Raiders cut Hackenberg, Jets get nothing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I knew he was raw and unpolished but I underestimated how bad he was and just what kind of project he was. I thought he'd show enough improvement to get onto the field at least a tiny bit last year.

There were times at Penn State he did look ok. But it's probably been major regression since

Also interesting that some of the stuff that annoyed scouts about him at Penn State (blaming others/circumstances) for his shortcomings have reared their ugly head once more

FJF likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Yea Petty I thought had some value. He's one of those pre season teases. Looks like at all pro and then loses any semblance of composure, accuracy, and timing in the regular season. Petty is also 27 too so how much room for improvement is left?

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

jetophile and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Macc is smarter than you give him credit for. Macc knew in advance that Trump would win, Woody would get shipped out to England, Woody's bro would take over and demand we draft a QB in '17. BUT Macc
    LOL I just came back to this thread to write that!!!! That must have been the 'favor' the Raiders owed us. Good job sir!

FJF likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Depends. If he comes out like Geno or Wentz we'll hear a lot about him.

7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Right, it's not like Chan Gailey is a widely respected offensive coach who orchestrated one of the franchise's best offensive seasons ever with Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB. Yeah, it's definitely not because Hackenberg just sucks balls.

soh_vet likes this.
  8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And the guy who drafted him still has his job....

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know it’s crazy, usually GMs get fired over one botched second round pick all the time. SOJ

stinkyB, Ralebird and Donttasemebro like this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It's clear regarding players' off the field misfortunes, the Jets ownership maintains that level of patience with their leadership as well.

Continuity is paramount at this time despite some of Maccagnan's scratchers. The overall body of work is encouraging.

FJF likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Agreed. I was being sarcastic. Calling for Macc's head right now would be foolish.

GQMartin likes this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

So what exactly did Gruden see in Hackenberg initially when the draft rolled around? He's in Oakland for 10 minutes and gets walking papers? If the joke wasn't somehow ultimately on us for taking him in the first place, this would be a hell of a lot funnier . . . even so . . . hahaha. And I laugh mostly because the more I keep reading about Hackenberg, the more of a baseless self-aggrandizing dick he becomes. And he shit talked the Jets on the way out, lol. He must have been worse than me throwing a Nerf ball. Translation: I'm pretty bad.

Oh, well, it's a bitter pill to swallow, but everyone makes boneheaded mistakes in all walks of life. If MacCagnan puts the right players around Darnold in 2019 & 2020 and he blossoms, this flub is so far in my rearview mirror that you couldn't get me to care if you paid me.

13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

There was a thread in December where someone argued with me that Petty and Hackenburg should start this year. I said they'd be lucky if they were in the NFL. I wish I remember what thread and who it was to see their thoughts now. There was a reason McCown played until he got injured last year. Petty and Hack aren't NFL players. Petty maybe can stick around as a backup. Hack's lucky if he plays in the CFL. Wouldn't surprise me if the AAFL or XFL give him a chance.

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Eventually should mean today. Their season starts in a week or so I believe. Get signed to a team and start learning their game asap.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Ah well. I prefer to swing and miss trying to draft a QB than trying to draft a D-lineman.

Godspeed Hack.

FJF likes this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

That's a huge red flag. That's why I didn't want Rosen. All the reports said that his teammates didn't like him. What makes anyone think that his professional teammates would like him?

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You're not saying alot with the "Chan Gailey orchestrated one of the franchises best offenseive seasons" since that doesn't have anything at all to do with developing a young QB. Relatively speaking, this franchise hasn't exactly been a juggernaut offensively throughout their history so again, Chan Gailey's "accomplishment" with the Jets relative to the rest of the league is at best, mediocre. Hack sucked and so did Petty however, with no coaching almost any young Qb fresh out of college will suck at the professional level. Gailey and Patullo didn't do shit with those kids because I guess they were too busy turning Fitz into .... Fitz. Maybe it was all those PO's and SB appearances that got in the way.

18. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

MEMO TO SELF: If someone says they're selling a game-used Hackenberg jersey at a memorabilia show, don't buy it

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I saw one on eBay, listing said game day worn, New with tags. Pretty sure it’s legit

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Raiders cut Hackenberg, Jets get nothing

nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'

TwoHeadedMonster and Cman68 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.