Official OTAs thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2018.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t think any said he should just get the job.Just that we expect him
    to win the job because mccown isn’t good, 1 or 2 years when he was kinda good aside. Going with what we have heard so far teddy looks good. Now we haven’t heard much of anything on mccown so it’s definitely not a fair assessment but good teddy > good mccown so thinking teddy should start is a fair opinion to have.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I've heard good reports about all 3 QB's so far, which is unusual and encouraging in itself, but there's still no contact.

I don't agree with your assessment that 'McCown isn't good', when he proved he was good for the Jets last season.
    Teddy hasn't played in 2+ seasons, and proved very little in his short career, so thinking Teddy should start (just because) is not a fair opinion imo.

We'll have to agree to disagree, and more importantly let the play on the field determine it.

Can we at least agree that whoever starts won the job, and isn't some factor of Bowles?

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

McCown choked against the Dolphins, I hate losing to the Fins more than anything and I remember McCown in that game throwing an ugly INT in the 4th. There was like a min left in the game too.

Falcons, I think the entire team choked it away, but Josh did the team no favors. I think that was one of the games where the play calling was pretty bad and couldn't get the calls in, and that led to a penalty on the Jets to end a late 4th qtr drive.

Those 2 games were big time chokes. It was after that game I think Bowles said the team lacked a killer instinct.

Teddy would've won both those games, cause hes extremely good under pressure.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

In both games, if the coaches kept on the throttle we win.
    We had a 28-14 lead in the 4th quarter of the Dolphin game.
    McCown threw 3 TD's and ran 1 TD personally.

And then for some reason, the coaches went into a complete conservative shell, stopped passing, and went soft on D.
    The 4th Q INT McCown threw was bad, but that was after the leas was already blown. it should never have come to that. If the coaches kept on the throttle we close that game out easily.

I think it's a bit of a cop out to put that loss on McCown, as he did more than enough to win and actually played a very good game.
    I don't think Teddy puts up the 4 TD's to put us in that position to win (especially considering he had no knee last year :p)

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Encouraging to hear Darnold is showing off and improving, I have a feeling he's going to end up starting week 1.

My tinfoil hat theory is that McCown was only signed as an insurance policy if Bridgewater didn't pan out and we didn't land our guy, if I remember correctly we didn't have the 3rd pick yet. I think this competition is between Teddy and Darnold, with Darnold winning it.

Jay Bizniss and Greenstar like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Understandable, but at the end of the day McCown put the Fins in position to win the game. Matt Moore tied the game up so the D didn't play great I agree, but you have to control what you can control and McCown throwing that pick was a back breaker. Could've went to OT instead. Maybe the Jets win that day.

Teddy in that situation from what I have seen doesn't make those mistakes late in games. Maybe he doesn't throw 4 TDs, but he doesn't lose games for his team in the final moments either. I am sure somehow they would've put up points with Teddy under center.

I don't wanna see McCown out there, hes a decent teacher but I want to win games, and the Jets need someone that can pull the team together late and keep them in games. Teddy went 11-5 and AP and an awful offensive line. But we shall see, I like what the jets have in the QB room.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  7. Greenstar

Greenstar New Member

Yes it is!

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

We also need a trade partner so a starter has to go down somewhere like Tannehill last season

Would be awesome if all goes to plan and we get a 2nd rounder for him

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Basically just turned 21 too. We're still in such early stages but this is so exciting to hear. Especially after the Petty/Hack disasters. The best we'd hope for as Jets fans in terms of QB play was "meh" (Fitzpatrick) with Sanchez was just such a coin flip pass to pass it seemed. Will he make a competent NFL throw or will he look like a flustered confused jackass telegraphing passes to the other team.

With Darnold I don't think there's any doubt his upside is top 10 QB in the league. The question is can he take it a step further and be in that top 5 elite class?

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't possibly disagree more. We know what McCown is. He is a limited QB who seems to choke in the 2nd half of most games. He had a career year last year. The odds of his repeating that his year must be astronomical. Even on one leg, Teddy is a much better QB. He's more accurate, makes better decisions and is a better leader. I think that Teddy not only gives us the best chance to win the most games this season but playing him also makes a heck of a lot more sense than McCown. There's little to be gained by starting and playing McCown. The more Teddy plays, shows he is healthy, and the better he and the Jets do, the more the Jets will get in return in a trade. I wish that we could keep Teddy long term, but I know that isn't happening now that we have Darnold. Therefore, I hope that Teddy starts and lights it up early so the Jets can get as high a draft pick in possible in return for him. I also hope that in this audition, Teddy gets a chance to go somewhere else, start and have a great career. I love Teddy. I'd almost rather keep him and trade Darnold.

nycarl and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more wrong about Teddy and McCown imo.

12. FJF

I am not saying teddy should start just because. I am saying he should start because he looks good . The only reason mccown should start is because the other two don’t look like viable options be it health, ability what ever.
    And yes, we agree that the Bowles doesn’t play rookies narrative is just plain false and dumb

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

'On paper', McCown will start. He is the incumbent and by far the most experienced.

Teddy Bridgewater is no doubt a younger/better QB, but he literally had his leg ripped off. His own players thought he was losing his leg forever. It was that bad. Regardless of how good he looks in shorts and t-shirts, he really needs to SHINE in pre-season games, including getting nailed more than once and getting back up. Could Teddy rip the job from McCown during his limited pre-season snaps? Small possibility, but possible. It's more likely Teddy will play well in TC and get traded after the 4th PS game. Bowles won't dress 3 QBs, so why keep 3 QBs?

Sam would benefit tremendously by sitting behind McCown, (a rookie QB's dream coach) ideally for the full season, but we all know McCown will eventually go McCown and start losing 3-4-5 games in a row and Bowles will have no choice but to bring on the future.

So there you have it. On paper, McCown starts, Teddy plays well and is traded, Sam starts as the BUFFQB (Back Up Future Franchise QB) and watches and learns until the drone of the fans chanting SAM! SAM! SAM! forces Bowles hand.

And the rest, as they say, is History.

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to see them get back to running the ball the way they did in'15 when they were 10th in the NFL, with Crowell the spear head like Ivory was when they were pounding it downhill, then mixing in Powell and McGuire.
    An upgrade at C, healthy Winters, and Shell going up the curve could make it possible.

If they have that as a goal and can get to that point I would like to see Teddy win the competition for that. Easier said than done. But that would prolly help McCown as well so that they wouldn't be as reliant on McCown to carry the O like he did at times and when he forced things as well.

If Teddy and Darnold are playing well I wouldn't be so eager to trade Teddy myself.

Gonna be a fun preseason if all three continue to improve and stay healthy. That will be tough decisions based on good scenarios. A good problem to have for a change.

FJF likes this.
  15. FJF

There’s a pretty good chance we get a strong focus on the run game. Bates comes from the shanahan tree and mike shanahan has a way of producing 1,000 yard rbs out of no name players.

101GangGreen101 and Walt White like this.
  16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Hope so. Would love to see that.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think Crowell is going to have a great year under Bates. He’s a great fit for what this offense is most likely going to do. If he OL can make some space he can capitalize with the skill set he has.

FJF likes this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

I love love love absolutely love how I'm reading reports on how Sam Darnold as only a rookie kid is showing signs of beautiful touch on his passers along with lots of accuracy (with zip); rather than stories of hitting reporters on the sidelines with footballs due to lack of accuracy.

I can't imagine a high octane NY Jets offense. The best I ever seen was those Curtis Martin days, which i loved; but we always had a limited QB.

What if Darnold really is the truth, the real deal? Like. We could have just struck gold with a high flying offense right around the corner. And a defense being led by kids like Jamal Adams and Leonard Williams.

Man. Move over AFC East we could have a new Sheriff in town.

P.S: I CAN'T WAIT (Bart Scott voice) for Spring Training and Preseason! CAN'T WAIT!

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Just a passing comment here folks but is it me or I detect from some of the responses a new theme developing. Sounds like this: "Hurry up and play Darnold as soon as possible no matter what, because Teddy is not all that good anyway" Nonsense. Lets not once again act in haste and repent in leisure.
    First off let me be clear, I'm very,very happy from everything I hear about Sam. Sounds like the kid has a rare mix of talent and poise. He might not be world class in any one category but has the breath and depth to be very good across all categories. That is the mark of a winner.
    Having said that, it seems to me many here are now changing their tune and beginning to minimize Teddy's capabilities to justify him solely as trade bait and start the season with Darnold. How quickly we forget that not too long ago we were trashing the GM for not drafting Teddy and subsequently pointing out how nicely he was coming along until his unfortunate injury. Now all of the sudden he was never actually all that good and we better just get what we can in a trade now. Not so fast folks.
    Darnold has not put the pads on yet, has not seen how the NFL defensive coverages and pass rushes disguise formations. He has a way to go. I think we would be blessed if Teddy steals the show from McCown to begin the year and Darnold learns behind both of these guys as the season starts. Having Teddy succeed along with Darnold continuing growth is a win-win situation.
    Half way thru the season the value of Teddy would increase exponentially if he gets back to form. Then we would have the rich man problem. If Teddy is on a winning streak we stay pat, if we play competitive but fall short, be it due to poor coaching or insufficient talent, we have options to stack up extra picks.
    For once we could be in the drivers seat. Lets not rush to screw it up,.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Teddy Pickwater with 3 INTs in camp today. Darnold supposedly throwing very well again especially on the move. Another great Chad Hansen performance. Perry Nickerson flashing as well.

K'OB, Jets81, hwismer and 2 others like this.