Franchise QB hopeful to actually build around.

We've got potential cornerstone Franchise players in Leonard Williams. Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold to build around moving forward. As we had in the Ferguson, Mangold, Harris & Revis core.

Sam Darnold needs a Franchise LT? Great. Macc is now in position to land us one.

Especially with next year's NCAA draft class being absolutely fully loaded with impactful blue-chip offensive lineman prospects.

Our front 7 needs a dominant pass rushing OLB? Great. Macc is now in position to strike, regardless of if it's through the draft or Free Agency.

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I couldn't have said it better myself.......this team was torn completely down and is being rebuilt from scratch. I like the pieces I see so far.....and while Mac has made his share of mistakes - strategically he has thus far done a very good job. I'm looking forward to see where the Jets land in the draft order ( I'm guessing # 10-15 )and what he has planned for this coming off season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Theres some benefit to having Darnold before the OL in that he has very unique pocket movements due to his ability to feel pressure even right off the snap.Where does he most need a clean pocket?where does he like to step up?what types of pressure does he struggle with?All of this is worthwhile information of which to make future roster decisions.

I think having a whole year to evaluate Sam as well as the new blocking scheme before making OL the focal point next offseason which appears to be OL rich will work out very nicely.The QB crowd had their day last april..i think next April the OL dogs will eat.

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Semi off topic but WR is a unit that our GM deserves praise for. If Sam Darnold does indeed start as a rookie, he'll have pass catching playmakers everywhere.

Just seeing Quincy Enunwa's name on Training Camp reports brings me so much hope for our current core of WR's. He's physical like a Brandon Marshall on the outside. He's tough as nails over the middle of the field reminds me of a Coles or Chrebet type. Fearless. And at the age of only 26 he's an impact player and one of my favorites. Q being healthy is big time for this offense. Brings us so much versatility and toughness.

Our current group of receivers are a special unit. Could be our strongest group of receivers in a very long time. Maybe even ever? I'm not just talking about 2 or 3 players either. We're 4 receiver's deep with prospects on the side. 4 receiver's with season's of over 800+ yards. And that's unique amongst the NFL.

✓ Robby Anderson. One of the league's most dangerous deep threats. A game breaker.

✓ Quincy Enunwa. Tough as nails. Can fight on the outside, make plays over the middle, can also line up as a TE in pass situations. An X-Factor.

✓ Jermaine Kearse. One of the NFL's most underrated receivers. One of our best kept secrets. A blessing in disguise during the Sheldon trade put up 65 receptions, 810 yards and 5 TD's as a Jet last year. The definition of an underdog. Undrafted by Seattle back in 2012. Had a redshirt rookie season with only 1 start for 3 receptions. Ever since, he's been a ball player. Has not only played but has also started a total of 78 out of a possible 80 games. Doesn't score a lot of TD's but from 2013-2017 (5 years) has combined for 215 receptions, 2,888 receiving yards and 16 TD's. He's able to line up on the outside as well as play out of the slot. A top tier type of role playing receiver.

A trio of Robby, Quincy & Kearse creates for a very solid trio. Especially when considering you can flip flop both of Enunwa and Kearse from the outside to the slot depending on down, distance and current situation.

✓ Terrelle Pryor. At 6'4 he's fast. Very fast. Came out of college running a 4.38 40. At 6'4 in height and damn near 230lbs he's a Red Zone miss match waiting to happen. Drafted in 2011 but yet wasn't converted to WR until 2016. That's when (2016) he played in 16 games with 15 starts and recorded 77 receptions, 1,007 receiving yards and 4 TD's with Cleveland. And I believe McCown was his QB. With Anderson, Enunwa & Kearse there's a strong possibility that when going spread with 4 wide Terrelle Pryor can give our passing attack an edge.

With the likes of Chad Hansen, ArDarius Stewart and maybe even Charone Peake all battling it out for the 5th spot. My money's on Hansen.

Maybe the word usage of "best ever" is an exaggeration and/or an overstatement but I can't remember a time where I remember a core of WR's as deep as 2018's.

I've heard about and have done my fair share of research on Toon & Walker. I loved Keyshawn & Chrebet. Wish Coles & Moss stayed a duo. Marshall & Decker were so much fun in 2015 but our 3rd receiver of 2015 was actually an RB in Powell with 47 receptions, only 388 receiving yards and 2 TD receptions.

Robby Anderson (25).
    Quincy Enunwa (26).
    Jermaine Kearse (28).
    Terrelle Pryor (29).

When was the last time we had a WR unit oozing this much talent, ability and overall potential?

Chad Hansen (23).
    ArDarius Stewart (24).
    Charone Peake (25).

Not the worst untapped potential and/or developing prospects to have behind a big 4 either.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

You're accurate in your assessment. This up coming draft is expected to be rich in high 1st round offensive lineman prospects.

The bolded part makes complete sense too.

Wouldn't shock me to see the likes of Cleveland, NYJ, Buffalo, Arizona & Baltimore all looking to go O-Line 1st round after the draftings of 1st RD QB's in Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen & Lamar.

NYG's are another team that I can see going O-Line as well, in order to draft a road grader for Saquon Barkley.

Another two teams are Indy & San Fran. Both already went o-lineman 1st round this past draft in order to protect Luck & Jimmy and could very well 'double dip' with a 1st round offensive lineman yet again.

I feel Offensive Line will become the cream of the crop for next year's draft class with edge setting pass rushing 4-3 DE's & 3-4 OLB's as a not so distant 2nd. With the QB class an afterthought.

boozer32 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If your able to identify the next Anthony Munoz you take him, thats easy. He may be the best LT ever and I consider him the best I've ever watched. Its not about that level of talent, but as you stated, he has been on record with being ok finding later round linemen and his track record as a GM shows that to be the case. He has gone with FAs when possible but the band aid approach is only kinda working. We need an infusion of young talent along the line badly, perhaps more than any other area.

boozer32 likes this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I hope your right. We've ignored the area for a very long time. Being spoiled with Guys like Mawae, Faneca, Woody, Brick, Mangold for so long watching this group the last couple years has been painful.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

74.4% of people polled for ESPN’s all under 25 team chose Williams as a starting DL

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24019013/best-nfl-starting-lineup-age-25-picks-offense-defense

PFF named Williams the 16th best player under the age of 25

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-under-25-for-2018

18. boozer32

19. boozer32

Reporters are saying that Williams is tearing it up in training camp. Not a great sign for the offensive lineman of the Jets.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I agree, thank you for furthering my point