Kickoff Rule Changes

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Ralebird, May 24, 2018.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Any other time we'd have a couple of hundred posts by now about NFL rules changes that actually can have an effect on the way the game is played (and its pussification), instead we have hundreds of posts about the NFL's concern with a song being played at the games.

There were seven changes to kickoff rules which will slow down the action and make an onside kick even harder to pull off, all in the name of player safety. Sounds to me like another reason to push people away from the game.

No running starts - the kicking team players must now be within one yard of the kickoff line rather than five yards to keep them from getting a running start.

No two-man wedges - with a complicated explanation that requires a video to explain.

No uneven lines. Five guys must now be on each side of the ball rather than the old minimum of four in order to minimize the kicking team's advantage in an onside kick situation.

Those are the major ones I remember but it is a total of seven changes - the article I read didn't even attempt to define two of them and the NFL can't even put it on paper apparently but they did make that video that should chart it out for anyone interested enough. I didn't even bother looking for it because I had already wasted so much time trying to find out about real rules changes when a couple of hundred articles talked about that song.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Kick offs used to be great. Waste of bloody time now.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The good news is you now have an extra 2 minutes to get back from the bathroom or kitchen after a score.

egelband, dawinner127 and Cman68 like this.
  4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Jets haven't had a good special teams play since Westhoff left. Anything that involves special teams can be ignored by our fanbase.

egelband and Franchize like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Might as well just start at the 20 and eliminate kickoffs altogether..

alleycat9, NYJ79, Sam Hammer and 7 others like this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm getting to this point as well. Why even bother? Everyone knows that the speed of players on Kickoffs is a huge danger, but these rule changes make what could be an exciting play just point less and boring. Just eliminate it already.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  8. stinkyB

The whole thing is bullshit and a farce that they give a shit about "player safety"....... "Look what we did to make the game safer" (while having play on thursday after a few days "rest".... and the ongoing attempt to add more games to the schedule (which will add even more watered down shitty football games)

Eliminating kickoffs eliminates a big strategic part of the game, and pretty much a reason to stop watching if a team is down with under a minute to go.....

Sam Hammer likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Jets have 3 games in 10 days # playersafety

stinkyB, Leicester Jet and NY Jets68 like this.
  10. stinkyB

Maybe theyre secretly hoping that there will be so many soft tissue and ligament injuries that they wont be able to get concussions

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

NFL always trying to put a bandaid on top of a bandaid.

Just eliminate kickoffs and Thursday night games

matt robinson 17, FJF and Cman68 like this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

At this point they should just have James Dearth long snap the ball from the EZ for every team and be done with it. I mean, isn't part of the excitement watching someone take off for great field position or evading and possibly getting a TD? If it's not against that the Jets, that is. How long ago did ago did the Jets actually have a KO return for a TD? Probably before I was born - and I'm older than dirt. I know it's been a pathetic drought, though. :/

EDIT & P.S.: Agree with stinkyb. Behind the scenes, the NFL doesn't give two craps about player safety.

#12 jetophile, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Replace the kickoff with a 4th and 15 from your own 35.

The majority of the time teams will punt, which is a way safer play than the kickoff.

In onside kick situations, teams will go for it, which at that distance has roughly the same conversion rate (~20%) and in my opinion is way more fun than an onside kick anyway. With a game on the line would you rather watch people desperately trying to recover a ball randomly bouncing around, or the best QBs in the league in a do or die scenario?

15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

It's about the illusion that they are attempting to make changes for player safety purposes. That way when players file suits against the league years from now they can point to a track record of making changes and hopefully not have to fund a massive settlement pool of money. The recent cases showed clearly they did nothing in the attempt to improve safety and in fact hid safety issues they knew about thus they had to fork over a huge pile of money for a settlement pool. This is all about trying to reduce the amount of any future settlement pool. They don't give a rats ass about player safety. If they did they'd outlaw hard helmets and hard shell shoulder pads etc.

Sam Hammer and stinkyB like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

According to NFL MOST concussions take place during the Kickoff These Rule changes may or may not work..I am in healthcare so I support player safety
    They need to see if the number of concussions are reduced from it..so be prepared for a year or more of research

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Helmets and Pads
    protects players too.,so why would they outlaw them??)

18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Helmets and pads are used as offensive weapons. If players were taught to keep their heads out of harm's way, rather than leading with them, there would be fewer concussions. Rugby players are taught to place their head to the side of the target player- why can't NFL players do the same?

The sports are different. I accept that, But there are mammoth tackles in rugby that don't involve heads.

egelband, NYJetsO12 and Leicester Jet like this.
  19. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I HATE how the players always take a knee in the endzone now on kickoffs, damn freaking snowflakes!!! There is a time and place for that but not in my endZone!

20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Brilliant
    I love it
    Lobby the No Fun League now

Big Cat likes this.