General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Comic Con is this week, so a lot of new stuff is being released. I thought instead of making new threads for each we could just post the movie news we are interested in here. Then in the future you can use this thread to talk about movies if you want. Of course, if it is something big, you can start a new thread!

So far the news has been:

-Joaquin Phoenix is starring as The Joker, in the October 2019 film: Joker.
    Hopefully he does a good job. I am not sure what is with all these villains getting solo movies, but at least this one could have potential.

-New trailers for Glass, Godzilla, and Aquaman will be out this week.
    I am excited to see each.

-New Halloween movie coming out this Fall:
    [​IMG]

If you see anything cool, just post it here. It is hard to keep up with all the news that comes out this week. I'll keep adding stuff as I see it.

2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

My thoughts on Joaquin Phoenix were summed up after I walked out of The Master, told my girlfriend “the wrong brother died”. Hated that movie. And while I wasn’t hoping that Philip Seymour Hoffman would die, that was merely coincidence, he sucked in that movie too.

But maybe he’s just weird enough to do a redeemable job as the Joker.

Can’t wait for The First Man about Neil Armstrong.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I am thinking they have a good script and plan for Joker. Can't be worse than the rest of the DC films lately, so I will give it a chance.

And funny you mention First Man, they just released a poster for it too! Looks good.
    [​IMG]

4. The Dark Knight

Great trailer for Glass!

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Loved Unbreakable. Have the dvd, gonna re-watch that and check out Split.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Joaquin Phoenix is the only reason I’m interested in the Joker movie. Not enough to see it in the theatre but I’ll check it out. I don’t blame him for the POS The Master.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

How timely . . .

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/july-20th-1969.90780/

9. The Dark Knight

Lots of trailers today and all of them look pretty good:

Aquaman looks visually amazing at least. Don't know much about Shazam! but it is an interesting premise. Godzilla looks like it will be an okay monster movie and the Fantastic Beasts sequel looks alright. I surprisingly enjoyed the first one.

10. jetophile

Oh, my God, you haven't lived until you've seen the 70s TV version of 'Shazam!' That and 'The Secrets of Isis', both are so delectably cheesy there are no words. Notice the vagina on the pyramid for ISIS, WTF. Same announcer for both.

^The black girl in the 'Isis' intro was replaced by an an Asian actress, whose character's name was Cindy Lee, talk about racial stereotypes. LMAO. OK, I promise not derail this, but this just had to be done . . .

^The premise is just like 'Superman'. All she does is put on a pair of fuggin' glasses and no-one knows she's Isis. If I ever saw Clark Kent, I'd be all, "Hey, Buddy, cut the shit. I know you're Superman. What kind of a crap disguise is that? You're not fooling anyone." Which is exactly what I thought when I used to watch the old '50s 'The Adventures of Superman' show in syndication when I was five. I only watched it to count how many times Jimmy Olsen got his ass kicked. Which was daily. There should be a drinking game about this. As you were.

#10 jetophile, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  11. jetophile

Now that I've seen the 'Godzilla' trailer, I'm not at all pumped to see it (which I previously was). I really like Millie Bobby Brown as an actress and I'm sure she'll rise above the material, but yuck, I detest kid angles in movies when it's just to inject some cheap empathy so we can all saw 'awwww'. All I got from the trailer was a ginormous reptile that is coming for mankind for all our wrongs against nature in a reptile apocalypse but it has emotions and makes a ridiculous sentimental bond with a young girl.

She's gonna cry please don't kill Godzilla because we have this . . . THING! Rhodan is bad! Godzilla not so much! I'm already feeling the annoying, cloying, stupidity of this. I know you have to suspend your disbelief, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and pre-judge a book by its cover. Godzilla being all hey, why don't we hang out sometime is like forming an emotional connection with a crocodile. I'm kind of hating this movie sight unseen. I hope I'm wrong; but with all movies such as this, you're going to be entertained, but if you expect something else other than what it's presented to be, you're defeating your own purpose for going to see it. I'll see what kind of mood I'm in when it comes out. The last thing I am is an art-house snob. Gonna watch the original 'Wasp Woman' tonight for 10th time, maybe the original 'Attack of the 50 Foot Woman' tomorrow. "HARRY!!!!"

12. The Dark Knight

That is funny! I did not know about either of those shows. I really did not know a Shazam! show even existed. I assume he won't be called Captain Marvel in the new movie, since Marvel has their own Captain Marvel film coming out in 2019.

Yeah, I think the Godzilla movie will be like that, but just have to take it for what it is. That was my problem with Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Took it too seriously and hated it.

13. The Dark Knight

Just got back from Mission Impossible: Fallout. By far the best film of the Summer. I had high expectations and it lived up to them and more. Go see it in IMAX if you can. There are some truly amazing action sequences in it. I don't know how Tom Cruise does it at 56 years old. This is Henry Cavill's best performance I have seen too. I was worried about him, but he did a great job.

I'd say the 3 main action franchises of the last 20 years are James Bond, The Bourne films and Mission Impossible. All are great in my opinion, but MI has actually delivered the best recent films. Rogue Nation and Fallout are better than Jason Bourne and SPECTRE. Mission Impossible really is an underrated franchise.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Sorry, I've found Tom Cruise pretty much unwatchable since Jerry Maguire, so I'll pass.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I hope you didn't just watch that Glass trailer then cause spoilersssss

16. The Dark Knight

Hey, that is your opinion. I thought Mission Impossible: Fallout was so good that I joined Scientology today.

phubbadaman and JetBlue like this.
  17. Rollo Tomassi

It's weird because as bad a person he appears to be in real life, I find most of his movies to be actually pretty good.

18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I can't say what might be going on subliminally, but I'm genuinely trying to refer only to his acting. I find him totally morally repugnant, but I find Mel Gibson even more morally repugnant but can recognize his acting ability. I liked Cruise in movies like Top Gun, A Few Good Men, Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July, The Firm, and Jerry Maguire. I've seen him in movies including Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Tropic Thunder, and Knight and Day, and I just found him awful. I can't guarantee that my opinion hasn't been colored by my opinion of him as a person, but I just can't see spending money to see him in a movie at this point.

19. Rollo Tomassi

Yeah, I liked all 4 of those movies. Also Collateral, Last Samurai, Valkyrie, Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion, American Made. Mummy was just a bad movie. The Jack Reacher movies are stupid fun and I read a few of the books so it was nice to see them come to the screen.

The MI movies are pretty entertaining for what they are.

20. jetophile

[​IMG]

Nothing spells gay like trying to speed away from a ball of flame. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.