The Jets’ Long Road to Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, May 16, 2018.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I just finished reading this and knew someone would have posted it here!

What an awesome story! Hoping like hell this all works out the way I think it will!

NYJalltheway, Jets69, LF911SC and 3 others like this.
  4. Jay Bizniss

Unreal how they begin looking at these dudes wayyy before we even know their names. Shows you how much behind the scenes work there is to drafting a guy.

LF911SC and themorey like this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Can't help but be excited about him. Also impressed with the degree of preparedness by the Jets FO in scouting these prospects and taking a proactive approach.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That was a great read. Thanks

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Maccagnan seems like an extremely likable dude. Between the stuff with the kids and then telling the head of security he drafted Darnold because that guy told him to. Also, very impressive work done by him. I'm sure plenty of this is hindsight, but man it almost seems like Macc went the Fitz/McCown route knowing full well Darnold was going to be a stud.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

All I know is that Sam Darnold better watch that mole! What's up with that thing! It's so big they could name a planet after it! Remember Mark Sanchez! He had the Milky Way on his face! A goddamn constellation! I kept trying to tell if it was Capricorn or Sagittarius! No! It was Cancer!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

Disclaimer: Not in any shape or form making light of cancer.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Nah, he got fitz as a backup to geno. Got mccown to backup hack. Just so happens that neither could be the starter.

CBG likes this.
  10. FJF

Drew Brees has a huge mole.
    Sam darnold = drew Bree!
    Now if we can find a rb willing to bang a Kardashian...... championship!

CBG and themorey like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

No I know that, I'm saying made the decision to bring them on board knowing that you can get by on one-year rentals until the 2018 draft.

12. FJF

I’ll buy that he skipped Watson and mahomes last year with an eye on this years draft if hack didn’t pan out,but hack was meant to be a starting qb

CBG likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

I dunno... them looking at Darnold back in 2015 to me says the eye was always towards the future. But regardless, that doesn't get him off the hook for the horrendous pick he made. One of the worst picks in franchise history. At least Mike Nugent played a game.

NYJalltheway, CBG and FJF like this.
  14. Jay Bizniss

I don't hold it anywhere near as high as the Gholston pick. 2nd rounder ehhh sucks but not breaking the franchise. I agree he reached, but sitll.

CotcheryFan, Walt White and stinkyB like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

At least Gholston was projected to be a top player in the draft. It's not like the Jets reached for a guy that was a projected 2nd rounder with a top 10 pick. I think everyone BUT Macc knew that Hackenberg was a terrible QB.

CotcheryFan, FJF and Jay Bizniss like this.
  16. jetophile

Not in any shape or form making light of cancer! You missed the Word Play, you idiot! Screw that disease sideways! I call the old man's family The Cancer Family! It's no joke! If they were The Adams Family, I'd be great with that, but no! Nothing but ca! Every minute! We've all lost people to it and hope and strength to those that are suffering from or with this bag of cat scat! Horrible tragedy here a couple of years ago! What else is new! Kardashian! Reggie Bush! Turns out he wasn't worth a bird in the hand and two in her bush! Remember when everyone was chanting Reggie Reggie Reggie at the Jets game! What a bunch of idiot losers! One of the original stupid Jets 'tanking' things! I was disgusted! I threw my knish on the floor of The Old Dump! I felt bad before we left because the clean up people shouldn't have to deal with me being crotchety so I picked it up because I'm not a slob like you! Speaking of crotchety, my crotch is itchy! That damn dye free detergent, I'm returning it and I'll start using lye and kerosene again! Maybe I got crabs I don't know!

Signed,

#16 jetophile, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sounds like we already have a RB bumpin uglies with a Kardashian!

Voltron is coming together!

FJF likes this.
  18. jetophile

You didn't even put the cranky face in the right place! Another idiot that's probably 4th grade reading level! On purpose! What goes on in Florida! Buncha hicks down there! Don't get eaten by an alligator . . . I hope so!

Signed,

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From what I read here it seems MAcc was in love with Darnold from the start (2015), which is why he passed on Mahomes and Watson last year. But he really gambled by not insisting that Bowles play Petty/Hack and "competitively tank". It was a massive stroke of luck for him to get the Colts pick AND the Browns and Giants passing on Darnold. That's not genius, that just brass balls, and while I give him all the credit for pulling it off, I still think the smarter play would've been to "tank". That approach would've done two things:

1. Clearly give Petty/Hack every chance to succeed, or clearly show they weren't capable.
    2. Secured the top pick and guaranteed Darnold for them.

All that said, it's hard to criticize Macc at this point. He's obviously a professional and believes in his approach, and while it hasn't pad the dividends I'm waiting for, it's moving in that direction. I just hope it pays off before I die.

NYJalltheway, NCJetsfan, CBG and 2 others like this.
  20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

NFL teams don't tank. Too few guarantees on what players will become and who will be available at which spot after the first.

Mogriffjr, TonyFtLaud and Walt White like this.