Barlow out of the running as rotation cut to 2 backs. - Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Barlow has never been good, it is one of the great mysteries what the FO saw in him to warrant giving up a decent draft pick for him. As far as I'm concerned it is the only questionable move by this FO so far.. We know Barlow is trash, always has been, good idea finding out about the other two before the offseason. Chances are though that RB is gonna be a top proirity for the offseason.

2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I disagree. We have 2 very young backs in Leon and Cedric. Let Leon use his speed and shifty moves, then switch it up with Cedric and his power. These 2 can lead our backfield for the next 7-8 yrs.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Curtis Martin walked into the front office and said, "I told you to draft a Running Back in April and you didn't, and now I am through and can't run any more. I think I'm f@cked."

The FO panicked and reached out to... well... to... well, Barlow will do and he's available, so let's do it. It's as simple as that and we gave far too much for this guy, especially because it was understood right then and there that we were acquiring a stop-gap RB. And the rest is history.

But many decisions probably go down in this fashion. Look at Belichick hiring Vinnie Testaverde. Bizaare is not the word. It happens and it's done and now we need to fix the Barlow problem with more permanance.

4. Attackett

Neither one of them has shown me anything to think they will be the future of the position. I think Leon will carve out a nice role for himself with this team in the future but has to many obstacles to overcome to become a featured RB. Forgetting about his size for a minute he seems to have a big time ball security issue which is probably the reason for his lack of carries lately and will be in the future as well. Houston might be a guy to get the tough yards occasionly but I don't see anything more than that, if he is even on this team past this season. I'm pretty sure RB will be a top priority heading into the draft & would not surprise me one bit if that is the direction we go in the first round..

5. RobA

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. But with Leon's breakaway speed, and Houston's power, I could see them splitting the carries for a long time. Without a true feature back.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Don't forget we've got Washington's 2nd Round pick. Go Anybody Opposing The Redskins!

7. Attackett

Exactly, that is one of the least talked about moves of this past offseason and also one of the best.. Maybe we'll end up getting our QB & RB of the future out of that trade..

8. Attackett

I hate the RBBC approach. Why not just get a RB that has the speed and power and can get 25+ carries a game. Every RB will tell you they get better the more carries they get & they start to get into a groove.. Something tells me Marshawn Lynch is gonna be RobA favorite Jet next year..:grin:

9. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Hey Barlow put up good numbers on an awful 9ers O last year, so giving up a four for him seemed like a good deal at the time. After seeing how he fits THIS team, however, it just seems like we wasted a 4 on a houston clone...except for the injury (if he wasn't here we woulda been screwed), it just seems like he and CH are the same guy, if not Ced a little better...let's see how our own version of thunder and lightening work so we know where to spend our dough and pix next year...and try to get something for Kevin "Clone" Barlow. Good move ManGenius! as usual...

10. Attackett

Barlow had 581 yards with a whopping 3.3 ypc last year. I wouldn't exactly call that putting up good #s. I thought it was a horrible trade at the time and still do.

11. All Star

All Star Active Member

Having Houston, Barlow, and Washington makes no sense........

It's either Barlow, or Houston, personally I like Houston better, he managed about 3.7? YPC last year with our horrid line, with him and Washington its kinda like thunder and lightning......

12. lightning

lightning Active Member

You may want to brush your teeth after spitting out that bullshit...

13. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

After Lee Suggs came to visit, I'm sure Kevan Barlow looked like a stud.

Meanwhile, everyone needs to get off the Herm ruining C-Mart's career stuff. Most RBs have a career of like 3 good years. Curtis had a lot more than that. Goes with the territory.

That being said, Barlow's value is completely for short yardage situations. Other than that, he's trash. The run blocking is not that great. That's why you need an RB that can bounce outside, which Leon is best at. Barlow can fight forward pretty well as seen in the Pats game but if he isn't going on a draw, he's a lock for 0-1 yards.

14. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

see in the post today that barlow said he will be happy as long as the jets win with watever role mangini gives him...

yeah right.. :)

15. RobA

If the jets drafted a RB on day 1 of the 07 draft, I would be shocked.

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

if they dont i would be shocked.. its a glaring hole. we dont have a true feature back on this team . mangini knows that why do you think we are even doing rbbc.

17. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I believe that's what you call "the last straw"

18. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

does anyone think barlow should be active this sunday, if only on the chance there is snow? for christ sake the guy was a huge part of the win in new england, and if it is horrible conditions, i'd like the guy to get some carries...shaun alexander had what, like 200 yards on 40 carries? if we can get houston, leon, and barlow, not to mention brad smith a combined 40 carries, i think we win the game

19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

thats the only time his jukes work.. when the defense cant run full speed cause there sliding every where.

20. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Marshawn Lynch > Leon or Cedric

If he's available and the Jets pass on him, they'll be kicking themselves for years to come. I doubt he'll be available at the Jets pick. The guy is a good receiver out of the backfield (ideal for Chad) and is a legit homerun threat.