Shane Ray Available?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Nesquik, May 2, 2018.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I only bring it up and post it on the main forum because Mac has done this already during the draft with getting a starter in Henry Anderson. The Broncos just declined to pick up Rays option for 2019 and with them drafting Chubb at the same position the writing is on the wall. With 4 sacks as a rookie, 8 sacks his second season and 1 following his injury riddled season in 2017. He'll be available could we trade for Shane Ray before the season starts?

EDGE is at this point with QB being resolved our biggest need. And with this years draft being relatively weak at the position overall i think it was smart to target other positions like D-Line instead of reaching for talent late in the draft. But it was and still remains a position of great need and would really help put this defense over the top. Trade for Ray and have him play out here so we have his rights before FA starts next year.

BRONCOS HIGHLIGHTS

MIZZOU HIGHLIGHTS

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

There will be pass rushers available as FAs for '19. This is another building year for the Jets. No need to lose equity on a position we can fill via FA or the draft in '19,

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He does look a need, what is his likely cost ?

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Wonder what draft pick it would take. If I'm Macc I'm calling Denver today.

Nesquik likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What’s the difference between using a 2019 pick/ cap space on a pass rusher now or next April?

Harpua and Nesquik like this.
  6. FJF

I wouldn’t say no outright. If he is available for the right price I’d do it.

CBG and Nesquik like this.
  7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I would definitely consider it for a 3rd or 4th Round Pick.

Nesquik likes this.
  8. Nesquik

Yeah but trading for him outright guarantees u get him at your price, im sure other teams are looking at him already. For a position that has continually been over "overpaid" in FA i wouldnt want to sign one in the open market. You can get into a bidding war and end up regretting the contract by year 3. Trading for him should cost a Day 3 pick and name me all the day 3 gems you get at that value. Ill wait....

And as for guys in 2019 to wait for i dont really see anyone coming here, Theres Jadeveon Clowney who fits on the line better than standing up, Anthony Barr who will get really big money if he isnt franchised and Shaq Barett who is the Broncos 3rd backer at this point and someone they could resign back instead of Ray.

K'OB and FJF like this.
  9. Nesquik

Day 3 should get it done, Denver showed their cards on how much they value him by declining the option, and with Von already commanding QB money, Chubb should be an immediate starter and Shaq Barrett is the best rotational edge in the league. Dont see them signing him back at all itd be best for both sides to part so Ray gets playing time and Denver recoups atleast something in FA before they get nothing.

10. FJF

Donte Fowler?,jags declined his option also.

TonyFtLaud, Red Menace and Nesquik like this.
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree. I'd like to get him but without a second round pick I don't want to give up anymore picks and we can wait for him for next year or someone else. No need to give up anything at this point. If we were an edge away from a Super Bowl I would but don't give up anything more for next year.

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Getting him at your price for a one year rental. He's still a FA at the end of the season and the Jets will still have to out bid other teams for him . Giving up a draft pick doesn't make sense at this point. We're not likely playoff contenders in 18.

All Gas No Shake, LAJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We still have picks left??? Lol

That and a boatload of cash

Well you have to take a long look at who will be available come draft time vs this guys value..but definitely a consideration if he is not too old..is Mac ready to do this ? Cash payment when he is a FA is really my preference tbh

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Man, that guy's turned out to be a disappointment

15. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Yea but getting him in early gives you the benefit of seeing how he meshes with the pieces we already have, without shelling out $50 million dollars. If we could trade a 6 rounder for him, I am all for it.

FJF and Nesquik like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

What's to see, he's decent against the pass and way below average vs the run. And is still a one year rental. Not worth giving up a pick .

17. Jay Bizniss

Name 3 sixth round picks that have worked out for us. Would you rather a low pick, or 50 million?

FJF likes this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

Klecko ,Enunwa, Richie Anderson.
    Let's not forget about IK Enemkpali who spared us from another season of your boy Geno . That alone was worth a 6th round pick o_O
    No where are you getting your figure of $50 million?
    Ray is a one year rental. "IF " he suddenly puts it all together , the Jets will still have to pay him market value in 19. It's not either /or. I don't understand why that's so hard for you to grasp.
    Looking at recent draft history, that 6th pick likely becomes multiple picks or a 2020 5th.
    Does Ray make this year's team a playoff contender ?
    If not why give up anything for him when you still have to pay him next off season or watch him walk to the highest bidder.

19. Jay Bizniss

You just named three guys that were drafted 20+ years apart each. Exactly my point. We are the highest bidder next year. We have 100+ million in cap space, tops in the league. You let him come in this year as sort of a try out. Low risk very high reward if he pans out. I would rather see him for a year in our system and see how he does, instead of taking a leap of faith next year giving him all this money not knowing if he will fit. The Broncos play different schemes and all of that, so why not see how he does in our system? IF he shits the bed, ok cool, bye. IF he balls out, we know what he can do with Lee and Williamson and the d-line, and we pay him what he wants to stay.

Get on the phone Mac. Make it happen.

FJF likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

You asked for 3, I gave you 3 !
    Now your saying that we're going to pay him. Where's the $50 million savings?
    Next year's draft is deep at OLB. We are going to be drafted high enough to pick a better play than Ray and have him for 5 years at a fraction of what your suggesting we pay a slightly below average player.
    Denver's D is much better than ours, especially up front freeing up Ray and he failed to impress. IMO he's not the answer.
    I understand you feel he's an all pro being misused in Denver and Bowles and Rodgers have a tremendous history of taking second and third string players from other teams and scheming them into position to Excell.....